Instruments Not Showing

Dean

• 1 month later...

I understand all the steps for connecting a Focusrite except for the last statement. "Finally, all audio playback will occur from the Focusrite Saffire 6 USB device. Make sure you have your speakers or headphones connected to its outputs".  Do I not have to be connected to a receiver like in my case a Pioneer SX 650 and then connected from the receiver say Aux or Tape to the back of the Focusrite to where on the Focusrite? 

• 2 weeks later...

I have a Focusrite Saffire 6 USB.  The cable is plugged into the 1 and 2 line outputs on the Focusrite RCA jacks.  This cable is then plugged into the Tape 1 receive of the pioneer stereo receiver SX 850.  The USB cable from the Focusrite is plugged into a USB plug on the computer.  In preferences I select ASIO and make sure Tape Monitor 1 switch is on.  I load a demo song  in BandLab.  I click on the play button and get this message:  "Unable to open audio playback device.  Device may not support the current projects audio format or may be in use."  If I select "MME (32 bit)"  the demo song will play.  If I try to record I can here and see the meters go up and down but it does not record.  I was told to use ASIO but am at a loss.  I did check to load the latest driver for Focusrite

On 10/11/2020 at 6:26 PM, Dean said:

Device may not support the current projects audio format or may be in use

This may mean that the sample rate is different in the Focusrite and Cakewalk.
Check the device and in Cakewalk's Preferences that they are the same.

Thanks for the response!

I went into CakeWalk and loaded a sample file called "Sophia Jane" and on my screen upper right hand corner it said "44.1" and "16".  I made sure in Cakewalk and Focusrite the settings were 44.1 and 16.  I used ASIO and "Tape 1" on my receiver.  I did not get the message "Unable to open playback device..." and when I pushed play the gray "pro Channel" the playback level goes up and down but no sound.  I also tried disabling in "device manager" "High Definition Audio Device" and "NVIDIA High Definition Audio Device".  This did not work.  I also closed all my other programs and restarted BandLab.  This did not work either.  I would assume since I am getting playback on the pro channel but no sound that it is a setting some place.  Should never assume. 

Can I use a Mackie 1202 VLZ instead of a Focusrite Saffire 6 USB?  I'm thinking this shouldn't be this complicated. 

Have you tried headphones directly into the Saffire? Have you gone into the Focusrite's mixer and set its ins and outs (routing)?
I don't have a Saffire 6 but it looks pretty old. Did you download the latest driver for it for your operating system?
I used a Saffire (original model) years ago but can't get it to work with Windows 10.

I am trying out all your suggestions before I look like an idiot.

But in the mean time I use windows 7 and have made sure that I have the latest driver for Focusrite.

If my Focusrite won't work with windows 7 what would be a recommended  audio interface?

Holy cow. How old is that Saffire 6? The download page doesn't even mention which version of windows the driver is for?  And maybe  the issue is related to the fact it was made for USB 1.1 and not 2.0   https://customer.focusrite.com/en/support/downloads?brand=Focusrite&product_by_range=410&download_type=all

Yes a new interface might be a good idea. The Mackie will not have good drivers either. I know, I had that mixer. 

I had to  re-read the entire post as I have lost track of the original issue. 

You should try my tutorial on getting started and see if that works. It's very basic but I explain step by step how to use a downloaded midi file to make a project. 

Go to my site found in my signature and look for the Cakewalk tutorials on midi. 

Edited by John Vere

OK, so you haven't downloaded from the website? This is a "must do" for all interfaces. Toss the CD out and go to the website and grab the latest driver. 

https://customer.focusrite.com/en/support/downloads?brand=Focusrite&product_by_range=542&download_type=software  

It's worth a shot seeing as your still on W7 it might be OK. 

But I would still start looking for a newer interface anyhow. They start at around $100 and up from there. I made a list of stuff that is what I figure you need to think about before your start looking. Everyone has different needs and sometimes it's best to spend a few extra bucks and get the correct features. Like needing 2 headphone jacks. Lots miss out on that one little feature and end up spending another $100 just to by a headphone amp. 

Here's my blurb: 

There is a lot of choices.

Make a list of your requirements first.

What kind of connectivity do you require? and how many of each.

These are some of the options:

XLR, 1/4",  Combi jacks,  RCA, ¼” line level, ¼” Instrument level ,MIDI, SPDIF, ADAT,MADI

How many ins and outs do you think you'll need now and in the future?

Are they accessible?  Front or rear panel?

Are all ¼” jacks Balanced?  

Is there a true stereo pair? Some don’t have a matched set of inputs. This makes recording a stereo instrument difficult. 

Pre Amps will fall under the “you get what you pay for”  rule, but check out the reviews anyhow. Your on your own with this one...

A/D convertors will also fall under the same rule and generally all are good these days. 

Are there peak level meters or just a little LED for each input?

Are there channel Insert jacks?

Are there separate controls for Monitor level and headphone level?

Is there a blend control for mixing Input Source with Computer ( DAW) ?

How many Headphone jacks? A level for each?

Are the input pads or line / Instrument toggle switches on the front, back or software controlled?

Is it a metal box or cheap plastic? Is it light and portable or large and bulky, Rack mountable?

Does it have an on / off switch?

Does it use Buss power or a power supply? Buss power can have issues with noise and Phantom power. Look for at least an optional power supply.  

Does it have DSP effects built in?

Does it use a GUI mixer? Having a software (GUI) mixer adds more options.

Can it be used as stand alone? Some interfaces are also handy as a small mixer and some mixers are handy as interfaces. 

What are the Round Trip Latency (RTL) specs? Do you need low RTL for real time processing?

Low RTL is going to be at a higher price point. A $200 interface will have hidden buffers etc.

Zero Latency monitoring is not the same as RTL. All interfaces have some latency.

Zero latency is just marketing hype for monitoring directly from the interface.

And most important of all, Does it have top notch drivers for your OS. 

What is the word on support from the company?

Does it come with free software, An LE version of a  DAW you would like to try?

Everyone will recommend the interface they have chosen, that doesn't mean it is the right one for you.

Wow!  Thanks for the reply.

Yes I did download a driver from the website.  But just to be sure I installed it again.  

So  thank you for the  list of features to check out.

I kind of like the  focusrite scarlett 2i2 gen 3.

It would be wonderful if it was just an out dated audio interface.

I installed "Ableton Live 10 Lite".  In the installation instructions it says "Now that you have selected ASIO from the driver type chooser you will be able to specify you audio interface in the Audio Device chooser.  If you don't see your audio device listed here, it probably requires a driver install before it can be recognized".  Since I got the latest driver can I assume (shouldn't do that) my Saffire 6USB is to old?  In "Audio Device"  "Driver type" It gives me a choice of "ASIO Focusrite USB ASIO Driver".  but none of the following installations steps work.

The presents of "ASIO Focusrite" shows it was installed correctly and recognized by windows and Ableton. The other driver is probably a generic driver so don't select that. 

Go to your windows Audio settings and see if the Focusrite device is on the list and set as default for recording and playback. WIth USB audio interfaces make sure you always use the same USB 2.0 port. Swapping ports or using a USB hub can cause issues. 

Now try playing a music file or any audio/ video. Get this working first. If it doesn't then I guess your interface is useless. 

If Widows can use the Focusrite then your DAW should too. 

Thanks John!

Anybody want an old Focusrite Saffire 6 USB (joke)

I got a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 3rd generation.  After installing it I downloaded a demo song and I was able to hear it through the headphones.  I could also hear a C D through the headphones.  I checked to make sure the settings were for speakers and it was.  How do I get sound to my speakers?