Jump to content
  • 0
pdkmusic

What if the updated version has issues and want to install the previous version. Can I do that?

Question

Ok. I am trying to stick with cakewalk and I want to know some things before fully commit to it. I really like that daw btw and it really fits my workflow.  

As the title says, its not uncommon for me (and for some of you I guess) to have problems with an update and want to uninstall and reinstall the older version that works best on my pc. I cannot find any old versions of cakewalk (I mean bandlab version. Not sonar). You either use the latest version or no at all. Am I missing something here. I dont want to always live on fear that an update will stop me for working. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

14 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 1
3 minutes ago, pdkmusic said:

Ok. I am trying to stick with cakewalk and I want to know some things before fully commit to it. I really like that daw btw and it really fits my workflow.  

As the title says, its not uncommon for me (and for some of you I guess) to have problems with an update and want to uninstall and reinstall the older version that works best on my pc. I cannot find any old versions of cakewalk (I mean bandlab version. Not sonar). You either use the latest version or no at all. Am I missing something here. I dont want to always live on fear that an update will stop me for working. 

What I tend to do, is after installing I make a copy of the Cakewalk folder within C:\Program Files\, and keep them there for each version eg:

programfiles.png

If there is a problem with an update, I simply run the Cakewalk.exe within one of the older backup directories.

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1

If you copy the backup Cakewalk Core directories on to a flash drive, you should be able to copy them back to C:\Program Files\Cakewalk.

All the required registry entries will be made by the latest install on your new machine, so the older versions should work fine.

I've actually tried this - another user requested an older version back in August '18, and my copy of that directory worked fine for him.

 

  • Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Thank you this is a good solution. I wish this could work on a new machine or after a format too. But I guess I need to register cakewalk and I have to install the latest version. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Yes. even if you retained the installers, it is easiest to let BandLab Assistant do the initial installation and activation.

It is possible to retain installers but it is not as easy as it was prior to 2018-11. Here is an explanation of the current CbB update process.

I too keep hot copies of prior versions. Started doing this when SONAR Platinum was released. In fact, I wrote a simple front end to let me switch between versions called Cakewalk Launchpad. The tool is available on my Google page. It has a few more features than starting the various version of SONAR/CbB. All the details are in the documentation.

The only time a copy of a prior versions program folder may not be enough is when a problem is introduced in the shared programs. This rarely happens. Still it is possible. One could create copies of the "Shared Utilities" folder but unlike the CbB program folders, it is not possible to run multiple version of the "Shared Utilities" live. All version of CbB use the same registry entries that point to a single instance of "Shared Utilities." It is possible to swap out the entire "Shared Utilities" folder or individual programs in the folder. In the very rare instances when "Shared Utilities" is broken, I usually re-install. If I failed to retain the installed, I would use a backup.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
4 hours ago, scook said:

Yes. even if you retained the installers, it is easiest to let BandLab Assistant do the initial installation and activation.

 

Hi Scook. Don't mean to rob a thread, but I  thought you may have a quick answer, or I will post a new thread if you like.

I had drive failure so decided it was time for a new rebuild. I don't use many instruments, so was only putting back what I use as I go. I've had everything backed up for years and srl numbers and activation codes all saved to a word doc. I've installed DM pro 1.5 but it will not accept my registration code. I've tried copying direct from my account, but still no go. Worried about everything else now,  like Z3TA +2.  Do they/should they still work?

 

cheers Dave.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Sorry Scook.  Forgot you have to activate outside the program  as admin, which worked. Well for DMPRO so far.  Glad you solved it for me lol!! I've been sitting for hours banging the desk and it came to me as I was shutting down.  cheers. Dave.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
On 2/24/2019 at 11:39 AM, msmcleod said:

If you copy the backup Cakewalk Core directories on to a flash drive, you should be able to copy them back to C:\Program Files\Cakewalk.

All the required registry entries will be made by the latest install on your new machine, so the older versions should work fine.

I've actually tried this - another user requested an older version back in August '18, and my copy of that directory worked fine for him.

 

G'day, Mark in Scotland ... Having recently updated to the latest version (2019_07), I find that I cannot revert to previous project versions. I've lodged the issue with BandLab's FB page but meanwhile I need to get on with things! Are you able to supply me with the previous update?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
16 minutes ago, rayrains said:

G'day, Mark in Scotland ... Having recently updated to the latest version (2019_07), I find that I cannot revert to previous project versions. I've lodged the issue with BandLab's FB page but meanwhile I need to get on with things! Are you able to supply me with the previous update?

I'm at work at the moment, so it'll need to wait until I get back home - probably in around 10 hours. I'll PM you when I get back home.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
Posted (edited)

Hi Mark

 

Apologies if this is not the correct/appropriate channel, but I just allowed the Bandlab update and now a number of my mastering plugins are generating distortion/pops/clicks. All was fine prior to the update but like many others I didnt realise there was no 'uninstall update' option to revert back to a previous version. It seems like you have previous installer versions - could I beg one off you too?

Regards

GBT

Edited by GBTBassist
edit typos

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
3 hours ago, GBTBassist said:

Hi Mark

 

Apologies if this is not the correct/appropriate channel, but I just allowed the Bandlab update and now a number of my mastering plugins are generating distortion/pops/clicks. All was fine prior to the update but like many others I didnt realise there was no 'uninstall update' option to revert back to a previous version. It seems like you have previous installer versions - could I beg one off you too?

Regards

GBT

Have you tried unchecking ‘plugin load balancing’ in Preferences, Audio, Playback and Recording?

I’ve had issues with certain plugins generating noise in places where there aren’t any clips with load balancing checked.  Works fine while the clips were playing.  Unchecking fixed it for me. J/c

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Hi Mark

 

Thanks, I tried that - no change. The only way I can stop the distortion is to remove the plugin and as it is my final stage mastering plugin (Ozone) that is now causing the distortion/pops/clicks I cant just remove it :) All other plugins seem to be working fine so not sure why it is only Ozone that is problematic now.

Are there other channels to get previous cakewalk builds so I can roll back from yesterdays update?

I will then follow your great idea to copy the installer to a different location to avoid the problem in future.

Cheers

GBT

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
Posted (edited)

Hi Mark

I'd still appreciate the previous installer file if possible but I think I resolved the problems.

Seems my Sapphire ASIO buffer size had been set to 32 during the update from the 256 I normally set it to. Once I changed the size back the distortion stopped.

Cheers

GBT

Edited by GBTBassist
edited for clarity

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
20 minutes ago, GBTBassist said:

Hi Mark

I'd still appreciate the previous installer file if possible but I think I resolved the problems.

Seems my Sapphire ASIO buffer size had been set to 32 during the update from the 256 I normally set it to. Once I changed the size back the distortion stopped.

Cheers

GBT

I've not got the previous installer - all I have is a backup of my C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Cakewalk Core

It's highly unlikely the 2017.07 is the cause of any of the issues you've described. In my opinion, it's by far the most stable release to date.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

×