Upgrading to Melodyne 5

msmcleod

I thought I'd post this here in a new topic, so it's a bit more visible than the other Melodyne threads.

I've just upgraded Melodyne to version 5.  It merged my two existing Melodyne 4 licenses into a single license (which was great, 'cos I only got charged once 😊 ), and it automatically moved 2 x Melodyne 5 licenses to my iLok account.

The upgrade was seamless on my Windows 10 boot, and worked in CbB right away (I didn't even need to re-scan).

However there are some gotchas...

1. Melodyne 5 does NOT work on Windows 7 - if you're planning to stay on Windows 7, don't upgrade.
  2. Your Melodyne 4 installation AND your Melodyne 4 licenses will be removed - and actually, your v4 licenses become invalid at the point you purchase your upgrade 
  3. Melodyne 5 is 64 bit only. So if (for example) you use an older 32 bit only version of SoundForge, it's not going to work with Melodyne any more.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 7

I'm running the V5 trial right now (Studio 4 user) and find the only way to play the "Region" is
to double click in the "region". That's fine while editing notes, levels, etc. But I get no playback
of the selected vocal (in this case) and the rest of the track.

This can't be "expected" behavior?

Win 10 Home (up to date) and EA1

tom

It disabled mine that came with the Bandlab installation. Luckily I always make a restore point before doing any updates. Unfortunately, I have never owned a copy of melodyne before until the integrated version with cakewalk. So I dont know how this works. 

Maybe I should look into buying a copy - studio maybe? I'm just comfortable with Wavetunes and Antares. I've used melodyne primarily on lip edits. Never done drums,  keyboard, guitars, strings etc. on it. I should be ashamed of myself not knowing melodyne that good. 😞

10 hours ago, msmcleod said:

I've just upgraded Melodyne to version 5.  It merged my two existing Melodyne 4 licenses into a single license (which was great, 'cos I only got charged once 😊 ), and it automatically moved 2 x Melodyne 5 licenses to my iLok account.

What does "merge two licenses" mean?
Two licenses will be upgraded with one serial for upgrade?

53 minutes ago, HIBI said:

What does "merge two licenses" mean?
Two licenses will be upgraded with one serial for upgrade?

Yeah, I had 2 separate licenses. When I went for the upgrade, it said it would merge both my existing licenses to a single license (with a limit of up to 5 activations), for the price of a SINGLE upgrade from Editor v4 to Editor v5.

So yes, two v4 licenses upgraded to one v5 serial number.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, msmcleod said:

Yeah, I had 2 separate licenses. When I went for the upgrade, it said it would merge both my existing licenses to a single license (with a limit of up to 5 activations), for the price of a SINGLE upgrade from Editor v4 to Editor v5.

So yes, two v4 licenses upgraded to one v5 serial number.

Thanks for the info.
FYI: This is the case with "editor" or "studio" serials only. (Celemony support said)

• Thanks 1

I upgraded to Melodyne 5 yesterday (from Melodyne 4 Studio). The upgrade cost $149 AM and went flawlessly. (I don't use iLok). And yes, my Melodyne 4 was completely removed with the upgrade. Celemony says Melodyne 5 is backward-compatible and it does seem to be.

I've had a chance to use it a bit. The sibilant handling is great and the dynamic fade capability (which was a long time coming, and one of Melodyne's big shortcomings)) is very welcome. Those were the two main reasons why I upgraded. The leveling macro looks good too and I can see it being useful. It will probably allow less reliance on a vocal follower.

What I also like is the new algorithm that no longer relies on the average pitch of a note, but instead operates on the 'sweet spot' or the 'best pitched' section of the note. The theory is that certain parts of a note that are technically 'off pitch' do not need correction and are not perceived as a problem by the listener, but rather an essential part of the performance.

So far, I give it a big thumbs up. However don't expect Celemony's slick video on chord manipulation (if you're using Editor or Studio)  to go quite as smoothly as they portray. While it's a bit of a miracle what can be done with the polyphonic stuff, it's tricky to use. At least, I've found it to be. But then, I haven't used the polyphonic features all that much, even in Melodyne 4.

