Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Kevin Walsh

I'm Gonna Get What's Coming To Me

Recommended Posts

I had a lot of fun doing this one. This is one of those songs that pop into your head in a nearly complete form. Thanks, Muse! More like that please!

As always, your feedback on mix, song or whatever you want to comment about is very much appreciated!

Update: A new mix is now available. There was some reverb plugin doing something really weird to the panning and just destroying any vocal clarity. Let me know if I'm getting there.

Updated update: After a few more comments on the vocals I decided to take off the headphones and do a mix with the speakers. I think it's much improved, so if you guys want to waste a bit more time on this, please let me know how it sounds.

Thanks for all your feedback, much appreciated!

 

 

 

Edited by Kevin Walsh
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think turn up the vocals

this is great

really good

WOW mahn

if you were to get what's coming to you, this would be a viral thang

wish I would have wrote this

I know people are going to say "sounds like Tom Petty."

but it's you Kevin top notch

  • Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Apart from a very low vocal ( shame that ), I really like this and your stuff Kevin, your vocal work is haunting and original  .. think I'm becoming a fan mate ...

S

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Jesse Screed said:

I think turn up the vocals

this is great

really good

WOW mahn

if you were to get what's coming to you, this would be a viral thang

wish I would have wrote this

I know people are going to say "sounds like Tom Petty."

but it's you Kevin top notch

Thanks, Jesse, I'm glad you took the time to give it a listen. Thanks for the kind words! I've done a new mix, hopefully the vocals are where they need to be. Thank you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, daryl1968 said:

this is very cool Kevin - great vocal performance. 

 

Thank you, Daryl, that's great praise given the work you do. I'm grateful for your time and your ears.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sabby Brown said:

Apart from a very low vocal ( shame that ), I really like this and your stuff Kevin, your vocal work is haunting and original  .. think I'm becoming a fan mate ...

S

Sabby, thanks for your feedback. Give the new mix a listen and let me know if I'm in the sweet spot yet. Your not a fan until you have the T-Shirt. :)

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Kevin Walsh said:

Sabby, thanks for your feedback. Give the new mix a listen and let me know if I'm in the sweet spot yet. Your not a fan until you have the T-Shirt. :)

Saucy bugger ... 👕! I still listen to  'Hold me down'  Ace track... Yes this mix is much better, Somehow that guitar sound and playing makes me think of the way the great John Lennon played .. so all good back here in Blighty  

Keep'em coming,

S

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great song  I liked the live feel I´must concure with the rest on the vocals maybe a tick too much reverb , although that adds to the live feel of the song , nice one

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Listening to this song made me very happy.  I like the mix the way it is, and think this is a gem!  Fun, fun, fun...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lynn Wilson said:

Listening to this song made me very happy.  I like the mix the way it is, and think this is a gem!  Fun, fun, fun...

Lynn, thanks for your feedback, it's always welcome! I remixed it again with speakers instead of using headphones, give it a listen and see if it's any better.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lappy speakers, so make of this what you will, but the vox seem a little buried in places, first couple of lines in particular and at other times it feels like it was mixed by the guitarist if you know what I mean. Good song though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 Great job , I Loved the song and the raw energy of it. I agree the vocals could come up in a few spots. The main and vocal harmonys were spot on performance wise , and the guitars sounded Great. I did think it a little unusual that the harmonys are panned wider than the guitars that seem to be hugging the middle of the mix. Some spots it worked  , others it seemed to narrow the mix when the vocals drop out. Overall I think it's real close to being a classic.     Enjoyed it  ...   mark

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Real late 60's, early 70's vibe (guitar wise CCR comes to mind immediately) here for me; so big 👍's there!
Without a doubt I think we all are "all in".
You've mixed and updated and updated again, and often times its "lather, rinse, repeat" till we get it right.
I don't think I'm alone in wanting a bit more vocal, but its your tune, your production.
Excellent songwriting and performances!

t

let it sit and simmer for awhile, then come back and see if a few tweaks to the mix feel "right" to you.
It can certainly stand on its own two feet just as it is...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, paulo said:

Lappy speakers, so make of this what you will, but the vox seem a little buried in places, first couple of lines in particular and at other times it feels like it was mixed by the guitarist if you know what I mean. Good song though.

Given that every other poster here says the same thing, I'm guessing you're probably right about that. :) I did the guitars  so I guess you're right, the guitarist mixed it, hah! Really though, because I did the vocals I know what they say so I suspect that they're clearer to me because I know them so well.  So that's yet another argument for getting someone else to mix/master.  

I sure appreciate you listening and commenting on the mix, Paulo, thank you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, mark skinner said:

 Great job , I Loved the song and the raw energy of it. I agree the vocals could come up in a few spots. The main and vocal harmonys were spot on performance wise , and the guitars sounded Great. I did think it a little unusual that the harmonys are panned wider than the guitars that seem to be hugging the middle of the mix. Some spots it worked  , others it seemed to narrow the mix when the vocals drop out. Overall I think it's real close to being a classic.     Enjoyed it  ...   mark

Mark, I'm going to give that section with the panning issues another listen and hear what you're talking about. That's a good catch, thank you for lending your ear and for taking the time to give your thoughts, I really appreciate it!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, DeeringAmps said:

Real late 60's, early 70's vibe (guitar wise CCR comes to mind immediately) here for me; so big 👍's there!
Without a doubt I think we all are "all in".
You've mixed and updated and updated again, and often times its "lather, rinse, repeat" till we get it right.
I don't think I'm alone in wanting a bit more vocal, but its your tune, your production.
Excellent songwriting and performances!

t

let it sit and simmer for awhile, then come back and see if a few tweaks to the mix feel "right" to you.
It can certainly stand on its own two feet just as it is...

T, thanks for jumping in, and thanks for the kind words, your feedback has always been spot-on and I appreciate it. And as always, you give could advice here. I've had such trouble getting this song mixed that I honestly toyed with the thought of hiring someone to do it even though none of my songs will ever be performed or see any more light of day than they get here. A pause will do me some good. I'll take a leaf from Jesse Screed's tree and move on to the next one!

  • Great Idea 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Late to the party, seem to be a theme with me recently, I quite like the upbeat groove to this. Mix sounds OK here on the Adams.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Wookiee said:

Late to the party, seem to be a theme with me recently, I quite like the upbeat groove to this. Mix sounds OK here on the Adams.

Thank you for the listen! What is the model of your Adams? I've been looking for something to replace my 14  year old KRK Rokit 5's. (Yow.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...