Feature: PRV midi CC lanes to support nodes like the track automation

Josh Wolfer

I'd like to be able to manipulate midi CC data via nodes with options, like jump, linear, fast curve, slow curve. This would make adjustments quite a bit easier for me and the visual easier to understand as well. I'm doing a lot of orchestral style instruments lately and being able to click a couple nodes and set to slow curve, would simplify drawing in the curve manually. And it'd make fine tuning it a bit easier, as you could just drag nodes around instead of re-drawing the curve. 

20 minutes ago, msmcleod said:

You can do this using existing automation lanes - just add a new lane and assign the automation lane to the CC you want to control.

@msmcleod Thank you for the information. This has a few problems with the workflow: 

• The CC information in PRV does not sync up with the Track view midi automation. 
    • This is especially problematic if I want to perform the CC from my midi controller. My NI s88 has a ribbon I've assigned to CC11 and it's great for recording a CC11 performance. But if I ever want to use Nodes as well as my performance, I now have 2 very different places I have to modify and keep track. 
    • Think of it like this: Just like automating faders with a control surface that has 100mm faders, I want to potentially start a CC11 performance on my midi controller, and then refine it via the nodes / curves automation style.
  • The track view isn't a great place to set the CC automation. I would much rather set CC automation from PRV as it's a better view to look at the notes that are going on in the track I wish to modify, as well as other tracks for musical context. It's a lot easier to follow along. 
Edited by Josh Wolfer

At least for the moment, this isn't possible.

What you can do is use the inline PRV on the track which would give you the same view except with automation lanes instead of controller lanes.

You can also record your controller data directly to the automation track rather than a controller lane.

3 minutes ago, msmcleod said:

At least for the moment, this isn't possible.

What you can do is use the inline PRV on the track which would give you the same view except with automation lanes instead of controller lanes.

You can also record your controller data directly to the automation track rather than a controller lane.

Please note my request to do it from the PRV, as that would be pretty great. 

Regarding your work around, It's mildly annoying since: 

• Other controller data like the modwheel completely dominates the track PRV.
  • No other instrument notes are overlayed. Not the worst thing in the world, but still not ideal for me.

Working out of PRV would solve these.

image.thumb.png.3df663de773941c4ed04ae7a6f1f972f.png

How do you record automation straight from my controller? I have a feeling this is something to do with ACT. 

Specifically, I'm using an NI s88 with the ribbon. If I select write automation on the lane (set to CC 11) and then touch the ribbon, it's not recorded to the automation lane: 

image.png.6a36fa382688bf267a26cddcd880ba5c.png

If I arm the instrument track and press record, it's obviously going to record it in the midi CC area of PRV, like I've been doing. 

How should I go about this? 

Thanks!

Right click on the widget area (where the slider that shows 64 is on your image above), and select "Remote Control".

You can either manually select the input on the dialog, or click "Learn" and touch the ribbon.

When you write enable the automation lane and start playing, it'll record the automation.

13 minutes ago, Josh Wolfer said:

Please note my request to do it from the PRV, as that would be pretty great. 

I'll put it to the team tomorrow... I'm pretty sure we've got something similar in the backlog though.

In the meantime, checkout the transform tool on the PRV controller. Whilst it isn't quite exactly what you're looking for, it does allow you to alter the angle / shape of the controller data in a much easier way:

14 minutes ago, msmcleod said:

Right click on the widget area (where the slider that shows 64 is on your image above), and select "Remote Control".

You can either manually select the input on the dialog, or click "Learn" and touch the ribbon.

When you write enable the automation lane and start playing, it'll record the automation.

Ah! That did it. I had forgotten exactly how to remote control it. So that is pretty helpful. Thanks for your help. I definitely would like this level of control in PRV directly, but this does give me some additional options to play with.