Jump to content
Josh Wolfer

Feature: Partial clip gain via control shortcut + selection

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, chuckebaby said:

It used to be SHIFT+CLICK/DRAG but i just noticed that doesn't seem to work anymore.

Thanks. That's probably in automation lane? Because on the track itself, when working in focus to clips, when clicked on the bottom half, it's changing the clip's gain. But, unfortunately, always the whole envelope regardless any selection within the clip 😭😭

EDIT: sorry I misread your post, I mean Ctrl, not Shift... didn't see any change when using shift in automation lane either

Edited by chris.r

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, chris.r said:

Thanks. That's probably in automation lane? Because on the track itself, when working in focus to clips, when clicked on the bottom half, it's changing the clip's gain. But, unfortunately, always the whole envelope regardless any selection within the clip 😭😭

EDIT: sorry I misread your post, I mean Ctrl, not Shift... didn't see any change when using shift in automation lane either

yea i tried both the clip and the lane this morning. Not sure when it changed but it does not work anymore.  I would like to see an update to lanes and automation. its tough to do any detailed work in such a small amount of space.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, chuckebaby said:

yea i tried both the clip and the lane this morning. Not sure when it changed but it does not work anymore.  I would like to see an update to lanes and automation. its tough to do any detailed work in such a small amount of space.

CTRL + drag should work, but you need to be dragging from the lower half of the clip.

The next release will have a key bindable shortcut for toggling between clip gain & clips, so watch out for the early access.... shouldn't be too much longer now.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, Will_Kaydo said:

I on the other hand find the +6db boost to be just fine for me. I never go above +4db boost, well that I can think of ever done - probably has to do with my mic placements.  

Why don't you try and cut the desired section, normalize it or gain by +6 than boost it with Automation. It's never good to boost higher than +6db, but than again - I don't know your setup and of course preferences.  What I can advice is, try to  keep it within the "humanize" spectrum, like a +3 or even +6db less than what you prefer to have set. Let the compressor with Automation on it balance things out for you with a human feel by not boosting that high?  ✌️

Film sound. When I'm working on music production, 6dB is fine. 

On fx tracks I have to muck with the gain in all sorts of extremes. And for Dialogue, on intimate scenes I may have to boost really quiet breaths to an unnatural level in order to make them sit with the scene intensity. 

I do all sorts of leveling with clip gain. 

Edited by Josh Wolfer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Josh Wolfer said:

Film sound. When I'm working on music production, 6dB is fine. 

On fx tracks I have to muck with the gain in all sorts of extremes. And for Dialogue, on intimate scenes I may have to boost really quiet breaths to an unnatural level in order to make them sit with the scene intensity. 

I do all sorts of leveling with clip gain. 

Oh -yeah! I see your frustration now.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, msmcleod said:

CTRL + drag should work, but you need to be dragging from the lower half of the clip.

Are you saying, i select a node first... then drag from the lower part of the clip while holding CTRL ?

That will allow me to make fine adjustments ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

While waiting for a change to clip gain automation try adding a gain plug-in to the clip FX rack. Although not addressing "partial" clip issues, it may offer greater gain range and more options than the regular clip gain.

The free Blue Cat Bundle includes three gain plug-ins: dual mono, and stereo. Mono and stereo have a knob w/ +- 60dB. Duel has individual knobs for left and right (or mid/side) -+ 60fB. The plug-ins may be grouped (up to 9 groups allowed).

Drag and drop the plug-in on the clip and automate as needed.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, chuckebaby said:

Are you saying, i select a node first... then drag from the lower part of the clip while holding CTRL ?

That will allow me to make fine adjustments ?

No, when you're in clips (parent track, focus to clips) even with no automation and all lanes closed, when you Ctrl+click and drag (up/down) in the bottom half of the clip itself, this is how you create the clip gain envelope (no Volume, Automated Mute, etc, just Clip Gain), it becomes visible and you can drag the whole thing up or down this way. Just need to remember to be working in the bottom half of the clip. (EDIT: unless it's something else in the envelope lanes, then idk. :))

To be able to make fine automation adjustments, as a workaround, I just maximize the track/lane height. It does help.

Edited by chris.r
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have found that I am relying more on auto track Zoom. So that almost all of the tracks are at the minimum height possible, and then the one track I'm working on scales to about one-third of the track view height. There's usually gives me plenty of visibility to make fine adjustments on clip gain. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, chuckebaby said:

Are you saying, i select a node first... then drag from the lower part of the clip while holding CTRL ?

That will allow me to make fine adjustments ?

I think we're getting our wires crossed here...

So if your filter is currently set to CLIPS, you can use CTRL + drag to adjust the overall clip gain envelope if your mouse is on the lower part of the clip.

If your filter is set to Clip Gain Automation, CTRL + click will work anywhere in the clip to adjust the overall gain.

If your filter is set to Clip Gain Automation, you can make a selection by left click dragging along the bottom of the clip and drag from the very top of the clip (without any keyboard modifiers) to adjust only that selection.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, msmcleod said:

I think we're getting our wires crossed here...

So if your filter is currently set to CLIPS, you can use CTRL + drag to adjust the overall clip gain envelope if your mouse is on the lower part of the clip.

If your filter is set to Clip Gain Automation, CTRL + click will work anywhere in the clip to adjust the overall gain.

If your filter is set to Clip Gain Automation, you can make a selection by left click dragging along the bottom of the clip and drag from the very top of the clip (without any keyboard modifiers) to adjust only that selection.

Yea slight confusion going here. kind of went a little off topic (sorry to the OP).

myself and another user are looking for a way to make fine adjustments to automation nodes..weather that be in a clip or in a lane.

Kind of like the way you can hold down SHIFT and drag a volume slider (to make smaller adjustments).

 

I love automation in Cakewalk. I love the clip and lane functions.  But in order to do detailed work you need to widen the clips vertical height. At one point we used to be able to hold SHIFT and drag a node to make fine tune adjustments. That seems no longer possible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, chris.r said:

o be able to make fine automation adjustments, as a workaround, I just maximize the track/lane height. It does help.

problem is..when your doing automation for 3 tracks at one time its kind of hard to widen a bunch of tracks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, chuckebaby said:

Yea slight confusion going here. kind of went a little off topic (sorry to the OP).

oh right, the OP was about partial clip gain editing without changing the filter... I'm afraid we'll be not given this option even though cakewalk is almost already there, that's why the new shortcut is in prepare :(:( 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...