Sonar X3 question (no sound)

I'm using the Hotone Audio JOGG as my interface.  When I run Band-in-a-Box... no problem... sound, etc.  When I run Sonar X3 NOTHING.  It's not recognizing my interface, which works fine with Windows 10, etc., and even in my audio selection you can see the JOGG device, but no sound on playback or during recording. Any advice? Not a fan of Bandlab, maybe because I'm not used to it and have been working with Sonar X3 for several years.

Really should consider upgrading to Cakewalk by BandLab. X3 is getting a little old (almost 7 years) and it makes no sense to update everything except the software you want to use.

Did you install the ASIO driver? The Hotone web page says the device does not require a special driver if running a certain level of Win10 but it may be needed for software released before Win10 such as X3.

Do not confuse BandLab the web-based DAW with Cakewalk by BandLab the DAW build from SONAR Platinum sources.

Cakewalk by BandLab and the SONAR X series use the same skylight interface.

One big difference is, after X3, the DAW supports themes.

The X3 style theme is still there. It is called Mercury and looks a lot like X3 to me

PhvbaQ7.png

Cakewalk by BandLab installs as an upgrade to SONAR. Both DAWs have their own directory, the shared files are updated and backward compatible. All of the content installed with 64bit X3 is usable in CbB.

Installation instructions are here

The process starts by installing BandLab Assitant.

The instructions are in the link above.

On the Apps tab in BandLab Assistant, the second item is the installer for Cakewalk by BandLab.

Click the install button and BA will download and run the ~500MB installer and active CbB.

This is what I don't get... so much for plug and play... same problem with new BandLab vs. Sonar X3... Previously I used to go direct to my computer and press the 'record' button and the 'mic' button (so that I can hear what I'm recording).  Now, I have to turn off the mic button because it gives me a weird feedback.  Fine... but with just the record I do NOT hear my delay pedal... and it's going direct into my interface and DAW.  Yet, when I play back what I recorded, I hear the delay.  What's up with that?

Apparently using JOGG Microphone.  That is strange.  Not sure why it avoids the delay, with delay being the LAST in the chain of my pedals/amps going into the interface and direct to DAW.  Previously, I never heard my guitar UNLESS I clicked on the 'mic' icon (next to the record icon of the track). Now I hear it regardless, but cannot hear the delay UNLESS I record and play it back. What?

All I can suggest is review how everything is connected before and after the PC.

Feedback is not possible in the DAW without something outside the DAW connecting an output to an input.

If audio effects are getting recorded the effects must be in the signal coming from the interface to the DAW.

Scook... thanks again for your input and time.  When I click on the Audio, it indicates for INPUT: microphone (Jogg USB audio) and OUTPUT: speakers (Jogg USB audio).

There is no other option for those two. Recording also is microphone (Jogg USB audio). 

For playback and recording, I selected WASAPI Shared.  I'll change this to WASAPI exclusive to see if it makes a difference.  Gear shut down for the night, but will get back if it doesn't work or if you have other suggestions.  Have a good weekend.

On 8/7/2020 at 6:43 PM, scook said:

All I can suggest is review how everything is connected before and after the PC.

Feedback is not possible in the DAW without something outside the DAW connecting an output to an input.

If audio effects are getting recorded the effects must be in the signal coming from the interface to the DAW.

I'll see if I can clarify this.  I'm using the JOGG interface, which has cables running to my mixer/speakers.  It has a USB going to my computer as well.  My layout is basic, in that I have a drive pedal into an amp... amp into a load box with speaker sim... and that goes into a delay/echo (I prefer the sound at the end of the chain).  The delay goes into the JOGG.  What's weird is that when selecting an interface, it recognizes the JOGG, but using the microphone to record and speakers to playback (no other options available). While playing and/or recording I hear myself clearly, but not the delay/echo... which I do hear upon playback.

• Confused 1

Latency through the audio interface. You're probably monitoring through Cakewalk now, whereas before, you were monitoring directly from an interface output.

scook is right, there's no way to get things to feed back inside Cakewalk. However, if you're using Windows drivers, that can happen if the "What You Hear" slider is up along with an output slider. I'd investigate what's going on with your Windows sound, but bear in mind that the JOGG would probably not be considered a "pro-level" interface, which means there will be limitations.

Interfaces drop in value very fast. You might be able to pick up an inexpensive interface that supports ASIO on reverb.com for cheap. 

Just out of curiosity, have you downloaded the latest firmware and drivers?

Edited by Craig Anderton
add more info

Using Windows 10 ? try WASAPI exclusive for your driver mode.

Once i read, plug and play, no drivers need for any product, i run. All good products create their own drivers and keep them updated. Companies that don't do that, often reply on ASIO4ALL or onboard WASAPI. More or less because they don't want to be bothered or responsible for having to pay a software development vendor to keep up with their product.