Musicians and mental health

Tezza

On 11/23/2020 at 11:41 PM, Tezza said:

I'm interested in whether music makes mental health issues better or worse, what do others think? Some have told me that if it wasn't for music, they would have struggled to exist in society. They either can't plug into the 9 - 5 norm at all or wouldn't be able to do it without music. I've also known some people to become quite depressed about their music if they don't "make it" or if it doesn't sound the way they want it to, yet they can't let it go and they spiral downwards.

Some people have told me that I might have ADHD but I think the problem is, they just don't underst... oh look! There's a Squirrel!

Is your post serious or you are just kidding? It really depends how you look at it and what do you mean by mental health. Music has been proven to do wonders for brain degenerative brain disease. There are lots of proven studies on it. This also probably translates to young people and how listening to music affects their everyday life and personality.

Re:  making music and the creative mind and the ego that comes with it. In my experience creative work usually entices ego of some sort. Its a battered ego as it is someone who is always on the receiving end of criticism of the output of your inner creativity. Be it a vocalist, violinist or music mixer engineer. You develop a sense of humour about it as a coping mechanism usually and you learn to deflect it and not take it to seriously.

As far as certain personalities and ADHD. Music in the modern age is a activity where you are constantly getting bombarded with distractions. You don't sit around on a  porch and strum away to old Buck White tunes that you heard on a radio. You are getting bombarded with lots of media and news media and YT videos and what not. Thats the new environment in which you make music. It's perfectly acceptable and natural to have ADHD. Just go with the flow and learn to filter out things that are not important.

• Like 1

I think mental health issues are sometimes misdiagnosed and are actually evil influences, i.e. the story of David playing for Saul. 

In either case music has a very calming feeling if the music is the right music. As Craig alluded to, some music has the opposite effect, i.e. summoning chants in death metal. I think most people can tell the difference between uplifting music and negative music.

I one thought all musicians came at music in much the same way. Boy was I wrong. I don't think there's a one size fits all answer to the makeup, motives and music of different musicians and their moods as a result.

• Like 1

Seriously...

I don't know about others, but when I'm playing music, especially when gigging and improvising a solo, I get into that place where there is no space, no time, no me, no they, no words --- just the music which seems like it is flowing through me instead of from me. It's a feeling quite a bit like meditation, which 'they' say is good for the mind. (Whoever 'they' are.) So for people like me it just might be good for mental heath.

I know I like my life, and if I had to do it over again, I'd choose the same career. I'm happy, I haven't missed a gig due to illness or anything else since I was in high school, and most of the time of day I'm just happy.

That sounds healthy to me.

I wake up in the morning, go to bed at night, and in between do what I want to do, not what someone else tells me to do. That's freedom, and that seems mentally healthy too.

Insights and incites by Notes

• Like 1

On 11/25/2020 at 12:28 AM, michaelhanson said:

Doing drugs may be the issue.  

Yes, I've noticed there is a denial applied by drug users to any ill effects coming from their drug use, mental or physical. When looking at mental health issues, there is a little known and unused series of things to work through before you actually get to "mental illness" being the cause. But in our modern pharmaceutical/therapy driven society we jump straight to "mental illness" with either a daily pill or long term counseling being seen as the solution. Both of these things of course keep Psychiatrists, Psychologists, GP's and Pharmaceutical companies well paid.

Sleep----------------------------------------Poor sleep can cause problems, especially later in life where inactivity and obesity can cause sleep apnoea
Exercise------------------------------------Good daily exercise really does fix up a lot of mental health problems esp aerobic like running
Diet-----------------------------------------Poor nutrition can lead to problems as well as allergies or intolerance to chemicals in food
Legal chemicals---------------------------Caffeine, Nicotine, artificial sweetners etc different people have different tolerances or none at all
Prescription drugs-----------------------Prescription drugs for anything can have unintended side effects
Illegal Chemicals-------------------------Illegal drugs are probably the worst when it comes to mental health effects
Environmental Factors-----------------Pollen, pollution, electromagnetic interference, work environment etc can effect sleep and mental health
Relationships with others--------------Becoming socially isolated away from friends and/or family, also losing practical help and support
Mental Injury-----------------------------Mental injury is more common than mental illness but we don't recognize it in many cases

There is probably a bunch more that I've forgotten and we haven't even gotten to "Diagnosed Mental Illness" yet. Most conditions are mental injuries from the above and other factors, they are just not recognized. I've seen people who have been diagnosed with all sorts of things and it has gone on for years, even decades and it turned out to be one of the above factors instead.

On 11/25/2020 at 1:06 AM, craigb said:

I've seen some research that tries to indicate that when A was set to 432 Hz that all the tones resonated positively with the body (it just "feels" better).  440 Hz is said to not match well with the body's native frequencies and therefore causes some unease and encourages anti-social behavior.  Some even go so far as to imply that the new standard can be used to program people.

The 432Khz conspiracy, man, you could burn yourself out just reading about it on the internet. In this example, I do think the 432Khz guitar sounds best but then  it could be that it's just detuned. When I played out with just vocals and guitar I played an acoustic tuned down to Eb because it was easier to play, I didn't need the capo for some songs and it just sounded better to me, smoother, easier and fuller.

On 11/28/2020 at 12:30 AM, telecode 101 said:

Is your post serious or you are just kidding?

Just go with the flow and learn to filter out things that are not important.

Both really, nice comment.

On 11/25/2020 at 6:15 AM, Esteban Villanova said:

Being a musician is about dealing with chaos. You need order to balance it out.

Amen!

On 11/25/2020 at 8:28 AM, Notes_Norton said:

I've been a pro musician since I graduated school (actually even before that). I'm happily insane. I know I'm weird. I'm not normal. But I believe that I'm OK and the rest of the world is off. 

The rest of the world may well be off.

On 11/26/2020 at 12:22 AM, Gswitz said:

I think when you consider music as a profession and ask the mental health question, there are too many variables to show anything meaningful. Like, who is drawn to it as a profession. How often is it a profession of last resort? What are the weird pressures applied on musicians by how the money in the industry is choked to flow this way and that. How much impact does living around alcohol soaked people have on your life? Spending nights in bars? Getting paid in liquor?

But then, most musicians I know have a better social life than non-musicians in my experience. That can be another mental health booster.

Agree.

On 11/28/2020 at 3:31 AM, Starise said:

I once thought all musicians came at music in much the same way. Boy was I wrong. I don't think there's a one size fits all answer to the makeup, motives and music of different musicians and their moods as a result.

I thought the same way also until I also found I was wrong.

2 hours ago, Notes_Norton said:

Drugs? I did some drugs when I was a hippie. They didn't affect me affect me affect me affect me affect me affect me affect me affect me affect affect affect affect affect . What was I saying?

Something about becan I think?