Orchestration Recipes

Matthew Sorrels

Special launch pricing of $30, reverts to full price of $59 on Jan 1, 2021.
Get your recipes at https://orchestrationrecipes.com/

I picked this up this morning and played around with the first "recipe", it's an interesting learning approach.  I wish you could download the entire recipe (the videos/a PDF of the notes) though you can download the MIDI files, the rest of the content is presented as online classes (using thinkific.com) but other than that I'm pretty impressed.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 5

This is excellently delivered the point for any GAS infected people to wake them up :) 

GAS is just collecting ingredients wasting lots of money and time if nothing else follows it...

Buying more and more guitars without practicing guitar skills will never make anybody even a little better guitar player aso...

I have lots of piano libraries but my piano skills are pretty terrible (but I can use more than 1 finger ;)  I need to watch the video every day in the morning...

So I went to the website to try and find out what the product actually is, and right at the top there's a button labeled "What is an Orchestration Recipe?". Wow, like he was reading my mind. But if you click there you get the same video Mathew posted above. 

Fortunately, there is more explanation to be had there. Each recipe is a video + text tutorial with MIDI files and notation for how to achieve some common orchestral technique. Great idea, actually. (Could have saved me thousands of hours (no, more like 69 years) of closely listening to orchestral music! Nobody got time for that, right? J/K!) The tutorials are as generic as possible, as he doesn't talk about specific libraries or DAWs. Which is good. You could in fact do these lessons using nothing more than Cakewalk and the TTS-1. (OK, the choirs would sound pretty lame, but you could do it.)

I watched the first video, and I gotta say it again: it's a great idea. Brilliant, in fact, and I'm surprised no one has thought of this before. I think if you're new to orchestration it would be a great way to fast-track the learning curve. Even if you're an old hand at this stuff, you'll likely still come away inspired to add some of these techniques to your arsenal. I know I did.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, husker said:

@Matthew Sorrels - do you know if this is time limited access?  It wasn't clear to me on the site.

I believe on VI they mentioned it was lifetime access.  Which of course means lifetime of the company and/or thinkific.com.  This is why I mentioned I'd like to be able to download everything.  I suspect a lot of these online course offering businesses will not last more than a few years.

The $30 sale price is limited time though, it ends on the 1st of January.

4 minutes ago, Matthew Sorrels said:

I believe on VI they mentioned it was lifetime access.  Which of course means lifetime of the company and/or thinkific.com. 

Cough....#SonarForLife....Cough....

Agree with the downloads - I wonder if he'll provide those in the future.

Thank you.

• Like 1

I wrote a little bookmarklet to help with printing the course notes. It adjusts and removes some of the elements on the page and makes the page more printer-friendly. I used Google Chrome's "save as PDF" option to try this out and the result looks ok for what it is.

Here's how to use it:

1. Copy the code below. Make sure that no line breaks creep in accidentally.
  2. Add a new bookmark in your browser. Set the title to something sensible and paste the code in the location field. I find it easiest to use the bookmark bar for these.
  3. Open the recipe page you want to print.
  4. Click the bookmark you just added. You should see that the video and the spoiler image on top disappeared and the whole page has become scrollable.
  5. Print the page as you normally would, though I like to use Google Chrome's "save as PDF".
  6. Repeat for each page you want to print/save. You need to use the bookmarklet each time the page reloads - the changes are only temporary.

And here's the code:

javascript:(function(){document.querySelectorAll("html,body,#content-inner,#player-wrapper,#player-wrapper .course-player").forEach(function(e){e.style.height="auto",e.style.overflow="visible",e.style.maxHeight="unset"}),document.getElementById("course-player-footer").style.display="none",document.querySelector("#content-inner iframe").style.display="none",document.querySelector("#main-content .surface__container").style.boxShadow="none",document.querySelector('h1 img.fr-fic[src$="SpoilerAlertSpacer.png"]').parentElement.style.display="none",document.querySelectorAll("hr,.course-player__right-drawer,.course-player__top-bar__menu-toggle").forEach(function(e){e.parentNode.removeChild(e)}),document.querySelectorAll(".fr-audio").forEach(function(e){let r=e.parentNode;r.removeChild(e),0===r.childElementCount&&r.parentElement.removeChild(r)}),document.querySelectorAll("#content-inner img").forEach(function(e){let r=document.createElement("div");r.style.breakInside="avoid",e.parentNode.insertBefore(r,e),r.appendChild(e)}),document.querySelectorAll(".course-player__download-files__list-item").forEach(function(e){e.style.breakInside="avoid"});})();

I have tested this in Firefox and Chrome and it works in both. If someone is interested in fine-tuning it or adding functionality, I can post the unminified code.

Now, about downloading the videos... I googled "download wistia videos" and found some instructions that worked for me, but they require some effort. I'm not going to post any of them here because they are easy enough to find and I want to steer clear of the possible moral/legal discussion that it might raise. But, FYI, it can be done.

Edit: I updated the code so that the grey download boxes don't get cut in half if a page break happens in their middle.

Edited by Pseudopop
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2