New Wide Monitor - Many Problems - SOLVED

Sailor55

I just bought a 32 x 10 Asus XG43VQ monitor to replace my dual monitor system (16x10 Dells) That's all. No driver change.  I just plugged in the new monitor into the DisplayPort.  Cakewalk is now completely unusable. Every other app seems to work.

The space bar no longer starts/stops the transport. At least, not reliably. When I do get the transport started it jumps forward erratically and won't run smooth.  After that I can't widen a track by dragging on it. (The track does widen but it clobbers the all tracks below it).  Sometimes I'm left with a big empty gap between two groups of tracks. I've fiddled with monitor refresh rates from 60 to 120 Hz.  I've tried every mode the monitor offers but its always the same.

Cakewalk was working flawlessly for me until I got this  monitor. Win 10 reports I have the latest driver installed for this monitor. Cost plenty too. It's a total Cakewalk showstopper. Do I need to return it?

Edited by Sailor55
Problem Solved

Hi Colin,

The resolution is 3840x1200.  I just tried these: 1920x1080; 1920x1200; 2048x1152.  All of them seemed to work. Then I switched back to 3840x1200 and it started to work too! That doesn't give me too much confidence though, because 3840x1200 has worked before a few times (for a while). So, it's kind of an intermittent thing and I don't know exactly how to reproduce it. I'll investigate further and see what I can find out. - Dan

one possible issue - it's now a single screen with 4.6M  pixels (500M/sec) versus two screens with 2.3M pixels (276M/sec), and your display hardware might be challenged to deliver that performance on a single screen. also the 32:10 ratio might be a challenge for some software if you run it full screen. i know the Izotope products newer versions struggle with "normal" settings... 

Thanks Glenn. I think you are on to something. Your explanation would account for the intermittency of the problem too.  My PC is an HP 800G (i7) using an onboard Intel chip based video driver.  I was having the problem in full screen mode but I think I still had it even with a smaller widow. I'll grab some screen shots the next time it happens, if I can.  That probably won't shed any more light on the cause, but it might be interesting.

Capture.JPG.1f2c8e029bd46c1ec157682f66764a74.JPG

No luck. Windows won't allow me to install that driver. I ran Intel's Driver support assistant and got the message below. Guess I'll try to see if HP has a new driver, although Windows assures me the very latest video driver is already installed in my PC.

Capture.JPG.cb82880aee3af8e919a66cecdf4ce28d.JPG

Just checked with HP.  Sure enough, Windows wasn't lying to me. The latest driver HP has available is the one that's currently installed.  Guess I'm out of luck. Nice monitor too. So far the only thing that won't run properly on it is Cakewalk. But I'll probably discover other stuff, in time.

2 hours ago, Sailor55 said:

No luck. Windows won't allow me to install that driver.

I'd bet it can be forced, but doing it may require more black magic than any sane person can muster.  Never believe HP's support and driver installer.  They will take months to make no real changes to "bless" a driver release from Intel.

You might try changing the High DPI settings on the compatibility tab (bring up properties on Cakewalk).  You shouldn't have to, but it might help.  It's also possible that Windows has added a set of compatibility flags to Cakewalk, which it thought you needed but instead is just messing with it.  Nirsoft has an app (that's a bit easier than just editing the registry yourself)

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/app_compatibility_view.html

You'd be surprised sometimes how Windows will add a bunch of flags/settings for an app that shouldn't have any.  Usually the best answer is to just delete the entry.  If it's really needed Windows will re-add it.

What your describing though sounds much more like a video card driver issue, I doubt any settings will fix it really.

First, let me thank everyone who responded for the great help and suggestions.

All I really wanted to do was get rid of the bezel gap between my two Dell monitors (although, having a curved 32 x 10 display is pretty nice too).  My PC has a Small Form Factor and so if I wanted a video card to replace the onboard video I'd be hunting for a half-height card which might limit my options.

My thought is now this: my PC has only two DisplayPort outputs which formerly ran two 16x10 monitors quite nicely. My new Asus XG43VQ monitor has only one DisplayPort input, but it has two HDMI port inputs.  This allows the monitor to support a 16x10 display on either side. In other words, I'd be back to the way it was before except there would be no bezel gap. It'll cost me two DisplayPort to HDMI converter cables to find out if this would work. I'll probably give it a try. I hope I don't burn $100 to find out that won't work either.

7 hours ago, Sailor55 said:

First, let me thank everyone who responded for the great help and suggestions.

All I really wanted to do was get rid of the bezel gap between my two Dell monitors (although, having a curved 32 x 10 display is pretty nice too).  My PC has a Small Form Factor and so if I wanted a video card to replace the onboard video I'd be hunting for a half-height card which might limit my options.

My thought is now this: my PC has only two DisplayPort outputs which formerly ran two 16x10 monitors quite nicely. My new Asus XG43VQ monitor has only one DisplayPort input, but it has two HDMI port inputs.  This allows the monitor to support a 16x10 display on either side. In other words, I'd be back to the way it was before except there would be no bezel gap. It'll cost me two DisplayPort to HDMI converter cables to find out if this would work. I'll probably give it a try. I hope I don't burn $100 to find out that won't work either.

I'd like to know how this works out. I've been looking for a curved 3840x1200 as close to 40" as I can get. I have 36" between my monitors and a 40" curved monitor should fit. I have a AMD RX 580 video card which may solve the flakiness problem for me but I'd still like to know how you solve the problem. 

If your computer can take a half-height card, you might be in luck. I bought an LG 34" monitor about a year ago and had to add a video card because it is HDMI only and my computer doesn't have an HDMI port. The card I bought -- about a $50 NVidea card from Amazon -- is half-height and supports my monitor's resolution, which is "only" 2560 x 1080. Sorry, I don't recall the model. No  issues with Cakewalk or anything else I've tried it with. The card has DVI and VGA ports, so you're also covered far as that goes.

I may have a resolution. When I installed my monitor there were already two displayport cables being used for my two Dells.  Rather than unpack the new cable that came with the Asus monitor, I just used one of the ones I already had.  And that almost worked. That is, every application except Cakewalk worked fine (and Cakewalk only had problems intermittently). This morning I replaced the old cable with the new one from the box. Since then, I haven't any issues with Cakewalk or anything else. The old cable was about 8 ft and about 3/8" thick. The new cable is 6 ft and 1/4" thick. Or maybe it was just a slightly flaky connection. I know that doesn't seem likely but..., Or maybe it's all just black magic. Anyway, I'm really hoping this is a fix. Note to self: If you get new cables, then use them.

BTW, I highly recommended the Asus XG43VQ for anyone who prefers a 16x10 over a 16x9 aspect ratio and wants to replace a dual monitor system. It's designed for gamers, but since I'm not a gamer, I just ignore those extra features. It can be had for about $750 AM (or $999 CD, which is what I paid).

Thanks again everyone. I'll bump this post if I have any further problems. - Dan

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Sailor55 said:

Thanks again everyone. I'll bump this post if I have any further problems. - Dan

You could edit your first post and add "Solved" to the thread title.  That clues new readers of thread to look at bottom posts.

And I've solved a few other hardware issues by using the cable included rather my previous one.

3 hours ago, Sailor55 said:

Note to self: If you get new cables, then use them.

BTW, I highly recommended the Asus XG43VQ for anyone who prefers a 16x10 over a 16x9 aspect ratio and wants to replace a dual monitor system. It's designed for gamers, but since I'm not a gamer, I just ignore those extra features. It can be had for about $750 AM (or $999 CD, which is what I paid).

Faulty cables are a common problem. Hardware tech support will often ask you to try different cables first. Thanks for the monitor recommendation.