Sharing sound between multiple applications

SonusProject

Question

I feel I used to be able to have iTunes and Cakewalk open at the same time and both would produce sound.  It is one of the methods I used to transcribe songs.  Listen, figure it out, listen, figure it out, and so on.

Today, however, I can only get a single app to play sound and it is the app opened first.  If I open a second app there will be no sound until I close the first app.  Then the second will respond with sound.  This includes other apps like Melodyne and even a browser.

It seems that each app or the sound device is taking or offering exclusive use.  I have changed anything and I don't see any settings so far that indicate exclusivity it used.

Any thoughts?

3 answers to this question

Make sure the DAW and Windows are set to the same sample rate. 

This also holds true for any program that can set it sample rate independently from the OS such as Melodyne.

Make the programs are not setup for exclusive use such as WASAPI Exclusive drive mode in CbB.

Here is one way to check and set the sample rate in Windows

• Like 1

Checking these now.

CbB:

image.png.852c22afe2d58197212bb38184fd939c.png

Presonus Fire Studio:  However, when I click Test, it indicates another device has control.  Still digging.

image.png.e7a79727e9fb6a1cb51229a47ee8858a.png

Steinberg UR242:  Click Test works as expected.

image.png.1041b1e77a2227a4a31341e636284732.png

Monitor 1: Click Test works as expected.

image.png.6291d83f2fbf3aebcf1ef2a5fdc38858.png 

Monitor 2: No sound and I don't know that it every did have sound.

image.png.f46cc93773b31f28bb0ae01ef8905da8.png

Melodyne 5: Will not allow me to change the rate.  Currently 44.1Khz.

iTunes just follows the Windows default.

Now, the last thing I searched for was what is the default device for sound?  When I did I was presented with a list containing some open apps.  It is here that I was able to change from Default to another option for iTunes and Edge browser.  In my case the UR242 which bypasses the Presonus Fire Studio and goes straight to the speakers.  I know I did not change these settings and therefore, I suspect Windows changed the settings on the major update several days ago.

Hopefully, anyone getting stuck with this issue can benefit from the suggestions from Scook and the path I followed to diagnose based on Scook's post.

Have a nice weekend.

Lance

image.png

Edited by SonusProject

I want to share one more bit of info.

I decided to repipe the interaction between the Presonus Fire Studio and the Steinberg UR242.

Originally, I used both devices  so the UR242 was a volume control and closer to my hands when working.  The Fire Studio piped into the UR242.  I now have reversed that.  All sounds generated by the computer, that are not my studio equipment sounds, roll through the UR242 and pipe to the Fire Studio. 

Now all sounds can play simultaneously (chaos incurs) and I have the ability to control the input volume from sounds outside of the DAW very easily and everyone plays nicely together.

Again, thanks Scook for getting me to think smarter.

Regards,

Lance