Interview with a guy from Bandlab about Cakewalk including a new feature!

Martin Hooper

Does anyone understand this better than me, or have more info?

I don't get how a single articulation over an entire midi clip qualifies as - well - articulation?

Usually you have perhaps a string scrape or tonal change on just one note, making it sound live.

Roland SuperNaturals have guitars with slides if you play half or one tone legato.

Or CC control to move violins from normal to vibrato.

But this is supposed to be introduced incidentally, by feel. Not just a whole clip.

Edited by twelvetone

The articulation doesn't apply to a whole clip. If you watch further you can see a part where he's got an articulation that's one note long in the middle of a phrase played in a different manner.

I can see some utility in that it gives you human readable indication of the play style, rather than you having to remember "why is there an F# two octaves below the lowest note in my G chord", and "which particular articulation is that, anyway"?

Also of potential interest to those who aren't using string/horn/orchestral libraries with many types of articulation: the 'articulations' don't have to output midi notes, but can do various 'soft' transforms to the existing notes (octave up, arpeggiator, etc.).

Not in my top 10 list of features, but all improvements to software that isn't costing us a penny (other than Larry's deals!) are to be applauded.

• Like 1

Well, it's not an earth shattering improvement having articulation mapping . . . because it seems you still have to program it . . . it just makes it more user friendly to program it, which is what a lot of the more recent Cakewalk improvements are all about. Maybe I'll like it more after it saves me some programming time ? 

Edited by noynekker
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, noynekker said:

because it seems you still have to program it .

But the templates can be shared after they are created.  So you can benefit from the work of others and share yours.  It doesn't take long for templates to be created for most of the often owned libraries.

Edited by Steve Harder
correction

1 hour ago, Steve Harder said:

But the templates can be shared after they are created.  So you can benefit from the work of others and share yours.  It doesn't take long for templates to be created for most of the often owned libraries.

HA ! Let's just hope it's a kinder gentler sharing Cakewalk world regarding this . . . I'm holding my breath for the Kontakt Spitfire Libraries Articulation changes to be shared right here.

I've been a continuous Cakewalk user since Sonar 8, when one regularly had to pay for updates. I was skeptical about Bandlab being able to provide a quality up-to-date program for free, but there is no doubt that Bandlab has improved the stability of Cakewalk and, as the video indicates, continues to innovate.

Articulation Maps are going to be very helpful for work flow.

• Like 1