Apple officially move MACs off of X86 to ARM.

InstrEd

47 minutes ago, Tony Carpenter said:

I feel the death of Hackinstosh is inevitable!.

It does seem that way.   Mac no more 32bit app support and they can do it and the Mac Masses will follow. Windows users not so much!

I never thought Steve Jobs was a god. I don't own an iPhone. I don't like walled gardens or Tim Cook. I don't buy Macs.

But if this is reasonably priced, as I guess it will be in the early stages to drive adoption, this will be a game changer and I will move to a Mac laptop. The only thing that will stop me is if they play stupid storage games (as in ridiculous prices for paltry amounts).

I've know ARM since I studied at Cambridge and the architecture and people are first class and Apple has invested huge amounts to customise and build upon that architecture. Intel has lost the plot, essentially because it messed up the transition to 10nm and 7nm and its performance is nothing like it should be because of its need to support legacy x86. The performance of Apple's processors is superb, as is their low power consumption. Their Apple operating system will make the most of the full capabilities of the hardware.

Imagine being able to run all those great iPad music apps directly on a laptop...

Over the last few years, I've made sure that when I buy software, I am buying a Mac and PC licence - hence the move to Studio One.

Apple does plenty of hype but this is huge. Bigger than most people realise.

Intel. Microsoft and PC manufacturers will have to innovate, change the way they operate.

@musical I do hope you’re right. I definitely feel the winds of a change. I can imagine the scramble this is going to cause at the third party plugin and VSTi makers. On top of that possibly hardware interface makers?. Not sure how low code they rely on. 

it’s going to change a lot of things I’m sure. I’ve been on this ride since the mid 80s. Watch this space :).

Tony

A basic Apple Mac pro laptop was in the 2500.00 range..over 3K for one with an i9 chip. If you want to make music with it you still need to buy Logic, Pro Tools or similar. Unless 2.5K is ok to putz around in garage band.

I paid less than 1200.00 for a gamer lap top PC. i7 two hard drives. If you want a  Pro desktop  bring somewhere in the neighborhood of 5Ks along. 

Add to this the fact that Apple comes out with something new at the expense of something you were using. Let's scrap those DVD players no one uses them any more. Who would record a CD ? Head phone jacks? Who needs those, we'll just sell you another connector so you can use the lightening power connection instead or better yet buy a set of 200.00 blue tooth ear buds.

Apple has been all about change. I remember when they adopted Intel . Now they are swinging back. At what expense?  Whatever you own now will probably be somehow obsolete or require some kind of an upgrade in the near future. If you bought a pre ARM machine right before the change you bought old tech a week before the new tech ( and payed dearly for it).  Apple took us to the 1000.00 iPhone. No thanks. True story, a friend of mine just jumped in the pool. Forgot he had his phone in his front pocket. I know, they have insurance for that. Don't forget they don't give insurance away either.

If things keep going the way they seem to be headed, I see Apple eventually being the IBM of the 2000's. I have a few ipads. Both were gifts that I use often. So far they seem to have that market cornered. Prices aren't astronomical and they deliver a good device and experience. If they start meddling with ipads though, the same thing is going to happen.

Remember Windows is also doing the ARM thing also. I think there is need for both X86 and ARM. If I was a road warrior and needed office type apps the Windows on ARM computer with 5G would be nice to have.

But for my traditional needs I still would rather have a X86 system. I thinking here what AMD has done lately and with TSMC going 5nm  the future looks bright for X86 too.  The new AMD Ryzen 4500U and 4700U chips for only 15watts laptops are really good.  Now they need to get them in some premium laptops. 

I've read articles saying the transition will be smooth, and then I think about how some companies are still releasing a new patch to support Catalina. Being able to run your DAW on an iPad Pro sounds cool, but something tells me performance will be less than that when running on your 18-core Mac Pro (or whatever its called; sorry - not a Mac user/fan).

Don't get me wrong though - it sounds like an impressive project and hope it goes well.

19 hours ago, InstrEd said:

Remember Windows is also doing the ARM thing also. I think there is need for both X86 and ARM. If I was a road warrior and needed office type apps the Windows on ARM computer with 5G would be nice to have.

But for my traditional needs I still would rather have a X86 system. I thinking here what AMD has done lately and with TSMC going 5nm  the future looks bright for X86 too.  The new AMD Ryzen 4500U and 4700U chips for only 15watts laptops are really good.  Now they need to get them in some premium laptops. 

I read about windows jumping into ARM. Didn't know the extent. Apple already made  ARM chips, so I guess it stands to reason they might go back to them for their laptops.  The argument for the "why" was they will be more efficient and have less heat. I don't believe this is the whole story behind it.