Learn A Lot From Me

Barry Seymour

Another one where I had entirely too much fun. Some of my best guitar work. 😉

Features my friend Mike Matthews on harp, bg vocals and commentary.

Gear:

• Electro-Voice ND 457 microphone (80s Vintage!)
  • Behringer Xenyx USB mixer
  • Fender Strats on rhythm, Tele on slide lead
  • Peavey bass
  • VSTs include Toletnikov for mastering, TH3 for guitar effects

Constructive criticism welcome. Let me know what you think, thanks!

Edited by Barry Seymour

Hang on a second, let me get this foot to stop tapping.  Okay.  Man, first thing I noticed was the beautiful nasty tone on that Peavey -- harp was very good (I thought of J. Geils Band) --really like the bridge chord changes -- that was a surprise -- vox was spot on as were the on-point lyrics -- in fact, the only thing I didn't like was that there was not enough of your tasty slide -- good stuff~~Allan.

Edited by ABull
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, ABull said:

Hang on a second, let me get this foot to stop tapping.  Okay.  Man, first thing I noticed was the beautiful nasty tone on that Peavey -- harp was very good (I thought of J. Geils Band) --really like the bridge chord changes -- that was a surprise -- vox was spot on as were the on-point lyrics -- in fact, the only thing I didn't like was that there was not enough of your tasty slide -- good stuff~~Allan.

"Tasty slide?" Are you DRUNK? ha ha. 

My friend Mike gave me the harp track via emailed MP3. (It's remote, it's COVID.) While it was nice, I felt it didn't have enough bite. So I added TH3 guitar effects to the track and it came to life.

For my solo, I started off saying "I want to play bottleneck slide!" But I couldn't find my slide. So I tried using a can of Finger-Ease. Couldn't manage it until I laid the guitar on my lap, Jeff Healey style. One take, and I said to myself "this is really bad. So bad that it's GREAT" and kept it.  I laugh uncontrollably every time I hear it. I added the SFX (The glass breaking, the bar sounds, Mike's commentary and especially the BURPs) after and it just got funnier and funnier.

I had fun!

Thanks for the kind (albeit misguided) words. :-D

• Like 1

OMG...the only thing wrong with this song is I didn't write it...lol  Had me laughing at Jagermeister...lol 

I did one about MD2020 but it was way to serious and my black friends told me not to be singing about that stuff in this part of town...lol

I have always wished I knew how to write like you do. I am a engineer, pilot, ship captain, all kinda serious sort of things to do.

I want to be funny, but as close as I get is the way I look...lol

Really good stuff. I have to keep my eye on you.

Cheers,

Billy

• Like 1

I liked the giddy-up vibe of the groove - very cool. As always, I enjoyed your vocal - on this track it had some grit to it.

I really liked the bass line as well - that was well played and sounds quite good in the mix.

I liked the burps - nice touch there - funny.

Overall the mix sounds good to me - well done.

• Like 1

Definitely a guy song. Listening with headphones the mix sounds very good although I thought the bass could come up a little.
To be incredibly nit picky, the word "baby" in the chorus threw me off. Didn't seem like you'd sing this to a woman.
Excellent musicianship. Love the harp. Love the burp.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, William E Simmons said:

OMG...the only thing wrong with this song is I didn't write it...lol  Had me laughing at Jagermeister...lol 

I did one about MD2020 but it was way to serious and my black friends told me not to be singing about that stuff in this part of town...lol

I have always wished I knew how to write like you do. I am a engineer, pilot, ship captain, all kinda serious sort of things to do.

I want to be funny, but as close as I get is the way I look...lol

Really good stuff. I have to keep my eye on you.

Cheers,

Billy

Thanks for the kind words. Surprisingly, getting a little drunk before writing helps lower the inhibitions.

DO NOT TAKE MY ADVICE. Ha ha.

On 9/12/2020 at 7:19 AM, mark skinner said:

That was some Incredible writing on the lyrics. I especially liked the ending slide work. It really sounded like the juice was taking effect...   Great song and well performed.    mark

Yeah, there's a story there. I thought, "hey, I'll do some bottleneck slide!" But I searched and searched and could not FIND my slide. Improvising, I tried using a skinny can of Finger Ease, a guitar string lubricant I sometimes refer to as 'guitar deodorant.' But I literally could not get my hands on it; the angle was awkward. I then had the idea of putting my guitar on my lap ala the late, great Jeff Healey and playing slide that way. Well, it sucked. It stank. It was awful. I laughed and laughed at how bad it was. It was, in fact, so completely and utterly bad it was *good.* At that point the lightning struck. I'D LEAVE IT IN. It was so lousy, so clumsy that it perfectly portrayed the alcoholic aesthetic I was aiming for! I still crack up listening to it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Great story and it Definitely Worked. I like using a slide if the song calls for it  , but I've Never been able to use one correctly.  I Always play lap style using a heavy pedal steel slide. I asked Bonnie Raitt to come over but I havn't heard back from her.  I Very much enjoyed your song .  ms

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/10/2020 at 6:08 PM, Barry Seymour said:

Mike gave me the harp track, I felt it didn't have enough bite. So I added TH3 guitar effects to the track and it came to life

Tone is no less important to a harp player than to we guitarists (we guitarists would rather fight than switch).

Great songwriting once again Barry.
Love that snare!

👍's

Just hit the slide and effects
Double 👍's

(hell, its the last set, its fifty and drinks tonight, the crowds wasted; WTF!)

• Like 1