Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Starise

Intel Core i9 9900K Coffee Lake 8 core

Recommended Posts

Intel Core i9 Coffee Lake 8-core , 3.6 GHZ,  5 GHZ OC.  449.99 LGA 1151  95 w desktop processor.

I don't think this is a bad price for these right now. If you have a MOBO with 1151 this might be a decent upgrade.  ASRock MOBOs are in the 175.00 range.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Forget the Intel Core i9-9900K processor, I just want the Free Funko BB-8 robot being offered.   🙃

  • Great Idea 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Under a grand can theoretically get you into a high end DAW at these prices if you build it yourself.   This just doesn't happen in the Mac world. Not picking on Mac, just saying why I'm not a Mac guy. I have  an old DAW that was laying around since I built my last one. I could remove the MOBO from the silent case  add some SSDs, memory an OS and be good to go. Can't justify it more than admitting it's just  PC  ( GAS) at this point.  

If I thought prices were going to rise in the future though I would be tempted to make a run at this or similar.  Maybe buy a part at a time until I eventually had the whole shebang. The memory and the graphics card would influence the price. I could still keep it close to that number I think.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Starise said:

Under a grand can theoretically get you into a high end DAW at these prices if you build it yourself.   This just doesn't happen in the Mac world. Not picking on Mac, just saying why I'm not a Mac guy. I have  an old DAW that was laying around since I built my last one. I could remove the MOBO from the silent case  add some SSDs, memory an OS and be good to go. Can't justify it more than admitting it's just  PC  ( GAS) at this point.  

If I thought prices were going to rise in the future though I would be tempted to make a run at this or similar.  Maybe buy a part at a time until I eventually had the whole shebang. The memory and the graphics card would influence the price. I could still keep it close to that number I think.  

Starise,

A  DAW is a Digital Audio Workstation,  therefore a computer is not a DAW.  It is the software used in the computer to mix and create music like Cakewalk, Pro Tools or Cubase. 

Just letting you know.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Digital Audio Workstation. Without hardware The software is useless.

 

 

 

 

 

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, jesse g said:

Starise,

A  DAW is a Digital Audio Workstation,  therefore a computer is not a DAW.  It is the software used in the computer to mix and create music like Cakewalk, Pro Tools or Cubase. 

Just letting you know.

I'm baking a cake but I can't call it a cake until it's a cake, so I have to say I'm making a "pre-cake" ? It's all the sum of the hardware/software. If I'm building a DAW, I'm building a digital audio workstation. Nuff said. Have a good day!

My direction on my next build will be making sure the MOBO is Thunderbolt compatible with Presonus Quantum and similar thunderbolt interfaces. An interface is  part of a DAW.

Just letting you know.;)

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

DCC?

 

DAW Capable Computer?

 

😜

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Bapu said:

DCC?

 

DAW Capable Computer?

 

😜

Hmmmmm........CCS Cake capable sugar?  DCC? Yep makes sense. Remember when that was a Pentium 2 and 2gb of ram?:)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm so old I remember when a DAW was an abacus.

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With all technology...if you can wait, it will get cheaper. 

I wonder if someday there will be fanbois that gush over the audio quality of vintage CPUs?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, StudioNSFW said:

With all technology...if you can wait, it will get cheaper. 

I wonder if someday there will be fanbois that gush over the audio quality of vintage CPUs?

Wishful thinking.  Intel is overpriced.  Plus I don't see those video cards dropping in price anytime soon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Paul Young said:

Wishful thinking.  Intel is overpriced.  Plus I don't see those video cards dropping in price anytime soon.

I'm certainly not past considering a Ryzen build. One of the main selling points for the i-9  9900K is the 95 watts. Thunderbolt tech is purchased from Intel isn't it?  I could be wrong.  Design originated with Apple, somehow crossed over to Intel...possibly because  Apple was/is using Intel. Moving to ARM.  If true, this means AMD has to license TB2&3 from Intel.  I have seen TB MOBOs  for Ryzen builds.  Not sure how well they are working with TB audio interfaces or how much those MOBOs cost.

