Flawless

Tez

Given the current zeitgeist, a measure of cynicism is not entirely unwarranted. But today having wound up my projects, I decided to upgrade the last Splat to CbB (no addons).

From the bandlab assistant through the settings migration the install was flawless, just a small footprint on the system drive, and managed to capture the setup exec too! Only the minor task of copying across custom content, and CbB seems much more than a full Splat with, on first impressions, better performance!

So with that, there are some good folks left, and a huge thank you to one and all for CbB, and thanks to Scook for responding to some irritating questions I’ve had along the way...

I finally installed CbB a couple days ago, and it all went well without a hitch.  I have X3 Producer on my machine, first.

The CbB color scheme is quite appealing compared to the default X3.   There are some immediate differences in appearance (windows on the right side is the way I'm going to refer to them), which are fine.

The only thing I need to actually research better (I'll do it tomorrow) is load both DAWs up with the same amount of open plugins, and see which version is lighter on CPU %.  I want to say that X3 was lighter on CPU, but I cannot since I did not compare apples to apples.  CbB opened with a different file and the CPU % seemed a few points higher, but like I said, I was not comparing apples to apples.  Will try to do so tomorrow.

I have a lot to learn in the CbB "upgrades" that I have heard touted at me for the past almost year, and even before that, people were claiming the Platinum had so many improvements over X3.  I ignored all those posts for the longest time for whatever reason.

Edited by Toddskins

'Looks like they are both equal on CPU usage.

In X3 I opened its original audio demo, then added 4 plugins (DS-Thorn, U-he Repro-5, XLN Addictive Drums 2, and Arturia Matrix-12).  Had the drums looping and played Repro-5.

Saved that as ______ and then opened that file with CbB, all with the same presets and looping the same drums, etc.

CPU % floated the same in both, from 4% to 7%, back and forth while playing my MIDI controller for Repro-5.

And both, when completely idle with the same project (no playing) drops back to 1%.

Hey Noel, 

1. After the settings migration from Splat to CbB the core "UseOnlyOfflineHelp" reg key is set to 1. This suits me just fine as I can use the SONAR.CHM offline in CbB.

2. The help menu options: "Getting Started Guide", "Support" & "User Forums" should open the corresponding web page in the browser.

If the browser is running the web pages happily launch in a new tab...

The issue is that if there no instance of the browser running it fails to launch the browser window, yet the process gets launched and the task manager shows that the "UAC virtualization" as "Not Allowed", and this blocks any attempt to launch the browser window at all, up until the task gets manually ended.

Typically, the task manager shows that the "UAC virtualization" as "Disabled", which I presume is normal!

Is the issue with 2. somehow related to 1.

6 minutes ago, Noel Borthwick said:

We aren't supporting offline help presently. It was likely an oversight that that option was migrated.

Thanks Noel, I was aware of no offline support... But after the install and the failure to launch the browser window as described, I closed CbB and when I couldn't start up the browser I was initially concerned that something had been corrupted.  Fortunately it could be worked around. So is the browser issue an independent glitch?