How to set up keyboard as controller only

Coreysan

I haven't touched MIDI for years now so could you remind me of how to setup my keyboard just to trigger an instrument?

Right now I use the bank/patches for sound, but as I relearn using midi instruments, how do I tell the keyboard Im just using it as a controller? Do I select the general midi bank?

I could just unplug the audio out cables.

What's best practice?

It sounds like you are talking about taking a keyboard that produces sound and using only it's MIDI output to control virtual instruments (aka soft synths).  If your keyboard has a "Local Off" setting, that would be one option, but not 100% necessary. The keyboard's manual and midi implementation chart might help to find out if you have a "Local Off" setting.  Basically that tells the keyboard not to play the internal sounds.

As for using the keyboard to switch to specific sounds in different virtual instruments, that depends on the capabilities of the software synths.  Some will let you change presets [sounds generated by the soft synth] from Program Changes coming from your external gear.  Some won't.

If you mention the keyboard you have and the soft synths you are using, other users who have worked with those can probably give better advice than generic suggestions (unplug audio cables from the keyboard, assign the track to a general midi bank, etc.).

Edited by User 905133

If your keyboard came with a USB midi driver best to install it otherwise W10 will use an inferior generic driver. 
Then plug the keyboard in and open preference/ Midi/ Devices and check the box for your keyboard.  
If your using an audio interface and  standard 5 pin midi ports then the box you check will be for  your interface 

Theres a few way to do the next step. Here’s how I do it 

insert a midi track and select the correct input you keyboard is using.  I use Omni  arm the track for record and play a few notes to confirm you have a connection  the meters will move  

Now insert a soft synth instrument like SI bass or drums and set the output of the midi track to that instrument  now you can record you midi performance along with analog tracks or the metronome 

Thank you all so much. Please forgive me for not mentioning my equipment.

I have an Alesis QS6.1 with midi in/out ports. I use a focusRite pro 40 for the audio.

So maybe it is simple. I will install the midi cables and configure the whole midi preference dialog.

I asked because I don't want any local sounds coming through at all. I want to know that my daw is only playing the virtual instrument. I could simply unplug the audio out cables or delete the audio track.

Im starting to remember now, so I appreciate your jogging my memory!

My vst is the xln audio addictive keys. Beautiful sound for cheap!