I need some advice using External Insert with Outboard Effects please

synkrotron

I think the external insert is cool if you want to move the position around within an array of other plugins. When you're really looping back the track, it works just the same (at least based on what I did in the video). In other words, the latency compensation for a round trip, sending out and returning back in to the interface works the same as the external insert for all intents and purposes.

The external insert can be moved around within the FX Bin. It's just another way to skin the cat. It's not the only way.

The null test is a useful thing conceptually to make sure you have optimally aligned your track but MAutoAlign can help with that too. In my video it detected a one sample difference in one of the recorded pairs.

The bounce to tracks feature will notice the presence of the external effect and prevent you from doing a fast bounce when you are using it. This is kinda helpful.

If you intend to record the output of your external effect, I think it matters a lot less and might be barely worth the trouble.

8 hours ago, Klaus said:

You don't need an External Insert if you want to process real time audio with hardware effects, just record the output of your hardware.

The External Insert plug-in is needed/handy if you play audio from your DAW through an external hardware device and record the outcome, because it cares about the latency which is introduced by the additional DA - AD conversion of your audio interface.

Recording a hardware synth driven via MIDI tracks from a DAW also doesn't need the External Insert plug-in but you may have to adjust a possible offset in Preferences > Sync and Caching or manually by shifting notes.

I've used both methods and I don't really have a preference. It's not really a big deal.

The timing offset never works correctly for me anyway and I always end up adjusting the recorded clip along the timeline. That's not a big deal either.

• Like 1

Hi @Klaus :)

Thanks for your reply here, I appreciate your time.

Just to clarify, I only use External Insert to enable me to utilise my outboard effects.

My hardware synths go directly into my audio interface.

The only timing issue is when using a combination of hardware and software synths. What I do now, after many hours of trying out different things, is keep the timing of the hardware synths "as is" and apply a delay to the software synth tracks. Just seems to be easier for me.

Manually shifting notes is not an option for me because I do a lot of sequencer type stuff that I want to be able to tweak on the fly and all the notes are quantised, as you would expect for sequencer tracks.

cheers

andy

• Like 1