How do I give keystrokes (data entry, keyboard shortcuts, etc.) to my ARA region FX window??

winkpain

Question

How do I give keystrokes (data entry, keyboard shortcuts, etc.) to my ARA region FX window??

For example: I have opened a track in a Spectral Layers Region FX window and want to use my SL workflow with its corresponding shortcuts and other computer keyboard entries to edit the clip within that environment, but the Cakewalk shortcuts currently maintain when in the SL Region FX (or other ARA) window.  A couple obvious scenarios are:

1. using Ctrl-Z to UNDO my last edit in Spectral Layers will actually undo the adding of the Region FX (i.e., my last action in the Cakewalk environment), thereby removing Spectral Layers and all my edits therein however many I have done at that point! (this one is a major bummer after many edits!)
  2. highlighting a data entry point in the Spectral Layers window in order to type in a numerical value for the setting will not enter my typed value but rather successively choose the CW Screensets associated with the typed numerals.

There must be a setting somewhere for this similar to giving keystokes to plugin windows, yes???

Edited by winkpain

8 answers to this question

15 hours ago, winkpain said:

For example: I have opened a track in a Spectral Layers Region FX window and want to use my SL workflow with its corresponding shortcuts and other computer keyboard entries to edit the clip within that environment, but the Cakewalk shortcuts currently maintain when in the SL Region FX (or other ARA) window.  A couple obvious scenarios are:

1. using Ctrl-Z to UNDO my last edit in Spectral Layers will actually undo the adding of the Region FX (i.e., my last action in the Cakewalk environment), thereby removing Spectral Layers and all my edits therein however many I have done at that point! (this one is a major bummer after many edits!)
  2. highlighting a data entry point in the Spectral Layers window in order to type in a numerical value for the setting will not enter my typed value but rather successively choose the CW Screensets associated with the typed numerals.

There must be a setting somewhere for this similar to giving keystokes to plugin windows, yes???

Click the Help button in the Melodyne view and there Cakewalk specific online help section will open, I think. If it just opens the general help section, look around on the left near the top and pick Cakewalk as your DAW.

2 hours ago, Bill Phillips said:

Click the Help button in the Melodyne view and there Cakewalk specific online help section will open, I think. If it just opens the general help section, look around on the left near the top and pick Cakewalk as your DAW.

Thank you for your response, but perhaps you meant it for another post?

My current issue is how to give keystrokes to, specifically, Spectral Layers within the ARA integration. This is also desired for Melodyne as well, it is true, but even so the help section there, "Melodyne in Cakewalk with ARA" nor the help section in Spectral Layers mention anything about keystrokes while in ARA mode.

I guess I could put the question more succinctly as:

In Cakewalk, when using a plugin, there is an option in the upper right corner of the plugin window to toggle "Give all keystrokes to plug-in" (pictured).

Where is this same function for an ARA "plugin" ??

Screenshot 2021-01-18 113609.png

3 hours ago, winkpain said:

Thank you for your response, but perhaps you meant it for another post?

My current issue is how to give keystrokes to, specifically, Spectral Layers within the ARA integration. This is also desired for Melodyne as well, it is true, but even so the help section there, "Melodyne in Cakewalk with ARA" nor the help section in Spectral Layers mention anything about keystrokes while in ARA mode.

I guess I could put the question more succinctly as:

In Cakewalk, when using a plugin, there is an option in the upper right corner of the plugin window to toggle "Give all keystrokes to plug-in" (pictured).

Where is this same function for an ARA "plugin" ??

Sorry. No I was responding to you and somehow got the idea you were asking about Melodyne. I'm not familiar with Spectral Layers but if their documentation is on par with Melodyne's, my response might still be applicable. I've also never used the give all keystrokes to plugin functionality. I'll have to try that. I'm accustomed to the keystrokes going to the application with the focus.

1 minute ago, Bill Phillips said:

Sorry. No I was responding to you and somehow got the idea you were asking about Melodyne. I'm not familiar with Spectral Layers but if their documentation is on par with Melodyne's, my response might still be applicable. I've also never used the give all keystrokes to plugin functionality. I'll have to try that. I'm accustomed to the keystrokes going to the application with the focus.

