Luminous Night Nebulous Light

Jerry Gerber

2 hours ago, DeeringAmps said:

Stellar as always Jerry.
Beautiful soundstage, what do you use for the ambiance?
(have I asked this before...)

tom

Hi Tom,

By ambience, do you mean reverberation?   I am pretty sure for that piece I used the Yamaha SPX-2000 reverb...

Thanks for listening!

Jerry

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, mark skinner said:

J , I can't believe the Balance you achieved in this. I just listened again thru my boze cans.  The clarity , tone and depth was incredible...    mark

Why, thank you very much Mark.  I am glad you appreciated my piece!   All done in Sonar (before it was Cakewalk).

Best,

Jerry

Quite an impressive piece Jerry. So I'm wondering how you go about creating something like this. It just seems free form to me, like it's not written beforehand but written as you go along, one section suggesting the next but directed by your mood minute by minute.

10 hours ago, bjornpdx said:

Quite an impressive piece Jerry. So I'm wondering how you go about creating something like this. It just seems free form to me, like it's not written beforehand but written as you go along, one section suggesting the next but directed by your mood minute by minute.

Hi Bjorn,

When I set out to compose a piece, I have a few parameters.  Is this going to be a standalone piece, or is it going to be of a larger piece, i.e. a symphonic movement, a piece in a set of songs, or a set of piano works? 

Then I decide, very roughly, approximate length.   When I begin composing, I start with either a motive or melodic phrase, a chord or chord progression, a rhythmic pattern, or even just an instrument or two.  There's no one way to begin a piece.  After I've written maybe 25-50 measures, (if it's going to be a longer piece)  then I evaluate whether the piece is going to "fly",  meaning I commit to writing it till the end, or I abandon the idea and begin something else.  I'd say about 25% of the time I abandon the idea. 

I am a strong believer that form and structure evolve directly from content.  I haven't analyzed what the form of this particular piece is, I compose intuitively and build up structures based on what I've already written.  form follows content.  I strive to ensure that the "seams", or the "joints" are not audible.  The  goal is to create a piece which has autonomy, a sense of inevitability and structural cohesion.   I have to understand emotionally and intellectually what I write.  If there's any confusion at all as to what I mean, I rewrite, rewrite and rewrite.  Sometimes I'll write a section and think, "no, I don't want the piece to go in that direction", and I delete that section and begin again from that point forward.  That happens a lot.  

A composer has to be two things:   He has to be his own fiercest critic and his most passionate supporter.  You can't just be one or the other, it must be both!

Thanks for listening Bjorn!

Jerry

• Thanks 2