• Like 3

On 5/30/2020 at 7:30 AM, msmcleod said:

1. Melodyne 5 does NOT work on Windows 7 - if you're planning to stay on Windows 7, don't upgrade.

Well I can verify that V5 will not work on Win 7.   I did not think about it and just updated.   No Go!

Fortunately I always have the original install files backed up and I just reinstalled the last version.

I was actually just searching to verify if anyone else would have run into a problem installing on win 7  . . . .  I guess I got my answer . . .   Win 10 . . .   Hmm, one day.

Syphus

I remember up to Melodyne 4 there was clear table with versions comparison. I can not find it for 5.

I mean they want more for Studio -> Studio then for Editor -> Editor, while I have not found  "Studio only" marks in changes. Sure, I can just demo and check myself...

EDIT: the table is still there, in "What can Melodyne do?" So all "New" features are in Assistant

Edited by azslow3

On 5/30/2020 at 4:30 AM, msmcleod said:

1. Your Melodyne 4 installation AND your Melodyne 4 licenses will be removed - and actually, your v4 licenses become invalid at the point you purchase your upgrade 
  2. Melodyne 5 is 64 bit only. So if (for example) you use an older 32 bit only version of SoundForge, it's not going to work with Melodyne any more.

Uh...so...

My hope was that the 32 bit v4 might continue to work since v5 is 64 bit only.  I have a considerable pile of projects that I haven't pulled into 64 bit land (and continue to use older SONAR versions for).  So...they shoot the 32 bit version in the head too?

5 minutes ago, David Lentz said:

It's $49 now.

Where? On the Celemony site upgrading to 5 Editor from any previous version is $99 US. I just checked again since I'm waiting for the usual sale that comes out a while after a release, but it seems a little early for that.

We're you thinking of Essentials?

1 hour ago, razor7music said:

Where? On the Celemony site upgrading to 5 Editor from any previous version is $99 US. I just checked again since I'm waiting for the usual sale that comes out a while after a release, but it seems a little early for that.

We're you thinking of Essentials?

Not essentials. I have Assistant. When I used Melodyne tonight a window popped up saying I can upgrade to 5 for $49.

6 hours ago, razor7music said:

So, Editor 5 still $99

Yup... and Studio €150. While all changes are on Assistant  "level". Version 4 had good cross-grate sales, while quite some features for Studio. Version 5 has  no new editor/studio features  and no sales. Better voice processing is a good thing, but too expensive for noobs like me (just because I like multi-track, so upgraded to Studio before).

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hey everyone,

I'm relatively new to the whole Melodyne/Cakewalk scene and I'm having a problem after upgrading from Melodyne 2 to Melodyne 5 (Essentials).

As we all know, when using Cakewalk, to use Melodyne editor on any audio you right click->Region FX->Melodyne->Create Region FX and wait for it to do its business and then you can start editing the selected audio. So I purchased and installed Melodyne 5 Essentials, opened Cakewalk, opened an existing project and double-clicked on the audio I had previously edited (w/ Melodyne) to open the Melodyne editor and considering I just bought and installed Melodyne 5 I assumed the editor would automatically use the updated version 5 but instead it's still using the old version. 

I've uninstalled and reinstalled Melodyne 5 twice now with no results and I can't find a VST3 plugin anywhere to put in Cakewalk's VST3 folder nor can I find ANY solution ANYWHERE in ANY help/support/forum/user manual etc, let alone ANYONE who's had the same problem and I'm frustrated to the point where I'm just about ready to say f*** it but I paid practically $100 for this crap and I would like to be able to use what I paid for! 

Please pardon the fancy language but I'm at my wits end and $100 is a lot of money to pay for some s*** I can't even use!

I just don't get why Cakewalk is still using v. 2  for Region FX when I just installed v. 5.

Makes absolutely no sense to me.

Please help! 😖

Thanks a bunch! 💖

-A Hella Frustrated Musician 🤬😭