There's always a lot of homework to do before a build ( at least for me there is).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, StudioNSFW said:

With all technology...if you can wait, it will get cheaper. 

I wonder if someday there will be fanbois that gush over the audio quality of vintage CPUs?

I lean in this direction too thinking optimistically. A lot of this probably depends on the state of the future markets IMHO. The C virus caused a lot of trade manufacturing issues. Not sure if things will be stable later. Anything could rock the boat, a typhoon hitting a factory could do it. SSDs were scarce or pricey there for awhile due to some bad circumstances. They have since started to come down in price. 

Right now in my area we only have to deal with the West Nile Virus, COVID-19, the spotted lantern fly invasion, weather modification, chem trails, stinging jelly fish etc......I only think about it if I watch the news . Any other time it's a beautiful day. How much any of this affects things like component manufacturing might be negligible.  People need money to buy the stuff though. If people aren't working they can't buy. If they can't buy what will that do to prices? If you lower prices while expenses go up you don't make any money. They might minimize their profit margins some. Might take a little longer to see the next cpu. Everything has  a way of balancing out.  Thunderbolt doesn't seem to be a widespread consumer demand. Might be seen as a feature for a minority similar to firewire. Only Mac photographers and some studio musicians were using FW.  Something like the i9-9900K would future proof you for awhile.

There are guys collecting old computers and running the old software on them. I won't be one of those. On the old CW forum we had guys still running some old software to make music. Like ATARI configurations lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Paul Young said:

Wishful thinking.  Intel is overpriced. 

There will never be high demand for "vintage" (old) CPUs.   

 

I don't know if I'd agree that Intel is overpriced.

Overpriced compared to what?

I paid less for a i9-9900k than I did for a P2-266 ~23 years.

 

AMD is great in some areas (heavily multi-threaded applications)... and weak in others (extremely low latency audio).

The new 10900k is $600... and all 10 cores will run locked at 5300MHz... and it'll do so running quietly with quality air-cooling.

You won't get all-core clock-speed anywhere close to that with AMD (or socket 2066 Intel for that matter).

TDP for the 10900k is 125w

That's about the top end for a quiet air-cooled machine.

 

Threadripper has TDP of 280w... and (if you use PCIe 4.0 to get crazy fast M.2 Ultra SSD speeds), you've got an active-cooled chipset (tiny high-RPM fan).

With TDP of 280w and active-cooled chipset, there's no such thing as a quiet Threadripper build (unless you allow it to thermal-throttle - which defeats the whole point).

Edited by Jim Roseberry
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, Jim Roseberry said:

There will never be high demand for "vintage" (old) CPUs.   

 

I don't know if I'd agree that Intel is overpriced.

Overpriced compared to what?

I paid less for a i9-9900k than I did for a P2-266 ~23 years.

 

AMD is great in some areas (heavily multi-threaded applications)... and weak in others (extremely low latency audio).

The new 10900k is $600... and all 10 cores will run locked at 5300MHz... and it'll do so running quietly with quality air-cooling.

You won't get all-core clock-speed anywhere close to that with AMD (or socket 2066 Intel for that matter).

TDP for the 10900k is 125w

That's about the top end for a quiet air-cooled machine.

 

Threadripper has TDP of 280w... and (if you use PCIe 4.0 to get crazy fast M.2 Ultra SSD speeds), you've got an active-cooled chipset (tiny high-RPM fan).

With TDP of 280w and active-cooled chipset, there's no such thing as a quiet Threadripper build (unless you allow it to thermal-throttle - which defeats the whole point).

Overpriced to my previous builds.  Let.s not forget you have to buy a cooler.

Tempted to go with an i9 build but there might be the risk of not being able to replace a board.

 

Edited by Paul Young

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...