Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
antler

Chord Prism 50% Off at Audio Deluxe

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)
43 minutes ago, antler said:

https://www.audiodeluxe.com/products/virtual-instruments/chord-prism

Anyone used this before? Would be interested to hear how this compares with other music theory tools.

I had the original version which was called AutoTheory and while it was good I didn't like that it operated outside your DAW.
I was able to get a free upgrade to Chord Prism and I do like it a lot and it is now integrated in your DAW. I also own Scaler and you can do most (not all) of it with Scaler (which is soon to updated). For me I am happy to have both and would recommend Chord Prism. I would definitely buy it at this price if I didn't already own it.  This one,  Scaler and InstaChord are my favourite apps of this type. I'm not including apps like Rapid Composer and Orb Producer, Sundog, Captain Chords in this as they are full blown songwriting aids - kind of the next step after this.   

If you are an adept keyboard player then you probably don't need it but as a so so keyboard player it works for me and I really like the new features.

You basically have chords on the left octave and notes/arps on the right octave and you set the key on the left and it then gives you the chords for the key on the left octave but also changes the keys on the right octave to fit in with the chord and the key as you are playing them. It doesn't stop there as there are various options for how the notes on the right hand octave are displayed and also for leading notes/7th/9th/11ths for the chords on the left octave. There's even more to it than that so just have a look at these videos...

 

 

 

 

Edited by ZincT
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

It's basically an updated version of an app called Auto Theory re-branded. They added some new features and made it a plugin instead of a separate app like before. It's similar  to stuff Insta Chord and Scaler (Scaler is a bit more advanced)

 

Edit: ZincT beat me to it.

Edited by Lemar Sain

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 This kind of stuff to a degree has been in FL Studio for quite some time.  I have Riffer and Chtuhlu and I rarely open them.  I'm so use to using my head or using midi files.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Since I got Unify I've found more use for the MIDI apps I own.  For one thing it's a lot easier to set them up and it's fun to be able to create patches and multis with them.

I've noticed that a lot of them are going on sale these days.  And I think that they have their eye on the May 27th release of Scaler 2. 

IMHO Scaler 2 will be a game-changing insta-buy no-brainer.  

 

 

Edited by Reid Rosefelt
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Scaler 2 does look interesting... not sure it needs so many built in sounds, but it does looks like it could be really useful

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@ZincT when you mentioned about the free upgrade I searched my email and couldn't find anything about it but I noticed that I had an activation code for the autotheory 5.5 beta.

I downloaded chord prism, entered the key I had received for the 5.5 beta and it worked! Thank you!

(the compatibility of autotheory activation codes and chord prism is not that unexpected, but the beta codes still working on the released product that is a little more unusual)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had Auto Theory Pro but not 5. So no upgrade pricing either.  They have to come down on the price for me to consider. The plus side is it no longer uses iLok.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Eusebio Rufian-Zilbermann said:

@ZincT when you mentioned about the free upgrade I searched my email and couldn't find anything about it but I noticed that I had an activation code for the autotheory 5.5 beta.

I downloaded chord prism, entered the key I had received for the 5.5 beta and it worked! Thank you!

(the compatibility of autotheory activation codes and chord prism is not that unexpected, but the beta codes still working on the released product that is a little more unusual)


Yes, I was a little surprised that the beta code worked on the released product Eusebio.

Makes up a little for the fact that I paid for and didn't like or use AutoTheory :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, antler said:

Scaler 2 does look interesting... not sure it needs so many built in sounds, but it does looks like it could be really useful

Optional in the installer, and even with it is a fairly small footprint considering.

It also make previewing a lot faster by having them built in.  Using a felt piano vs a pad or lead synth makes a world of difference developing different parts.

Plus for those that don't have a large library, nice to get that variety all in one solution.  I think it is a very welcome bonus especially with the optional install nature of it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Brian Walton said:

It also make previewing a lot faster by having them built in.  Using a felt piano vs a pad or lead synth makes a world of difference developing different parts.

Plus for those that don't have a large library, nice to get that variety all in one solution.  I think it is a very welcome bonus especially with the optional install nature of it.

Not doubting the usefulness of built in sounds; I just didn't know how extensive the samples were, and thought it might be overkill if a music theory plugin came with a e.g. 20gb library [I couldn't find any info on how big the sound library is] (that might also increase the price). Even for those with various libraries and synths, it can make the whole thing quicker to get going as there's one less thing in the chain to set up.

Edited by antler

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, antler said:

Not doubting the usefulness of built in sounds; I just didn't know how extensive the samples were, and thought it might be overkill if a music theory plugin came with a e.g. 20gb library [I couldn't find any info on how big the sound library is] (that might also increase the price). Even for those with various libraries and synths, it can make the whole thing quicker to get going as there's one less thing in the chain to set up.

Less than 1/20th of that size.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Until they make them in AAX, they aren't really worth a lot for me.  Cubase Pro's chord track does most of this stuff.  I really need stuff like this for ProTools, but no one makes them. 

  • Great Idea 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm wondering if I'm getting a couple false positives from virustotal when I check the windows files?  Has anybody else checked them out?  I'm not worried about the company, but I always check files before installing.  Perhaps they could have been compromised.   Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Topcheese said:

I'm wondering if I'm getting a couple false positives from virustotal when I check the windows files?  Has anybody else checked them out?  I'm not worried about the company, but I always check files before installing.  Perhaps they could have been compromised.   Thanks!

Yes I asked the developer about the fact that VirusTotal is showing one detection of  W32/InstallCore.CHDH!tr on version 1.0.13 of ChordPrism from the Acronis Fortinet AV engine.  There were 70 other AV engines that gave it a clean bill of health including my installed version of Kaspersky AV.

Zac from Mosaic Beats responded..

Quote

Thanks, it’ll take some time before it no longer gets flagged.

Zac

...which I take to mean that it is a false positive!

Edited by ZincT
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

AutoTheory as a plugin. Pretty pretty good. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Fleer said:

AutoTheory as a plugin. Pretty pretty good. 

That's one reason I never checked it out, but it always looked impressive.  I already have a ton of theory plugins, but it seems to fit right in with my workflow ... after testing the demo.  I think I'll support the developer and bite.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...