Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
noynekker

Old Friends

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Another idea I've been working on . . . just singing and playing acoustic guitar, then I hear the orchestra in my head . . . well, there goes the neighbourhood, had to add some strings, (since I can't afford the real orchestra, though, the samples are the expensive ones) . . . anyways, I'm not sure how to mix this any different, so I welcome any insights you may hear on your speakers ?

 

 

Edited by noynekker
re-upload link
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

gave me goosebumps.  I really like your voice.  There's a sweet innocence in your voice.  Reminds me of the teen idols from the 70s like david cassidy etc.  Good job on the song.

Edited by David Sprouse

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks David for listening . . . goosebumps are cool . . . but David Cassidy, yikes . . . a good laugh, I'm a long way from teen idol . . . but I do remember the Monkees, Lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great voice!!!

It starts with a guitar note right when you hit the play button, maybe add a little space.

 

In the intro the acoustic arpegg guitar has a little too much upper eq bite to it, but it seems fine in the main body of the song.

 

The toms that announce the snare - they are kind of tubby toms, almost tympanic . . . very up front toms - but the snare is a bit muffled, the kick is barely there. I'd say your main mixing issue might be the drums.

 

I'd also get more reverb on the strings so you can't hear the stops.

 

 

Look this seems like a crit list, but it's a very cool song, I like the parts, the vocal is really great as well. What a fun project!!!

 

cheers,

-Tom

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tom's suggestions are spot on!
There's one note on that acoustic that "buzzes", and I hear it pretty much throughout the song.
The eq is probably exacerbating it, but sounds like a setup issue to me (low nut or high fret).
Is the acoustic miced or direct to the board? Could be an issue there; resonance or piezo?

Love the tune, fine vocal. David Cassidy? I don't think you have any worries there... 😉

👍

t
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really like this one. Very good melody and lyrics. I think you could raise
the voc a few db to bring it out more and that's about the only suggestion I can make.
Overall, a very enjoyable listen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, emeraldsoul said:

Great voice!!!

It starts with a guitar note right when you hit the play button, maybe add a little space.

 

In the intro the acoustic arpegg guitar has a little too much upper eq bite to it, but it seems fine in the main body of the song.

 

The toms that announce the snare - they are kind of tubby toms, almost tympanic . . . very up front toms - but the snare is a bit muffled, the kick is barely there. I'd say your main mixing issue might be the drums.

 

I'd also get more reverb on the strings so you can't hear the stops.

 

 

Look this seems like a crit list, but it's a very cool song, I like the parts, the vocal is really great as well. What a fun project!!!

 

cheers,

-Tom

Thanks Tom . . . always insightful and helpful comments. Yes the toms are tubby, it's true, I was trying to get more what an orchestra percussionist would do, but I guess since it's a pop song I should try my acoustic kit on this. I'm going to try all your suggestions , because they are great ones !

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, DeeringAmps said:

Tom's suggestions are spot on!
There's one note on that acoustic that "buzzes", and I hear it pretty much throughout the song.
The eq is probably exacerbating it, but sounds like a setup issue to me (low nut or high fret).
Is the acoustic miced or direct to the board? Could be an issue there; resonance or piezo?

Love the tune, fine vocal. David Cassidy? I don't think you have any worries there... 😉

👍

t
 

Mr DeeringAmps . . . once again thanks for your helpful listen, you certainly listen a lot closer than I do to the recording of things. This is an old beat up Yamaki Western acoustic guitar, the buzzing you hear is probably because I have never had the frets done on it. I hear it now that you mention it. It was done with two mics, a unidirectional right close to the sound hole, and an omnidirectional behind my shoulder . . . but I had to EQ back in a ton of 100 hz because it just needed to be there to sound right to me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, bjornpdx said:

I really like this one. Very good melody and lyrics. I think you could raise
the voc a few db to bring it out more and that's about the only suggestion I can make.
Overall, a very enjoyable listen.

Thanks for listening again Bjorn . . . well yes, if someone else was mixing they would probably turn up the vocal more . . . but when I mix it, I never want it too up front, so that's always been a problem mixing my own stuff, thanks for the tip about that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow man, this is really good! You have an excellent voice! Loved the guitar, orchestra, everything.  The only thing I would do different is bring some air to the drums. They kinda sound muffled. And I would put some bass guitar in there. But I loved this from beginning to end. Great song!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Leadfoot said:

Wow man, this is really good! You have an excellent voice! Loved the guitar, orchestra, everything.  The only thing I would do different is bring some air to the drums. They kinda sound muffled. And I would put some bass guitar in there. But I loved this from beginning to end. Great song!

Thank you Leadfoot for your listening and comments . . . I've had some great input for ideas and mix tips from the song forum here (including yours), so I've posted an updated mix of this project, still a work in progress.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What a cool song.  The acoustic sounded like it was right in front of me, and your voice is stellar.  I would personally like to hear it a tad warmer, like a couple of db's in the 300 - 440 hz range, but not much.  All in all, this is one that I'll listen to again for fun.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Well, another updated mix for this song is uploaded tonight . . . thanks to all the forum members for offering their ideas . . . and I must especially thank emeraldsoul (from this forum) who collaborated an amazing piano addition into this project. Wow, didn't see that coming, and think it adds something special to my effort.

Still, maybe needs some more mixing ?

 

 

Edited by noynekker
re-upload link

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Really enjoyed listening to this song.. Straightforward, nice guitar part, your voice is easy on the ears!

Jerry

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you Jerry . . . I've heard your stuff here as well and always a good listen !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I enjoyed your lead vocal - you should be in Nashville😊 I agree with a comment above that this could use a bass line. Besides that, the mix sounds quite good to my ears.

Good song - well done.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Douglas Kirby said:

I enjoyed your lead vocal - you should be in Nashville😊 I agree with a comment above that this could use a bass line. Besides that, the mix sounds quite good to my ears.

Good song - well done.

Hi Douglas, thanks again for taking some time to listen and comment . . . don’t think I have enough twang to do Nashville :)

Regarding adding bass guitar to this project, well, I have tried a few times, but I keep losing the guitar in the mix whenever I add bass guitar . . . there’s too much going on already at 100 hz already . . . if I add a sub bass it ruins the chamber music vibe, not sure how to add bass, other than trying to just duplicate the kick ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What Tom and tom said on the mix, but I really like your vocals - you have a great voice

Nigel

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice track, did wonder if it was going to be a cover of Simon and Garfunkel's Old Friends

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...