Is my sound driver (NVIDIA high definition audio) compatible with ASIO? Do I need ASIO?

Oscar Garzon

Question

A youtube video said i should use ASIO as my driver mode but I'm having problems with my sound driver and ASIO4ALL app working together.

I go to youtube and it says audio renderer is having problems, restart your computer. In Cakewalk, I have a audio output problem (18).

Is my sound driver (NVIDIA high definition audio) compatible with ASIO? Do I need ASIO?

4 answers to this question

No, NVIDIA high definition audio does not support ASIO mode.  You probably could use ASIO4ALL, but that is never a recommended solution

You may be able to use your onboard audio drivers in WASAPI mode. However, you may not get the results you're after.

What you really need is a quality audio interface that comes with its own native ASIO drivers.  If you do that, it is recommended that you disable your NVIDIA high definition audio.

The chip installed in a PC is designed for audio playback.

It will work fine if you primarily plan on

• using audio and MIDI loops
  • entering MIDI data using step recording or directly into the Piano Roll View, Staff View or Step Sequencer

You will have limited success recording audio or MIDI from external devices such as a microphone, musical instrument or MIDI keyboard.without an audio interface capable of low latency performance.

• Thanks 1
  • Great Idea 1