Issue With Groove Clipping in Odd Time Signatures

Xechno PSI

Question

Hi, I'm new to Cakewalk and I was trying to make a drum loop in 9/8. However, whenever I set that region to Groove Clipping, it changing it to fit 4/4. My question is, how do you make it so groove clipping doesn't affect the actual clip?

3 answers to this question

Maybe I don't quite understand how you are doing things.. But Groove is assigned to a clip not a region in the timeline. You select a clip and make it a groove clip. Then it will follow timing adjustments in the timeline.

If you want to make a drum loop in 9/8 then make a meter change in the timeline, add a clip to that location and in the inspector mark that audio clip as a groove clip. If you have put many audio clips/samples together to make your 9/8 loop then bounce them to a single clip before doing these steps. I don't think the clips know about meter only tempo.

Sorry for the confusion. What exactly happened was I had a region with midi in it, and it was a drum loop in 9/8. I already set the metronome to 9/8 and qunatized  all the midi notes to that time. i wanted to repeat this so I enabled Groove Clip Looping on it, and it changed the midi note arrangements.  All I want to do is reapeat the region exactly the way it was before

Edited by Xechno PSI

Make the clip to groove a whole multiple of 1/4.  For example, when I create a 7/8 groove clip, I make the clip two bars long.

I have also had to remove notes from the clip *after* enabling groove-clipping and before stretching it out, in cases where I have a 1/8  rest at the end of the 7/8 bar... that probably doesn't make any sense but if you experiment with a sequence of 7 1/8 notes, in two bars, then groove-clip it, then remove notes, then stretch-fill, you'll see what I mean.

Edited by Colin Nicholls