Patch Browser question

craigr68

The Patch Browser doesn't seem to be showing me the patch names as I would have expected.  If I got this right, some VSTs offer their patch list while others don't.  I've tried with a couple VSTs that I thought that do.  In this case, I happen to be using Dexed.  Release notes say this:

If < default for instrument > is selected, then the patches are retrieved from the VSTi as normal, otherwise the patch list is taken from the selected instrument definition.

So why am I seeing this instead of the patch names which are like CLAV1, CLAV2, etc?

image.png.333539ff24de31f54242915bd90c87ba.png

23 minutes ago, craigr68 said:

The Patch Browser doesn't seem to be showing me the patch names as I would have expected.  If I got this right, some VSTs offer their patch list while others don't.  I've tried with a couple VSTs that I thought that do.  In this case, I happen to be using Dexed.  Release notes say this:

If < default for instrument > is selected, then the patches are retrieved from the VSTi as normal, otherwise the patch list is taken from the selected instrument definition.

So why am I seeing this instead of the patch names which are like CLAV1, CLAV2, etc?

image.png.333539ff24de31f54242915bd90c87ba.png

@craigr68 - are you saying it used to show the patch names (CLAV1, CLAV2 etc) in 2020.09 ?

36 minutes ago, msmcleod said:

@craigr68 - are you saying it used to show the patch names (CLAV1, CLAV2 etc) in 2020.09 ?

No.  I thought Patch Browser was new in 2020.11.  I have a new VST called Unify and it seems to be getting the patch names from Dexed like the following.

image.png.53717e8d7820a92d46bd577945827e2d.png

But then I noticed TTS is showing the patches in Patch Browser.  Although I'm not sure what's with the multiple Piano 1.  Is it supposed to show multiple banks?  I would have expected one current bank.  (I sorted on patch column to get that output)

image.png.f6d7eb69afa0ff3a7389bf51423535e5.png

Maybe I'm mistaken about whether Dexed exposes its patch list.  I was figuring if Unify could see the patch names, then Dexed does expose them - but maybe that's happening some other way.  Overall, it seems very few VSTs do expose their patch list, at least the VSTs I have anyway.  I'm going to go thru a few more and see which do.