the depression

jack c.

with this song i did::::::::::

in sonar

i muted all tracks and 1 by 1 i un-mute and view levels all were clipping in master buss so i lowered volumes.

some tracks i added another comp to lower volume,others i lowered fader down to 12 db or lower.after all tracks were adjusted the master buss is no longer in red.also on some tracks i preformed the  cal velocity to give lots of velocity changes.

ears by distortion.

on this song the voice has raspy sound.

distortion is intentional.

no way.those all came from master buss in red.

There are some nice things in this song that catch my ear such as an interesting chord progression and melody, coupled with serious lyrics that would be depressing if not for the somewhat uplifting arrangement.  Yet, there are things that don't quite fit.  The vocal is hard to listen to because besides being distorted, it's very bright EQ-wise.  Then, there's something of a hole after the first round of vocals before it starts all over.  I do like the synth (or,sound) that you use in the beginning, although the beginning is very abrupt.  This can be a gem of a song with a little more time spent on the mix, so good effort, all in all.

Cool song ! I'm really getting a David Bowe/Talking heads vibe out of it. Clean it up and re EQ the vocals. You are still introducing distortion somehow ..  What kind of file are you uploading to Soundcloud ? If it is a mp3 they are still going to reprocess it. If it is a wav , make sure your volume and peaks aren't hitting 0 . If they are , they can cause clipping and distortion when They process and convert it to mp3.  Best to upload a 16 or 24 bit wav file with No volumes  louder than -1. db. Get the free Youlean loudness meter and check it from the start to the very end of the song before you upload it.   A good target is -14 lufs at the end  , with no clipping.    Good luck ..  mark

thank all of ya wonderful thoughts and insights!!!!!!!!!!!

Talking heads

one of me favorite bands.

uploading to Soundcloud ?

wave

vocal is  very bright EQ-wise.

i'll train me ears for this.this song had some odd effects on it.

on this song i followed a number of the forums suggestions.should i lower busses to 12 or lower?which i didn't do.

with this song i did::::::::::

in sonar

i muted all tracks and 1 by 1 i un-mute and view levels all were clipping in master buss so i lowered volumes.

some tracks i added another comp to lower volume,others i lowered fader down to 12 db or lower.after all tracks were adjusted the master buss is no longer in red.also on some tracks i preformed the  cal velocity to give lots of velocity changes.

Jack , If you go to your Sound Cloud page , Click the pencil "edit" button under your song , then "permissions" you can enable the feature for someone to be able to download the song in the original format after you save your change. You can change it back at any time. This would be real handy for anyone willing to help with a stereo mix or evaluate it better using daw tools .     mark

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/9/2021 at 3:10 PM, mark skinner said:

Jack , If you go to your Sound Cloud page , Click the pencil "edit" button under your song , then "permissions" you can enable the feature for someone to be able to download the song in the original format after you save your change. You can change it back at any time. This would be real handy for anyone willing to help with a stereo mix or evaluate it better using daw tools .     mark

the depression.i went to soundcloud and did as ya asked.jack c.

On 1/6/2021 at 4:17 PM, garybrun said:

Would be good to read the lyrics as some of them are hidden to my old ears by distortion.
I've gone through a lot of your tracks just now on soundcloud so it sounds like to me your distortion is intentional.  ??

distortion as i'm finding from the wonderful folks in this forum,i've been tracking the wrong way.me new song is "i'm reminded of"is done as prescribe.jack c.thanks for listen/comments.