Can not record

I am a newb and have been using Cakewalk for 2 weeks.

Everything was fine until today and now I can not record any VST instruments.

I start with a simple instrument track on any VST and have chosen all records modes in different attempts.

I start the recording and can hear the instrument but nothing is recorded.

However. anything through my Steinberg interface is recorded.

After some testing this is only occurring with Drum VSTs but no other VSTs.

The drums include ESL101 1 and the SI Drum kit and all other drums I have.

Any ideas?

Edited by user6818931298578542
Update

I have installed new drum VSTs and reinstalled two that I already had and none work except a new  one and it disappears after I shut down Cakewalk.

I have done what was suggested and confirmed the midi source, first synth audio output and enabled midi output. Result is the same. Check the settings for my other VSTs and they are the same other than the midi source. 

Wondering if I should reinstall Cakewalk.

Any ideas

To start from the bottom: It is unclear to me,  how you actually produce the signal that you want to record?

Do you add notes in the piano roll with your mouse, or do you use a MIDI controller keyboard or something else? 

It is important that we know, that you know, that one can not record anything from the drum VSTi, but you create the MIDI track that feeds/plays the drum VSTi.
Clickin something in the drum VST or auditioning the samples there can not be recorded.

I wonder if you read carefully the links that Scook provided in post #2.

Hello Kalle,

I have a MIDI controller keyboard and have tried it, the computer keyboard and the piano roll the same thing occurs.

All VSTs work except for drums and they worked until the day I reported the problem. When I go to record the drums I can hear the drums when I play my midi keyboard but no signal (midi or audio) is recorded. Past recordings with those same drums play through properly.

However, drums in VST packs that are part of a number of instruments such as BBC Symphony Orchestra, DSK Indian Dreamz and Cakewalk TTS1 have no problem only dedicated drums such as SI Drum Kit, DPinga Congos and Bongos, H-1 drums etc. exhibit this issue.

I read the posts and tried the solutions but none worked.

Rebooting and reinstalling those drum VSTs does not work and neither does installing new drum VSTs that were never previously installed.

I will keep troubleshooting for a few days and failing any solution will try reinstalling Cakewalk even though its the last thing I want to do.

Thank you for confirming. That is a strange issue!

I assume none of the failing VSTs are in demo mode? It is a common thing with unlicensed VSTs that they can not be recorded. Then again, it seems that DPinga, for example, is free of charge, so it shouldn't require registration.

On 7/2/2020 at 4:36 PM, user6818931298578542 said:

However, drums in VST packs that are part of a number of instruments such as BBC Symphony Orchestra, DSK Indian Dreamz and Cakewalk TTS1 have no problem only dedicated drums such as SI Drum Kit, DPinga Congos and Bongos, H-1 drums etc. exhibit this issue.

I wonder if you have some weird MIDI channel assignment issue happening...    What happens if you record MIDI using one of those other synths and then copy the resulting MIDI clip to the drum synth's MIDI track?

If I was experiencing this problem, before opening a ticket with support I would try to create a recipe for the failure using plug-ins bundled with CbB.

Here is a test I might try.

1. start CbB (if the machine has not been booted today may want to do that too,  I turn off my machine every night and cold start the machine every morning, no sleep/hibernation mode used ever.)
  2. create a new project with the "-- Blank Project --" or an unmodified BandLab supplied project template. (Make sure to specify exactly which template was used to create the new project when reporting to support)
  3. using the add track menu, add "SI-Electric Piano" as an instrument track to the project (I selected this synth because it is supplied with CbB and part of the same family of plug-ins as "SI-Drum Kit", one of the plug-ins reported as a problem)
  4. record enable the track and record some MIDI notes using the keyboard controller making sure to include notes in the range documented for SI-Drums (roughly MIDI notes 35-59).
  5. verify the notes are recorded and play as expected on "SI-Electric Piano"
  6. with the cursor at the end of recorded MIDI, replace "SI-Electric Piano" with "SI-Drum Kit" by right-clicking the small icon to the left of the track name and selecting "Replace Synth" from the context menu then selecting "SI-Drum Kit" from the available synths.
  7. repeat step 4
  8. verify the notes are recorded and play as expected on "SI-Drum Kit."

If step 5 fails, the problem is not a Drum VST issue.

If step 8 fails, this is a recipe to report to support.

If step 8 does not fail then try steps 1 though 5 using "SI-Drum Kit" instead of "SI-Electric Piano." Make sure each step is performed exactly as the initial test all input settings must be identical to the initial test.

If the second test fails, this is a recipe to report to support Include the info about the test that passed and the test that failed.

When supplying information to support include as many details as possible. Include info about the OS and release level of CbB. Details about the keyboard controller and audio interface. Include how the controller is attached to the PC. Include the test projects.

• Like 2
  • Great Idea 1

One thing in this discussion that is not entirely clear to me is whether you are trying to record a MIDI track, or the audio output from the drum VST to an audio track?

Both are possible, but the recording methods are each unique in their approach.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Hi

I can`t record any vst ( midi ) but I have added a audio track and recorded the vst  as a work around

I have uninstalled and reinstalled

ALSO the  vst scan buttons are greyed out and can`t scan for vst`s 

I am running  Version  28.6.0.34