Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Vernon Barnes

Yikes! Sample Drive IO errors

Recommended Posts

Just what you need in lock-down. I went to open a project earlier and it failed. Problems accessing one of my sample drives. I tried to open folders and just got IO errors. After rebooting the computer all seems OK. Everything should be backed up apart from Komplete 12 for which i have the install discs and some of the more recent libraries I purchased. I have the downloads on another disc.

Never the less I have cleared enough space on an external drive to create a new disc image, which I will attempt later as it will save a lot of time if the disc need replacing. I am debating if I should order a replacement disc now or wait until there is a total failure. Lock-down makes everything more complicated.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had a drive I thought was going bad with tons of IO errors until it looked like the drive failed.   This was a Samsung SSD.  Samsung replaced the drive and within a couple weeks I was getting the same errors.  This was on SATA port 3.  Then I had another drive that started doing the same thing on Port 4.  I put the drives in an external drive bay and there was nothing wrong with them.  Ended up that ports 3 & 4 were bad on my motherboard.  Replaced the motherboard and they have been fine since then.  It was about 3 years ago when I replaced the board.  My son is using the old motherboard but not using those 2 ports and hasn't had any issues since then.

Jim

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Given the age of the computer, at least 6 years any serious issues and I would consider a replacement but I don't want to do that just yet. 

The good news is the disc image completed without problems and everything is working ok for now.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have one simple rule about non-SSD drives.

I replace them (disc to disc copy) sometime between 3 and  4 years religiously.

I'm not sure about SSDs yet, but I do daily backups of my  C:/ drive.

I use Carbonite for my projects drive. I'd like to use Carbonite for my Samples drive but it's 8TB (with just over 6TB used).

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

6 minutes ago, Bapu said:

I have one simple rule about non-SSD drives.

I replace them (disc to disc copy) sometime between 3 and  4 years religiously.

 

 

You mean that you pray it works?? 🙂

Every HDD in the world will fail. 

It's just a question of when.  

I have found it is usually within 48 hours of a deadline.

I use a Nimble Storage SAN that has 12 HHDs with a triple parity RAID scheme for rebuild times measured in minutes, not days with the 3 TB drives in the device + 4 SSDs for an adaptive read cache, NVDIMMs for write cache, built in snapshots for immediate backups every hour,  dual controllers, and replication to a second device located elsewhere in the world...all in 3 RU.  It doesn't just drive the DAW - its the central repository for the Software, Video and very large still photography asset library and holds the VMs for the VMWare system. 

Then again, my day job is in very large scale data storage so I had connections to get the devices at a significant price break...but you can find older ones on eBay for less than the price of an Alembic Series 1...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/16/2020 at 8:47 AM, Vernon Barnes said:

Just what you need in lock-down. I went to open a project earlier and it failed. Problems accessing one of my sample drives. I tried to open folders and just got IO errors. After rebooting the computer all seems OK. Everything should be backed up apart from Komplete 12 for which i have the install discs and some of the more recent libraries I purchased. I have the downloads on another disc.

Never the less I have cleared enough space on an external drive to create a new disc image, which I will attempt later as it will save a lot of time if the disc need replacing. I am debating if I should order a replacement disc now or wait until there is a total failure. Lock-down makes everything more complicated.

   When they get worse other issues start to happen like locking up the system and delaying start up time.  It seems plenty of drives these days elude SMART.

On 5/16/2020 at 8:47 AM, Vernon Barnes said:

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

IO errors that come and go can well indicate problems with the physical connection of the drive. Dirty connectors and the like can work or not depending on the temperature, vibration or the whims of the gods. It is certainly worth cleaning and re-seating the drive data and power connectors, and maybe switching which connectors you use. You can try to find out if there are logical errors using chkdsk, or surface errors using some third party utilities or the disk diagnostic software available for download from the drive manufacturer, but if you continue to have doubts it might be time to convert the disk to a backup disk for non-critical data and order a new drive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Bapu said:

I have one simple rule about non-SSD drives.

I replace them (disc to disc copy) sometime between 3 and  4 years religiously.

I'm not sure about SSDs yet, but I do daily backups of my  C:/ drive.

I use Carbonite for my projects drive. I'd like to use Carbonite for my Samples drive but it's 8TB (with just over 6TB used).

 

I've got Carbonite too, but mine backs up all drives connected to the computer, so I have over 9 TB backed up.  Do you have a limited plan?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, StudioNSFW said:

 

 

🙂

but you can find older ones on eBay for less than the price of an Alembic Series 1...

 

Cool, I paid $1000 for  my 1976 Alembic Series 1 (virtually new in 1976).

 

So what year $ are we talking?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, craigb said:

I've got Carbonite too, but mine backs up all drives connected to the computer, so I have over 9 TB backed up.  Do you have a limited plan?

I'm pretty sure I don't have a limited plan. I'll have to check on that.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Bapu said:

Cool, I paid $1000 for  my 1976 Alembic Series 1 (virtually new in 1976).

 

So what year $ are we talking?

2020 dollars...proving once again that gear outside the box goes up in value...but gear inside the box just gets old...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One of the programs I use is Hard Disk Sentinel - its active and monitoring when I switch on my computer and gives advance warning when any disc starts to go wrong - i have found it pretty accurate

https://www.hdsentinel.com/

Nigel

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the comments and suggestions.

I have run the Western Digital Lifeguard quick diagnostics and the drive passes. I am now running the advanced diagnostics which is going to take the best part of three hours.

The sister drive failed and was replaced last year. I am considering options, one is to replace the potentially problematic 2TB drive with a 4TB drive. WD 7200 drives of this size seem very expensive, Toshiba seem better value for money but I need to do more research. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...