Feature Request: Plugin Alliance Preset Compatibility

Lee Jackson

I can't remember how it was in SONAR, and I've never used CbB, (jumped ship in 2015)but the presets for PA plugins don't initially show up in Studio One, but all you have to do is right click in the plugin list, select refresh and 2 seconds later the presets are there, repeat for any new PA plugs you may get in the future. Perhaps there is a 'refresh' thingy in the right click menu in CbB's list?

7 hours ago, chris.r said:

My experience is that VST2 version do have preset manager implemented but not vst3. I would prefer to use vst3 version but that issue is making me keep using VST2.

I have the same experience and not only with Plugin Alliance. It seems that the VST2 specification is more precise in respect to presets than the VST3 one. Ironically the VST2 support is going to end now (big thank to Steinberg)! Also I see that many plugin providers implement their own preset management, maybe caused by the fxxxing VST3 specification. For us, the users this is cumbersome because you cannot learn one single mechanism!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, marled said:

Also I see that many plugin providers implement their own preset management...

This made me remember that PA updated some plugins quite recently and I should go check if they added preset manager in their vst3 version.

8 hours ago, marled said:

For us, the users this is cumbersome because you cannot learn one single mechanism!

That shouldn't be a problem if there was just a handful of them on the market but I did a clean windows install a while ago and promised to myself this time, for plugins, to go only with the really needed ones. So far I'm on 923 count and had to take a bit of fresh air.

1 minute ago, chris.r said:

PA updated some plugins quite recently and I should go check if they added preset manager in their vst3 version.

I recently ran the PA update you mentioned but no change for any that I have. They added some scalable UI options plus fixes, no preset display or manager. 

I've also made a point to install VST3 only, have not checked any VST2 versions.  

• 2 weeks later...

This is a PA issue. Their plugins should display the loaded preset in their UI. They should also allow selection of the provided presests. Their UAD version do. Shouldn't have anything to do with VST3 as other vendors support it.

Fwiw, decided to load the channels up with TMT console strips for 9 tracks of drums and promptly got bogged down trying to keep track of which one was what when EQing the different tracks. Maybe there's something wrong with my workflow, but found it pretty annoying. I realize I could prename them and save them in the little ULH corner managed by CxB, but that's hardly optimal or user friendly.

I pinged PA support to see if I was missing anything and got the DIY answer of manually loading the presets one at a time and saving them as a CxB preset.  They gave the CxB team good props, but didn't answer my question.

Plan to try sales next. Maybe that will help.