Fix the CbB installer .... please.

Waldemar Pawlik

Over the past couple of years of CbB I have read with mild concern for those people who report they have trouble updating their CbB to the latest version.

I have been using Cakewalk since the DOS days, and have never had any problems with the computer or the software, and so could never understand how

these people were experiencing major problems. Generally, since the Bandlab era I have had some minor update problems, usually resolved by updating the installer app, 

or after a couple of download attempts. However, this update is different.

After numerous attempts at downloading, I have nothing.

The installer seems to download, but then goes into a perpetual install.  The last attempt, went on for hours and had to be shutdown, after which it wouldn't

work until a reboot.

Since the introduction of the CbB installer and it's unpredictable nature I have often wondered why the bakers couldn't design a predictable installer, like the previous one

we had in SONAR. It worked every time and was much more useful.

Anyone else concerned?

Still no update.

19 minutes ago, Waldemar Pawlik said:

The installer seems to download....  

If this is the case, the installer should be available to run manually from %appdata%\bandlab-assistant\Downloads

Once this update is completed, new updates are performed directly from CbB.

From https://discuss.cakewalk.com/index.php?/topic/19403-current-release-202009/&tab=comments#comment-164035

• In-app updater
    • You can now download and install future updates directly from Cakewalk instead of using BandLab Assistant.
    • Select Help > Check for Updates to check if an update is available. An Update Available toast notification appears if an update is available.
    • Click Download Now to download the update in the background. You may continue using the application while downloading. Download progress will be displayed via a toast message.
    • Updates are downloaded to a Cakewalk subfolder in your local Downloads folder.
    • When the download is complete, click Install Now to install the update. You will be prompted to save your work and exit the app to allow the installer to run.

Thanks scook. Got it now, but still begs the question of why all the download problems.

We are indebted to folk like you who have a knowledge of computer programing, and can finesse what could be the problem. But, for those like me, though I've been with computers since they became consumables, I still don't know what happens "under the bonnet".

Cheers

Which Windows release are you running, I think all these releases of Windows 10 in particular seems to create various problems, not with installer in particular just various problems?

I installed CbB in february, updated 2020.05 and just now 2020.09 on windows 7 pro(not supported officially anymore) and had nothing funny.
Today the Bandlab Assistant updated itself first.

AFAIK, BA was originally designed as a front end to BandLab the web-based DAW created by BandLab Technologies.

It is maintained by a group in Singapore NOT the CbB developers.

It was extended to handle delivery and activation of CbB replacing the functions provided by Cakewalk Command Center.

The 2020.09 in-app updater is the first phase of eliminating dependence on BA.

Using the in-app updater does not refresh activation so until CbB can perform its own activation, BA will need to perform this task every 6 months.

• Like 1