Drum Map Weirdness

I watched a drum map tutorial on YouTube to get started, but I'm seeing some issues with the drum map and am hoping for clarification or links to other topics to help. 

1. Setting up a drum map to remap GM drum sounds using CW with Superior Drummer 3 . I have two instances of SD3, using the Avatar kit in one instance, and the Latin Percussion kit in the other. I then use the Drum Map to split the sounds from a GM confirmation into the right mappings in each instance of SD3. However, there are some notes that are not playing correctly (e.g. either to the wrong instance, or the wrong note) and I can't figure out why. I'm wondering if it has something to do with mapping across multiple VST's. 

2. I can't for the life of me figure out, once I've created a drum map, on how to save it and be able to reuse it (maybe even make it a default for certain things). 

Any help would be appreciated  

pg 752 of the Reference manual.  See the little "floppy disk" icon. That saves your drum map preset. You can also create a new one a the top and it should save it in the list of drum maps so you can select it in the MIDI track.

On thing to note. There is not standard on what midi number represents middle C. Therefore, some instruments will be off by an octave.  This might be one of your issue with the wrong notes. For the wrong instance all I can say is check the out port or the midi channel.

Have not used a drum map to drive multiple synths except for some basic testing which worked OK. In practice I always use one instrument/MIDI track per plug-in instance.

I do see where SD3 can use instruments from multiple kits in one instance using the Add Instrument option on the Drums tab of the SD3 UI. Have not experimented with it though.

As noted above to save a drum map preset supply a name in entry field "E" and click the floppy disk icon immediately to the right of the entry field

DrumEditor.04.1.png

For more info on drum maps see http://www.cakewalk.com/Documentation?product=Cakewalk&language=3&help=DrumEditor.03.html

I see what my problem was with the naming (Noel can probably name many more problems that I have, but I can't type that long).... I didn't have a name in the field so the icon was disabled. 

I'll experiment more with drum maps using multiple plug ins. I know I can do some of this in SD3, but I'm trying to avoid: 

1. Having a whole bunch of SD3 presets that I have to manage when I can do a decent job with two and a drum map. 

2. I don't want to chop up the MIDI drum tracks into multiple tracks for two reasons: 

a. They are harder to manage

b. The General MIDI drums / percussion notes are not really contiguous, so it's prone to error and sometimes dangerous. 

A quick note on why I'm doing this: For years I've wanted to build backing tracks for (jazz) wine bar gigs, but have always been way too busy. I find many of the GM files out there to be lacking, while there are some absolute gems. Having a GM drum mapping to better sounds is something that should save me time in the long run... 

Routing notes to different physical or virtual ports should not be a probem; I have done it frequently in the past.  Just make sure you're routing the right 'Out Notes' to the right ports with the correct re-mapping from 'In Note' to ' Out Note',  keeping in mind the non-standardization of octave numbering as reginaldStjohn noted.