8DIO Choir Sale

cclarry

2 hours ago, Fleer said:

I think I prefer Insolidus to Silka.

Or Silka to Insolidus. 

If that helps ;)

I was just coming on to say the same thing.  There are nice things about Silka, but I kind of like Insolidus better.  And both over the others.  But Silka does sound good. 

As a note, I am a soprano. I've had some classical training before I went pop/rock.  I don't see any use for the sopranos for me. A lot of others love them. 

• Like 2

@husker my friend.   I have some questions and rthoughts, that probably won't affect your decision.  🙂

How much music are you making?   I think at the minimum people should spend at least twice as much of their free time playing or composing than shopping, researching videos, reading manuals, learning a new library, etc.  

I try to spend at least four or five times as much time making music over buying libraries.   Or at least exploring libraries I already own, like Omnisphere, which is inspiring for my writing. 

So, how much music have you been making?   Do you have stuff on your list that absolutely needs another  choir?  Music that you absolutely an't make with the choirs you already have, by layering them, etc ?   For me personally, in addition to the choirs I already own (some of which were free), I probably have over a dozen choirs within libraries like The Orchestra, Amadeus, Omnisphere, Virtuoso Ensembles, XPand! etc.  And some of these are so good that I end up using them over the ones I own.

I think we all have to ask ourselves:  Are we musicians or are we collectors?  If we are collectors that is absolutely fine.  Some people collect cars or antiques or sports memorabilia.  If you have the money and it makes you happy, buy all the choirs that are sold. If you want every library that Spitfire sells, buy it.   Have fun. 

But if you want to be a musician you have to spend a few hundred hours exploring the instruments you already own.  And playing them! 😃

I'll give you an example, recently I decided I wanted to get some Middle Eastern strings for a song I'm working on.  I had Aviram, which I like, but I wanted some phrases with sustained instruments.   Sultan Strings is very rarely on sale, but now it is half off.  And I am very interested in Findasounds' Petra Strings.  By coincidence I started working on my Middle Eastern template, because I needed to know everything I had to use in my song.  And damned if I didn't discover that there are a ton of great Middle Eastern String ensembles in NI's Discovery Middle East.  I had no idea that exactly what I was looking for was right  there.  Much more usable to me than the way Sultan Strings is set up.  If I could choose between one of the three paid products, I'd pick the one I already own. 

Sorry if this sounds preachy, but there are recent issues in my life and I suddenly have to think a lot more about money than I have before.  I'm still looking  for deals, of course.  🐸

FYI the Studio Sopranos isn't exactly a choir.  It is three sets of three singers.  You can combine them into a choir, if you consider 9 sopranos a choir, which I don't.   I mainly use them three at a time, which I find a great thing to combine with a soloist. 

The Studio Sopranos one of the very few purchases I've made from 8dio that I don't regret .  It's one-of-a-kind and has a great sound and a beautiful legato.   I regret the many micro-purchases from $8 to $98 to whatever that I made when I was juiced up by a sale.  GAS.   They all add up to a bunch of stuff sitting on my hard drive that I never use.  Spending all this $$ in a steady trickle makes it  hard for me to lay out the big money  for something else with a big price tag that I'd use every day. 

It was super hard for me to talking myself into buying Genesis, but that thing is a work of art.   I don't think I will ever buy another choir.  I have more choirs than I need and I have one choir that is like the Cinematic Studio Strings of choirs. The ultimate.   It is half price, now, by the way.   

Reid

Edited by Reid Rosefelt
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

When I think of all the "free" stuff I've downloaded over the years, I know that some of these libraries were a lot of gigabytes.  So I wonder if I had to buy an SSD just to house them.  And they were a lot more expensive in those days.  "Free" is only $100 a TB nowadays. 😃

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Reid Rosefelt said:

When I think of all the "free" stuff I've downloaded over the years, I know that some of these libraries were a lot of gigabytes.  So I wonder if I had to buy an SSD just to house them.  And they were a lot more expensive in those days.  "Free" is only $100 a TB nowadays. 😃

And why I have the majority of my stuff still on spinning drives.  Only the "good" libraries that I use and really need SSD to run make it to the SSD drives.   Though it is getting harder to find 7200 RPM drives over 2 TB.  Though every time I see a really good sale on an SSD, I try to pick one up.

I do get what you are saying.  I was a lot more picky when I had money problems.  I don't think you should be going crazy buying when you have to decide between a library and eating.  Or paying your electric bill.  Contributing to an IRA or 401K is also important.  But if it is between a library and taking peanut butter sandwiches to work instead of eating lunch out?  Or hitting Starbucks twice a day for a $4 latte?  That's okay.  You choose your priorities.  But Reid is right.  Buying a lot but never using them doesn't really make sense.  I usually have a monthly experiment going.  I try to use libraries I don't normally use.  Most of my experiments never get finished because the libraries don't quite mesh or I am still learning how to write music.  But I do have fun and learn things.  And? If you really have GAS? There are a lot of free, but good, libraries out there. 

But? If you have the money and it sounds good?  Go for it!  8Dio does do good choir libraries.   But they can be limited, so make sure it is what you want. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Reid Rosefelt said:

I'll still come here 400 times a day.   🐸  

I use to have that problem.  But with a sense of firm resolve, sheer determination and a clear lack of establishing priorities I've managed to cut that number down to 350.

• Haha 2