Roland Studio Capture to record individual drum mics

Hi everyone -

I am fairly new to using Cakewalk and have a question around setting-up my Roland Studio-Capture. I use the Roland to drive my drum mics and currently have 7-mics plus 2-overheads each being fed into the Roland unit. I am using USB to hook up the Roland unit to Cakewalk via my laptop. I want to record each mic on a separate track so i can manage EQ and possibly effects based on individual drum needs but can't figure out how to configure Cakewalk to do this. The closest I can get is assigning a stereo pair from the Roland to a track in Cakewalk (e.g. mic's 1&2, mic's 3&4, mic's 5&6, etc...) but not individual mic's to a track (mic 1 or 2 or 3 or 4...).  I've pasted a screen-shot of what this looks like below...

So this could be a newbie question; but does anyone know how to split these pairs up? I've searched the Roland documentation and can't figure it out. I'm not sure if it would need to be done on the Roland unit, or in Cakewalk, or (hoping not) if it's not possible period.

Thanks in advance for any help with this! 

Ray

image.thumb.png.ec2c9297cdad9223a984386e5c0de86f.png

Windows presents the driver as pairs of channels but the DAW can record each channel separately on mono tracks by using the left and right side.

Use the "Left" for the odd number channels and "Even" for the even numbered channels of the interface

IOW -

Left 1-2 uses channel 1 of the interface

Right 1-2 uses channel 2 of the interface

Stereo 1-2 uses both channels of the interface with 1 on the left side and 2 on the right

Left 3-4 uses channel 3 of the interface

Right 3-4 uses channel 4 of the interface

Stereo 3-4 uses both channels of the interface with 3 on the left side and 4 on the right

Left 15 - 16 uses channel 15 of the interface

Right 15 - 16 uses channel 16 of the interface

Stereo 15 - 16 uses both channels of the interface with 15 on the left side and 16 on the right

• Like 1

Thanks scook ... that makes sense for sure!

If I assign the tracks the way you suggest, will the panning I've setup in the Studio-Capture be lost once I receord; ie. would the panning be hard left on track 1 and hard right on track 2 when recorded and I would have to redo the panning in Cakewalk?

Left 1-2 and Right 1-2 are just names for the input channels 1 and channel 2 on two mono tracks. The DAW will record what ever signal is arriving at the its inputs. By default, mono tracks in the DAW are panned to center. To alter this use the track pan controls in the DAW.

IOW, mono inputs whether they are on the interface or in the DAW are only panned after the signal is received.