Setting up template for SI-Drum Kit and TTS-1 for separate sends for percussion

Harley Dear

Hi all,

I had to make up a trial template for Cakewalk that I could use in finalising all our current MIDI backing files for our 3pce band, The tracks contain drums, and any keys, brass and synth as required. The Cakewalk file had to have direct outputs that could be mixable in our Soundcraft Ui24R mixer so that our sound man can mix live at our gigs.

It took a lot of trial and error to get something relatively simple to work and be reliable.

A major problem I faced was that a lot of the drum MIDIs had percussion mixed in and the Steven Slate Drums VST we will be using doesn't have the congas, cowbell, timbales etc. Neither does the SI-Drum kit ( some of which as drum-sets are pretty good actually ) have that.

So as an experiment, I decided that I'd try and set up the SI-Drum kit and TTS-1 and use the SI-Drum kit for normal drum duties and the TTS-1 for the percussion.

Yes I know these are not your top line kits, but we have actually learned how to tweak and get very good sounding drums and percussion from these ( thanks Mike from Creative Sauce )

I have attached my drum map and a 'how to' on the way to set this up in case anyone is interested.

It's VERY basic, but works well. Of course we have many other added features to our template which split out all the others instrument sends and of course the Steven Slate VST has separate send for kick, snare, hat and so on – that's for another discussion.

If you want to the CWP file of this simple template, PM me.

Cheers – Harley -

A percusion kit.map Drum Maps SI-Kit and TTS percussion for Ui24R sends.pdf

Edited by Harley Dear
  • Like 1

@Harley Dear as a quick note - you might investigate the Session Drummer 3. when reviewing some of my older projects, i'd forgotten i used it for a lot of percussion as well as drums, and when i checked the PRV, it was all nicely laid out as if using a drum map, but it wasn't.  there are 12 assignable stereo output. audio is based on WAV samples. tuning each instrument is an option as well as "width".  you'd have to check out the latency between MIDI and sound, but it seemed ok to me.

image.png.d65baf90d49cd952fe81517c1babe4d7.png

SS_OldZep.cwt

• 2 weeks later...