Connect Volca Sample to Cakewalk via MIDI

spacekid.90

Question

Hello 

I have Volca Sample connected via USB MIDI Interface (midilink mini - MIDI to USB cable) to Cakewalk. 

However, I am only able to trigger one step/note from my Volca.  

I read somewhere that  "The Volca Sample uses channels of MIDI: one for each of the ten parts." 

Does anybody know how I can trigger all of the steps/notes from the Sample?

Thank you very much in advance!

Cheers,

spacekid.90

4 answers to this question

MIDI channel is a property of MIDI notes. MIDI channel may be set for each MIDI note just like pitch and velocity.

Cakewalk can force the MIDI channel per-track by setting the MIDI channel drop down in the track.

If the channel is not set on the track the notes are sent with whatever channel value is in the notes.

• Thanks 1

You are most of the way there with the drum map.

Use the virtual controller as the input and the drum map as the output on a MIDI track. Enable input echo on the track.

It may be necessary to modify the drum map to use the note range of the virtual controller. IOW in addition to the channels in the drum map, there may need to be some changes to the note in/out columns so that the virtual controller operates in the range needed by the synth.

• Thanks 1

On 10/3/2020 at 11:25 PM, scook said:

MIDI channel is a property of MIDI notes. MIDI channel may be set for each MIDI note just like pitch and velocity.

Cakewalk can force the MIDI channel per-track by setting the MIDI channel drop down in the track.

If the channel is not set on the track the notes are sent with whatever channel value is in the notes.

Thank you, Scook, as always with your helpful input. 

I think I somehow managed to do different MIDI channels on different tracks.

Now the issue is, I have to click on specific track first to get the sound from specific MIDI channel.

Is it possible to set it up in a way where I can get different sounds/steps from Volca (output) when I press different keys on my computer keyboard (input)?

I even created a drum map but it only works with step sequencer and piano roll.

Cheers,

spacekid.90

Input HY - Output Channel per track.png

MIDI Instruments.png

Insert Instrument.png

Drum Map.png

On 10/6/2020 at 11:54 PM, scook said:

You are most of the way there with the drum map.

Use the virtual controller as the input and the drum map as the output on a MIDI track. Enable input echo on the track.

It may be necessary to modify the drum map to use the note range of the virtual controller. IOW in addition to the channels in the drum map, there may need to be some changes to the note in/out columns so that the virtual controller operates in the range needed by the synth.

Thanks again! I finally managed to do it by downloading unofficial firmware by Pajen for Volca Sample.