Jump to content
Douglas Kirby

Lucky Me

Recommended Posts

8 hours ago, Bajan Blue said:

Hi Doug - like this, really good track - the only thing I would say is I did find the cymbal crashes a splashy, if you know what I mean! When you output from Addictive Drums, do you output the individual tracks then process on a drum bus, or just output the final track - I haven't used Addictive Drums in some time, but if I remember it was a bit long-winded (PITA)  to output the individual outputs correctly.

Anyway apart from that, good stuff

Nigel

\

Thanks Nigel - I'll give those cymbals another listen. Regarding AD2, I just output the final track on a drum buss - I do my mixing using the mixer in AD2. Thanks for listening.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, David Sprouse said:

Your guitar playing is  tasteful.  Do you improvise while tracking the vocals?  The flute part is right out of the 60's, nice.    Your output is amazing, working on volume 3?  :D:D

Thanks for your kind comments David - I appreciate it. Improvise while tracking vocals - I just sing what seems right for the song - and I'm always changing the lyrics as I go along. Also, I try to figure out what the best mic is for the song.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Stream of consciousness here... all just my humble opinions...

  • Nice shuffle, I love the sound of the lead guitar.
  • Cymbal hits seem a bit much between lines of the verse.
  • Chorus feels a little crowded. Maybe separate things a bit sonically, leave a bit more space to breathe? (EQ them differently, pan them?) Again, a little more cymbal than I'd like.
  • I like the languid vibe of the singing. Maybe mix it down just a tiny tad.
  • Lead guitar solo sounds good, but a touch loud. Blend it a bit more?
  • Ooooh. NICE FLUTE.
  • Nice fade out... maybe linger a bit longer??

    Love the song! Great work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Barry Seymour said:

Stream of consciousness here... all just my humble opinions...

  • Nice shuffle, I love the sound of the lead guitar.
  • Cymbal hits seem a bit much between lines of the verse.
  • Chorus feels a little crowded. Maybe separate things a bit sonically, leave a bit more space to breathe? (EQ them differently, pan them?) Again, a little more cymbal than I'd like.
  • I like the languid vibe of the singing. Maybe mix it down just a tiny tad.
  • Lead guitar solo sounds good, but a touch loud. Blend it a bit more?
  • Ooooh. NICE FLUTE.
  • Nice fade out... maybe linger a bit longer??

    Love the song! Great work.

I'm glad you liked the song Barry - thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

More Kirby, as always well done!
Some of the crits are good advice, but life changing? Your song, your production.
I will say I much prefer handling the drum mix in CbB; EZD2, SuperiorD3, MODO, etc.; rather than a 2 track from the VSTi.
The Paul sounds great (never bonded with TH-U).
The 4040 seems to like your voice, that's a good thing! (not a big ART fan TBH, but its working well for you!)

👍's...

t

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great song really enjoyed it but like the others did not like the drums at all.  When using canned drums it's best to not bring them to the listeners attention. Because of the crashes and crazy rolls they got mine and I knew without you telling me they were canned. I would dummy them down a bit. AD does have some pretty nasty crashes and I never did find a ride with a bell sound. I just recorded a band with a real drummer and now I can't stand my in the box drum tracks! 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, DeeringAmps said:

More Kirby, as always well done!
Some of the crits are good advice, but life changing? Your song, your production.
I will say I much prefer handling the drum mix in CbB; EZD2, SuperiorD3, MODO, etc.; rather than a 2 track from the VSTi.
The Paul sounds great (never bonded with TH-U).
The 4040 seems to like your voice, that's a good thing! (not a big ART fan TBH, but its working well for you!)

👍's...

t

Thanks for your comments Tom.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, John Vere said:

Great song really enjoyed it but like the others did not like the drums at all.  When using canned drums it's best to not bring them to the listeners attention. Because of the crashes and crazy rolls they got mine and I knew without you telling me they were canned. I would dummy them down a bit. AD does have some pretty nasty crashes and I never did find a ride with a bell sound. I just recorded a band with a real drummer and now I can't stand my in the box drum tracks! 

Thanks for listening John - I appreciate it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow, I loved this one!  That rhythmic riff sets it all off for me.  The lyrics were clever and the guitar work was perfect.  I even liked the drums.

Nice one!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If Andy Warhol ever heard you, your likeness would be hanging in the Louvre.

you are like midnight on Route 9 with a  star child sister of benevolence

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You're rockin' your style in style Douglas. Nice job on the production and performance.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...