Fix for latency?

Erik Putrycz

On 3/3/2019 at 8:34 PM, Sidney Earl Goodroe said:

I have absolutely got to turn off my wifi and above all, kill the antivirus before I even open any audio programs!!! When my Windows 10 antivirus is turned on my latency has to be upwards around 512 even on ASIO drivers!! With the antivirus off I can run the same large project at 128 to 170!!!

Sidney, If you are using plugin effects that are only meant for mixing and/or mastering, then you should not have those enabled when you are still recording. Certain plugins that are meant for mixing and/or mastering and not Recording, have hidden buffers in them.

Do not use any plugin in the recording stage that have hidden buffers in them and that are meant for mixing and mastering. Insert them after the tracks are recorded. It makes no difference as they are Non-Destructive. So they are not getting printed onto the track anyways

Exactly!  Yup! ( I concur with what @Sidney Earl Goodroe said, above).

It is important to keep one's latency low, during recording.  Once the project moves into mixing/mastering, THAT is when you can enlarge the ASIO Buffer Size to something like 1024 or 2048, and load up linear phase plugins, or convolution reverb, or other resource intensive types plugins, because latency isn't an issue at that point in a project's life cycle.  

If you have finished recording, and started mixing, and loaded up the heavy-duty buffer-hungry effects, only to find out you have some additional recording to do - I suggest you either temporarily freeze tracks that use those effects, or temporarily turn off any effects that require a larger ASIO Buffer Size, and change your ASIO Buffer Size back down to 128 or less, if possible, so that your latency is low enough to properly record without lag or other audio issues.  Then, once finished fixing the recorded tracks, you can turn those effects back on, or unfreeze the frozen tracks, and jack up the ASIO Buffer Size back up to 1024/2048 and resume mixing, etc.....

So, 128 or less, if possible when recording, and 1024 or 2048, when mixing/mastering.  It is pretty much the way of the world, forever.  :) 

Bob Bone

• Like 1