CbL keeps disabling my sound (?output)

LNovik@aol.com

Question

I've been working on 1 project for awhile. I've changed outputs on different tracks.  I have started with a third party  midi file that says something like, "allow Cakewalk to send programs at beginning of song"--or something like that. I realize now I should have disabled that, but the  message no longer comes up.

My problem is I can't get any  sound from my synth when I  try to play live on  a midi track. The settings are to all inpts omni, and the output is set to the 4th channel of my MIDI sport4x4. The MIDI channel is also channel 4, since that is what the synth that I am trying to play is set to.

However, once the song is playing, if I simply click on the track output field and choose output 3 on  my midi sport 4x4, and then immediately again choose 4, I will then hear sound. The problem is I keep losing sound thruout the recording, since it wasn't all recorded at once. Is there any way to set the ouput and have it ignore messages to  change to something else? I did try to insert a bank/patch change, but that doesn't fix the problem.

Hope that's clear.

LNovik 

9 answers to this question

Let me put this simpler. I’m sorry if my question was too wordy or complicated.

I have configured a track correctly. However, I don’t hear sound from my hard synth. The only way I  can get sound is if I first press, “Play”—and then, as the  timeline bar is moving, I first switch to another MIDI channel on my output—and immediately change again to the channel I originally had. However, when I then stop, and then restart, I am again without any sound being transmitted to my synth.

I had done some copying of tracks, so I realize I must have inadvertently copied some MIDI assignment changes. Thus, I just need to know how to disable these transmitted messages.

Thanks.

LNovik

I'm highlighting the track I'm working on. I go up to Views, to look for event list view and/or sysx view.

Neither is listed under "views." Perhaps there is a way to get a longer list. I do have about 10 items listed, but neither of these.  Is it the same as Matrix or Piano roll? 

I then tried  alt 8, and again nothing happened. I right clicked inside the track, chose "view," but only got about 5 items, and no sign of it.   I am using Cakewalk by Bandlab.

After I send this, I'll look  elsewhere for how to locate the event list view.

LNovik

Thanks again, Scook. I was able to add each of these views. That's the good  news. Knowing how to understand all the abbreviations and data in front of me when I  pulled in these views is another thing. I should say that when i first realized I couldn't get the sound on my chosen hard synth to play, I INSERTED a program/bank change at the beginning of the song. I CAN see the name of this program change early on in the Event list. However, I can see no further patch names in my very long event list for that track.

I can also say that I did record that track in multiple takes, meaning a few measures here, followed by another few measures next. So, it appears, at least to me, that although it is recognizing the inserted program change at the beginning, it keeps reverting to the initial settings of the track. Those are the things I would like to delete, or at least have Cakewalk ignore for the time being. Perhaps one can glimmer something from the Sysex file, but I certainly couldn't.  

I guess I could try to re-record the  whole track, though I am afraid the same thing might occur. I should add that when I look at each clip within this track, I see most of them are labeled (at the top of each clip) as something like "English Horn." I tried to right click, etc on these areas to try to change them, but nothing came up to make such a change.

Thanks again for your time.

I should add that I have flirted with the idea of paying for support, such as paying someone with a good fund of knowledge of Cakewalk to do a video visit with me while I hold the phone facing the computer screen.  If another comment or two on  this thread doesn't get me what I need, I'm wondering if you or anyone else knows if that is avail and who might be doing this.   I have looked on the app, MeetHook, which puts people in video contact for music lessons and DAW support. I didn't see anyone who said he/she was a specific resource for the Cakewalk platform.

LNovik

I should add to the last note: it's not that Cakewalk keeps changing a bank or patch. I keep getting no sound, both when I try to play something after I've chosen that track and when I try to play my song thru CAKEWALK.  THus, I think the problem is that Cakewalk is sending a channel change and not a bank/patch change. My synth doesn't play then since it's set to another channel.  My guess is that it's picking the channel of a different synth. That is not playing either, because it's MIDI IN port is occupied by the output from my MIDI keyboard controller keytar, a Vortex. I will, ASAP tonite, remove the MIDI IN coming from that Vortex, and replace it with a MIDI cable from the MIDI out from my MIDI Sport 4x4 MIDI interface. My guess is it will play from there, since it was recorded from there. However, I don't like the sound there as much as the one I have been trying to route it to.

Hope that's clear.

LNovik

I figured I'd share this before anybody else spends any more time trying to figure out this latest problem of mine.

I just saw last nite that I believe I know why my track keeps going silent when I am playing. I believe it's because there is another track higher on the screen (ie, prob about  track 7 instead of the track 19 I've been working with. ) Last nite when I changed the MIDI channels on that other track (7), so that the track I've been having prob's with is now the only track with those track specific assignments, the problem ceased to exist.

Thanks to Scook and others who pointed me in the right direction. I still would like to know if there are people out there who do or would consider video chats for a fee.

LNovik

I guess I am the only  one "replying" to this thread. I realize it had seemed finish, but there's more. Seems like making sure that only 1 track in my project had the same MIDI assignments did NOT work as I thought it finally had. However, if anyone is interested, I have at least synthesized--so to speak-the exact nature of the problem, or so I think.

When I recently make one of the current tracks I'm working with the only track with those MIDI assignments, this process only worked in 1 but not both of the following. I had made a dummy track, where I just played random notes for about 1-2 minutes.  WHen I then inserted a program/bank change at the beginning of that track, I would be able to have it played back with the correct sound all the way thru.

However, when I did the same for the  MIDI track I had previously recorded,  laying down only one to two phrases a a time,  the sound would only play for that phrase, but then go silent when the timeline got to the next phrase. 

Thus, something in this program--but not, I believe, anything I see on the Event view,  keeps resetting my  track to another setting, thereby resulting in no sound being played.  Again, this is just on the track recorded in small chunks.

I'd be interested, and it might be instructional to others, to know how I  could cancel out these signals. I guess on the SysEx View, but, if so, I guess it would be too complicated.

For now, I'll just have to try to record the whole track in 1  take. 

LNovik