Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
e-cue

14TB WD Easystore External USB 3.0 Hard Drive $190

Recommended Posts

7 minutes ago, jude77 said:

14TB.  I remember when 144MB was considered big. 

I can remember getting excited when 1.44 MB floppy's replaced the big
and really floppy 5.25" discs...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, cclarry said:

I can remember getting excited when 1.44 MB floppy's replaced the big
and really floppy 5.25" discs...

Now Lar don't take this the wrong way:   You are official an old fart.   😆

Of course I remember having a few courses in college where I had to use the punch cards to input my program.  Was not a fun time especially as the project for mid-terms and finals came due and we were all scrambling for computer time and praying we got it to compile.   Wait this makes me an old-fart too 🤪

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, InstrEd said:

Now Lar don't take this the wrong way:   You are official an old fart.   😆

Of course I remember having a few courses in college where I had to use the punch cards to input my program.  Was not a fun time especially as the project for mid-terms and finals came due and we were all scrambling for computer time and praying we got it to compile.   Wait this makes me an old-fart too 🤪

Yes...in High School....Machine Language...Oregon Trail....LOL

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, cclarry said:

Yes...in High School....Machine Language...Oregon Trail....LOL

And kids now get upset when they can't get an answer right away.  My kids included! 

I will have to say I wish programs like  this  were  around when I was taking Calculus.  As I'm more visual in math and this would of been great and to keep it on the HD subject, just think of all the math problems that 14TB drive would store. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, InstrEd said:

And kids now get upset when they can't get an answer right away.  My kids included! 

I will have to say I wish programs like  this  were  around when I was taking Calculus.  As I'm more visual in math and this would of been great and to keep it on the HD subject, just think of all the math problems that 14TB drive would store. 

Cobol and Fortran...yeeeehaw!   Their heads would explode...
And you couldn't have a calculator in class...no way...LOL

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jude77 said:

I remember when 144MB was considered big. 

I was told that I would never fill up my 1.6gb hard drive in my first computer.

I'm sure they meant it. 

I did fill it!

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are quite a few articles about shucking these drives. I was reading an article the other day and *think* it said they are a generic WD Blue (white label) inside, roughly 1/3 the price of an NAS drive.

Note: I cannot find that specific article offhand, BUT there is an image of a pin that needs to be covered with tape (or similar) to disable the feature that disables power to the disk. Some older power supplies will not recognize this and the drive will not power up. Just beware of that if wanting to shuck one of these.

This link keeps coming up trying to find what I read, but it does not show the pin in question above. This link has more detail of the process, but still doesn't show that pin.

Quick Edit: It is at the 2 minute mark in this video.

 

Edited by mettelus

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...