If S.L.I.P. passes before me...

Bapu

2 hours ago, Bapu said:

And before Paulo goes off on that. it was my wife's advance desire to give our first male and female children (if that is what we were blessed with) our names as middle names

Could have been worse Stanley. Apparently, if my mother had gotten her way I would have been called Nigel. I'm forever grateful that she was overruled.

3 hours ago, paulo said:

Could have been worse Stanley. Apparently, if my mother had gotten her way I would have been called Nigel. I'm forever grateful that she was overruled.

That was my grandfather's name (father's Side). Well, actually it was Stanislav as given to him by his immigrant Polish parents. But it quickly became Stanley at an early age.

My first name was my mother's fathers name. He worked at DuPont in Chicago and all his friends called him Eddie DuPont. That was life in the 40s and 50s. Street cred names based on where you worked.

11 hours ago, paulo said:

Then you'd want to go by the name Wibbles and it would be all downhill from there! 😆

12 hours ago, Bapu said:

That was my grandfather's name (father's Side). Well, actually it was Stanislav as given to him by his immigrant Polish parents. But it quickly became Stanley at an early age.

My first name was my mother's fathers name. He worked at DuPont in Chicago and all his friends called him Eddie DuPont. That was life in the 40s and 50s. Street cred names based on where you worked.

I once met a beautiful Polish girl. She was in a room at a party and I couldn't stop looking at her, so although I was normally very shy in the presence of such beauty, I just had to ask her name. She said it was Carmen. I said that it was a beautiful name and asked what her last name was. She said that she didn't have one. She abandoned her given name as most people couldn't say it properly, let alone spell it and besides which  she didn't really like it herself, so she changed it and now she is just Carmen, chosen because those are the things that she liked most of all......cars and men. 

"What is your name?" she asked.....

I said "I'm so pleased to meet you Carmen. My name is Charlie Beertits"

• Great Idea 1