Cakewalk crash created empty "bounced" files from takes.

Simon Kamber

Question

I recorded a file with four vocal tracks, each with several takes.

I comped one of the tracks - the others were still in progress.

For some reason, Cakewalk crashed on me (probably an issue with the sound card), and now all the audio except the currently active take in each track is gone (which means I only have the latest take from each of the un-comped tracks).

When I look in the project audio folder, there is a bunch of audio files called "[track name] (bounced, XX)", but they are all empty.

In the project audio folder, I also still have the recorded audio files (the one with all the takes looping in a single audio file, name is "[project name], [part name], Rec ([number])). Those sound like they are fine, but they are not the ones Cakewalk is importing.

Is it somehow possible to make cakewalk "return" to the original files and ignore/recreate the "bounced" files? I'd rather not lose all my takes.

3 answers to this question

Follow-up: After some more research, it seems that it wasn't the crash that removed all the sound, it was misuse of the "convert to mono" function. Apparently, u-isc "convert to mono" on the main track removes all sound from muted takes. That seems odd.

I was able to recover 2 of the 3 lost tracks by re-importing the sound files and manually splitting them into take lanes, but it still seems weird that "convert to mono" would behave like this. Am I missing something?

I don't use "convert to mono" preferring to "Bounce to Tracks" to split tracks into mono but I have not used either on a track with take lanes.

If the program crashed send the dump to support following these instructions

I had already started to reply when the second post appeared. Here it is. They may help recover lost sessions.

If versioning is enabled you may be able to revert to a project file setup the way you want or something close to it.

Since the project has already been opened again the copy made by autosave (if enabled) may be newer than the crash. Autosave creates a copy of the project in the project folder with "Auto-save Copy of " prepended to the project file.

17 hours ago, scook said:

I don't use "convert to mono" preferring to "Bounce to Tracks" to split tracks into mono but I have not used either on a track with take lanes.

If the program crashed send the dump to support following these instructions

I am quite sure the issue is that I'm using at outdated external soundcard, and that Cakewalk has little to do with it. It has crashed in a similar manner before.

If versioning is enabled you may be able to revert to a project file setup the way you want or something close to it.

That sounds like a useful thing to enable anyway. Thank you! (I am still finding my way around all the buttons in this program).