Sign in to follow this  
Dave G

Cakewalk Sound Center doesn't respond to RPN + Wheel

I wish to create bend/portamento on adjacent notes in Cakewalk Sound Center.

I set an RPN event (seems # doesn't matter) in the beginning of the track. Then I draw a pitch bend wheel at the end of the first note going from 0 down to the pitch of the second note. Just then, when I play the track...I lose audio. What the...?

When I change the Sound Center instrument, it plays fine on the CSC synth window keyboard. But when I play the track again, no audio. How nutty, this is frustrating.

Cakewalk Sound Center is a signficant part of my instrument library. I'd love to be able to get pitch bend to work there. Any suggestions to the above issue?

Thanks in advance.

26 minutes ago, Dave G said:

I set an RPN event (seems # doesn't matter) in the beginning of the track. Then I draw a pitch bend wheel at the end of the first note going from 0 down to the pitch of the second note. Just then, when I play the track...I lose audio. What the...?

Not supported by any Cakewalk sfz engine synth including the CSC. These events shut down the synth engine requiring a restart of the project.

Try using wheel events either as MIDI automation in the Track view or CC data in the PRV. Set the wheel type in either method using the MIDI envelop dialog.

ZtztCqK.gif

17 hours ago, scook said:

Not supported by any Cakewalk sfz engine synth including the CSC. These events shut down the synth engine requiring a restart of the project.

Try using wheel events either as MIDI automation in the Track view or CC data in the PRV. Set the wheel type in either method using the MIDI envelop dialog.

ZtztCqK.gif

Thank you for the response.

Would you please elaborate on the second paragraph for me? Wheel events are not available nor documented for the track view, only Volume and Pan. This is also indicated by the numeric meter there which seems to just go from 0 upwards. (I just searched YouTube for literally an hour not finding an instruction for this.)

Also, what you suggested about inserting wheel events via "CC data in the Piano Roll View". Piano Roll View, there's a Controller Pane beneath that, where I normally draw wheel events. How would a CC event create that, and where?

Thanks again. 😊

16 minutes ago, Dave G said:

This is also indicated by the numeric meter there which seems to just go from 0 upwards. (I just searched YouTube for literally an hour not finding an instruction for this.)

Notice in the animation, MIDI automation for wheel events shows a 0 in the middle for the automation lane. MIDI automation works just like any other automation in the Track view. MIDI automation is only available on MIDI tracks so, if using an instrument track, it must (temporarily) be split into its constituent audio and MIDI tracks to gain access to the MIDI envelop dialog.

16 minutes ago, Dave G said:

Also, what you suggested about inserting wheel events via "CC data in the Piano Roll View". Piano Roll View, there's a Controller Pane beneath that, where I normally draw wheel events. How would a CC event create that, and where?

It does not create CC for Wheel. It is the area where the Wheel data along with CC data are displayed in the PRV. I could have written that a little better.

In reference to drawing in the PRV, I noticed I had to hide the Controller Pane first. This gave me access to the Controller drop-down just above the vertical keyboard.  (To me, however, the Controllers in the PRV method work better as a visual than as an editor.)

I split the Instrument track as you instructed. Then I attempted to draw the pitch bend on the new MIDI track. After I'd done that, I lost audio on playback again. This time, however, was because I decided to delete the instrument track, leaving the MIDI+Automation tracks on their own. (There was no audio left to play?)

I created a new Instrument track again (Cakewalk Sound Center -> Les Paul Guitar Solo), split it, drew the wheel bend on the MIDI track's Automation lane. It played just fine, however, node editing in that small space feels extremely tight and cumbersome.

See screenshot below, as I believe this represents the "proper" method.

I do believe I've learned a few things here. I guess I'm just frustrated that I'm finding this so difficult. I would assume that once this is done, I'm to leave the original Instrument tracks there? Is there any way to create this controller without having to split all tracks I do this on?

(Also, when I tried creating an Automation Lane for RPN, I couldn't figure out how to enter a custom value. And it doesn't appear in the Event list.)

bend.thumb.JPG.77613d28f4bb1e24a5491c17facd7d00.JPG

Edited by Dave G

Here is how I add Wheel to the Controller Pane in the PRV

hOsojgz.gif

For now Instrument tracks do not provide access to MIDI automation so there is no point in using instrument tracks if you know you want to draw MIDI automation in the track view.

When Cakewalk sfz synths go silent is it often due to try to play unsupported data. This may be cleaned up in the Event List view or by enabling "Do not intercept NRPNs" in Plug-in Properties from the plug-in header. When running 32bit plug-ins in CbB using BitBridge the track header is in a separate window. To gain access to the window hold the ALT key when adding the synth to a project or opening its UI. The header usually opens behind the plug-in.

YUEI29D.gif