I Am Reapist

S.L.I.P.

At the great divide (whereas SONAR may not have lived) REAPER had great potential for me using Azlow's .cwp->.rpp plugin. 

But then, Studio One 4 came out and lured me in like a siren.

Reaper's great but not very user friendly at all and they don't have a UX designer on the team and the devs seem to be proud of that fact.  The next release (probable 6.1) will have a BUNCH of improvements on many areas so at least it's getting better.

I'd love to use CbB as my main DAW but automation is nowhere near REAPER level, same as CC editing. Also zooming in CbB is just weird, never got used to it.

I have tried Reaper a few times, 3, 4 and 5, just never really got on with it and the name puts me off. It bluescreened my computer a couple of times and also just suddenly disappeared off the desktop, just shut down while I was using it, no windows notifications or anything. I went to the Reaper forum to get some support but was unfortunately just machine gunned with blame. 

Relative newbie here.  Until recently I'd only set foot in a studio two times, I think. And neither was behind the controls.  I did some recording years ago with a 4 track cassette machine.

I downloaded Cakewalk due to name recognition and already having a Bandlab account.  I also downloaded Reaper, as it seemed pretty highly regarded for those of us not looking to shell out hundreds on a DAW for home recording.

For some reason, Reaper's interface just didn't feel like I could get started right away.  Like I'd have to poke around to figure it out.  Cakewalk felt a little more natural to me.

I'm sure Reaper is a fine piece of software.  But its interface felt like too much of a hurdle to jump in with.  With Cakewalk it felt kind of similar to working on that old 4 track, just expanded.  I could probably get Reaper to look similar but I'm not looking to design the software, just to use it.

2 hours ago, Tezza said:

I have tried Reaper a few times, 3, 4 and 5, just never really got on with it and the name puts me off. It bluescreened my computer a couple of times and also just suddenly disappeared off the desktop, just shut down while I was using it, no windows notifications or anything. I went to the Reaper forum to get some support but was unfortunately just machine gunned with blame. 

I've been using Reaper for almost 3 years, and I have not had one single crash. No matter how many plugins I use, I can still run at low latency without a hiccup. The CPU performance can not be matched by any other DAW.  Here is a quote by Jim Roseberry from a thread posted recently on the Deals Forum: "Reaper is overall the most CPU efficient PC DAW application" 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Reaper is an exceptional DAW, but it requires a certain kind of person to use it.   If you enjoy customizing your DAW, then Reaper will let you set up menus and interfaces that are unique to your workflow. 

And yes, it's extremely CPU efficient, and I don't think I have ever had it crash.

Highly recommended!

• Like 1