How to change note name in event list SOLVED

Thomas Fort

Question

I opened an old project and when I look at the events list it has the note number under data instead of the diatonic name (C6, F#3, D4, etc.). I noticed it was the same way in the PRV but I was able to change it there but the event list still shows a number. I would like to see the diatonic name. How to fix?

Edited by Thomas Fort
SOLVED

9 answers to this question

18 minutes ago, slartabartfast said:

The event list is designed to show more or less raw MIDI data. MIDI notes are numbers. I do not know any way to change that display.

Here is what I want. Names not numbers under data.

event list Capture.PNG

Edited by Thomas Fort
clarity

OK. I was able to find a workaround. I saved the project as a type 1 midi file and when I opened that file it is back to showing the note names. The old file that showed only number was a .cwp file from around 10 years ago. So I've got it working but would like to know if there is a shortcut key or something that could change this as I suspect I may have more old files the will exhibit this behavior.

I started with pre-Windows 3.1 and don't remember the Event View/List having numbers instead of names.  It could be just a sign of my aging memory; or not.** If I find the one last Win 3.1 HDD that still worked as of maybe 5-6 years ago, I will see if still works and if so, what the Event List showed.

**For what its worth, the Event View in the Cakewalk Professional, Release 4.0 User's Guide shows note names in the Event View.  Maybe there was an option to show numbers instead of names? 

5 hours ago, User 905133 said:

I started with pre-Windows 3.1 and don't remember the Event View/List having numbers instead of names.  It could be just a sign of my aging memory; or not.** If I find the one last Win 3.1 HDD that still worked as of maybe 5-6 years ago, I will see if still works and if so, what the Event List showed.

**For what its worth, the Event View in the Cakewalk Professional, Release 4.0 User's Guide shows note names in the Event View.  Maybe there was an option to show numbers instead of names? 

I'm thinking maybe the file originated as a MIDI type 0 that I saved as a .cwp file. Not sure that would cause this but it's my only guess right now.

I figured out what was happening. I would open a project that had tracks set to a synth I no longer have installed. I would then add Cakewalk TTS-1 as a synth. The tracks would have a bank number that doesn't exist for that synth (like bank "1" instead of bank"15488 Preset Normal 0").  As soon as I change to a proper bank setting, the note names appear.

• Thanks 1

I am also puzzled by this, I have used Cakewalk since the DOS days and in early versions, could switch between note names and note numbers.  My current Ckaewalk by Bandlab shows some tracks in note numbers and some in note names in the same song????   I want note names as well, but can't seem to get the tracks to change over to note names.  I am new to this version as I am just now trying to switch over from the hardware world with rack mount synths to the software world, so I'm sure I am doing something wrong, I just can't seem to find it.

45 minutes ago, Glenn Taylor said:

When I loaded Cakewalk TTS-1 I see note NUMBERS, when I loaded Roland Canvas VSC I see NOTES.

It could be a default setting in Cakewalk TTS-1 ?

See above: "I figured out what was happening. I would open a project that had tracks set to a synth I no longer have installed. I would then add Cakewalk TTS-1 as a synth. The tracks would have a bank number that doesn't exist for that synth (like bank "1" instead of bank"15488 Preset Normal 0").  As soon as I change to a proper bank setting, the note names appear."

What bank is TTS-1 set to?

Edited by User 905133