Thanks, @Bill Phillips.  I took the implied "check the help documentation" to heart. However, there was nothing there about keystrokes when in ARA mode with either product.

I too am accustomed to keystrokes simply going to whatever window has focus. That is why I got confused when in these ARA applications that this does not happen by default.

I'm curious: in your use of Melodyne within Cakewalk, can you be working in the Melodyne window, perform an action, and then use Ctrl-Z to undo that action in Melodyne? or does it simply undo the instantiation of Melodyne??  This second one is what happens for me.

14 hours ago, winkpain said:

Thanks, @Bill Phillips.  I took the implied "check the help documentation" to heart. However, there was nothing there about keystrokes when in ARA mode with either product.

I too am accustomed to keystrokes simply going to whatever window has focus. That is why I got confused when in these ARA applications that this does not happen by default.

I'm curious: in your use of Melodyne within Cakewalk, can you be working in the Melodyne window, perform an action, and then use Ctrl-Z to undo that action in Melodyne? or does it simply undo the instantiation of Melodyne??  This second one is what happens for me.

Ok, I quickly opened Melodyne for a track, used the pitch tool to correct the pitch of a note, typed Ctrl-Z and the correction was canceled. My problems with Melodyne, the only Region FX I use, is keeping track of where the focus is. I try to stay in Melodyne but end up leaving to look at something else and forgetting where I am.

I also checked to verify that the Melodyne Region FX Help button opens Cakewalk specific help. It does. See screenshot.

VqDSuWE.png

5 hours ago, Bill Phillips said:

Ok, I quickly opened Melodyne for a track, used the pitch tool to correct the pitch of a note, typed Ctrl-Z and the correction was canceled. My problems with Melodyne, the only Region FX I use, is keeping track of where the focus is. I try to stay in Melodyne but end up leaving to look at something else and forgetting where I am.

I also checked to verify that the Melodyne Region FX Help button opens Cakewalk specific help. It does. See screenshot.

Thanks again, Bill.

I've poured over the Cakewalk specific help section in Melodyne and see nothing related to keystrokes there. And on closer investigation, it seems that Melodyne only maintains the undo history while in focus, perhaps this is what you were meaning. I can, in fact, use Ctrl-z to undo actions in Melodyne while in a "single session" of it being in focus, but if I pop out of the window to check something on the track view, for example, then pop back into Melodyne and choose the do a Ctrl-z then to undo the last Melodyne action, this is when it would simply undo the instantiation of Melodyne and undo all the work I had done in it up to that point.  So this is just something to remember.

It seems that my problems, then, are really with Cakewalk when using Spectral Layers (my only other ARA application) in ARA mode. None of my keystrokes while in the SL ARA window are given to the functions there. Cakewalk intercepts all of them. So no using the keyboard shortcuts associated with SL, and, more annoyingly, no ability to enter precise numerical values in data entry fields. Strangely, when opening a text field within SL ARA (to change a layer name or whatever), I can type text successfully!

I am guessing that ARA is still in its growing/learning phase and not all applications play perfectly with each other yet. Although, I would be happy to be told otherwise!

Edited by winkpain

4 hours ago, winkpain said:

It seems that my problems, then, are really with Cakewalk when using Spectral Layers (my only other ARA application) in ARA mode.

I am guessing that ARA is still in its growing/learning phase and not all applications play perfectly with each other yet. Although, I would be happy to be told otherwise!

I suggest that you submit it to Cakewalk either using the Feedback Loop Forum or the problem reporting email address which I don't remember.

I'm guessing the problem is with Spectral Layers, but have no way of knowing. FwIW, Cakewalk was an early adopter of ARA and second to only S1 in implementing ARA access to Melodyne. Cakewalk has always worked closely with Microsoft and, TMK, still one of the very best integrated DAWs with Microsoft, probably second to S1 again. Before S1 Cakewalk was definitely the leader.

• Thanks 1