Mute Track

Hi guys!

I've been thinking about recording my own podcast, and I can't figure out how to mute a track while I'm recording. Is there a way to do this on Cakewalk? For example, I will use 2 mics and I will use music sometimes, so when the music is playing I want to mute my mics while I'm recording and not in post-production, just to save some time. I'm using a Scarlett 18i20 third generation so I can use its playback function to record the songs I'm playing on the pc, but have no idea how to mute or unmute the inputs in real time.

Thanks in advance!

CbB always records the signal at a track's input. Any time one wants to record a signal affected by plug-ins, the track containing the plug-ins needs to be routed to an aux track or another track using a patch point. The wet signal may be record in this track.

Try this,,,

1. Add Sonitus Gate in the FX rack on the mic track

2. Click the Audio button on the Sonitus UI changing it to Duck

Vl5s3bt.png

3. Enable input echo on the mic track

4. Route the mic track output to a new aux track

5. Record enable the aux track

6. Create a send on the music track to the Sonitus:fx Gate (Side Input)

7. Enable input echo on the music track

Now any time signal hits the music track, the aux track will be muted.

Anytime this method of recording a wet signal is used, it is a good idea to record the dry track too, just in case.

May need to experiment with the hold and release times to make sure the gate does not open with quite parts of the music.

• Great Idea 2

13 hours ago, John Vere said:

This is why I like to use a small mixer when doing things like screen captures. I have real controls and can balance levels on the fly as I record. 

mix_primary_image2_0.png

Yep. That would be the best option, but cant afford one right now.

Thank you anyways!

14 hours ago, scook said:

CbB always records the signal at a track's input. Any time one wants to record a signal affected by plug-ins, the track containing the plug-ins needs to be routed to an aux track or another track using a patch point. The wet signal may be record in this track.

Try this,,,

1. Add Sonitus Gate in the FX rack on the mic track

2. Click the Audio button on the Sonitus UI changing it to Duck

Vl5s3bt.png

3. Enable input echo on the mic track

4. Route the mic track output to a new aux track

5. Record enable the aux track

6. Create a send on the music track to the Sonitus:fx Gate (Side Input)

7. Enable input echo on the music track

Now any time signal hits the music track, the aux track will be muted.

Anytime this method of recording a wet signal is used, it is a good idea to record the dry track too, just in case.

May need to experiment with the hold and release times to make sure the gate does not open with quite parts of the music.

That's a great idea, to use an aux track. I will check it out.

Thank you so much!