"Saving is disabled in Demo Mode. Please activate via BandLab Assistant" - Solved!

Ane Atsuko Sobreira Minato

Question

Last week, I installed CbB on my notebook without issues, now, trying to install it on my PC is being a PITA...  After several attempts to download and install, and the Assistant stucking in the install process, I decided to run the exe directly from the installation folder.  The process seemed to be fine but I end up in Demo Mode.

The message error asks for activation via BandLab Assistant but this option doesn't exist.  Checking for updates is not a solution because I'm already updated. 

Is there anyone that can help me?

Thanks!

Edited by Atsuko

13 answers to this question

I'm not sure if this still works or not but I do seem to remember someone suggesting to - Try logging out and then back in again of the Bandlab Assistant. '

I tried this and it worked, thanks a lot, I would recommend it!

• Like 2

Hope it helps.

Why is Cakewalk by BandLab stuck in demo mode?

January 11, 2020 23:39

The authorization file for Cakewalk by BandLab is generated when you install Cakewalk by BandLab via BandLab Assistant. Sometimes, that doesn't happen because of elevated permissions needed in Windows. 

Try re-installing Cakewalk by BandLab by running as administrator! To do so, please right-click BandLab Assistant and Run as Administrator. 

Bandlab/Cakewalk install activation is still broken as of 2020, so you will only be able to install Cakewalk in Demo mode. That is to say, the "free" version is just a ruse.

Using the recommendation to uninstall and reinstall as Administrator also does not work. Staff does not actually attempt to perform this task as part of quality assurance.

Also, the following URL references a non-existent internet site: https://bnd.la/cakewalk-activation.

This post was written by my Dad. We're both frustrated with what Bandlab has done to Cakewalk.

EDIT: I think we found the missing puzzle piece: if you have a brand new Bandlab account as part of the requirement for installing Bandlab Assistant and Cakewalk, be sure to check the Bandlab feed for a notification that says something like, "Check your email inbox for the email verification link". Once we did this step, Cakewalk was activated and was able to save files!

Edited by Renn Marr
We found we had not verified the email address for our new Bandlab account, so that may have prevented Cakewalk from activating - because it did activate after we completed that step.
  • Like 1

Later today we came back to sleuth the problem and decided to check the Bandlab Assistant web link that goes to https://www.bandlab.com/feed and found a notification that informed us that we had to confirm our email address. We are a new account to Bandlab!

After we had verified our email address, Cakewalk was able to activate (we did launch Bandlab Assistant as the Administrator user, so not sure if that's also part of the puzzle). After activation, we just launch Bandlab Assistant, then launch Cakewalk - as a normal user - and all is OK now, Cakewalk can save stuff!

If this email confirmation was indeed the final puzzle piece, then I think this important bit of information should be an emboldened part of the FAQ.

• Like 1

Hi,

I may be going a little off-topic here, however I am presenting my experience below, hoping it helps someone in similar situation:

Note: My PC has Windows 7 64-bit version.

1. When I started installation of Cakwalk Sonar thru Bandlab Assistant, the installation looked like it got stuck in "downloading (5/5)" stage.

2. I cancelled the above mentioned downloading by clicking on [X] icon next to the downloading message.

3. While searching thru Bandlab assitant app, I found the "downloads" folder where the files of states (1/5) to (5/5) were downloaded (Refer attached image)

4. I started Cakewalk Sonar setup file kept in same download folder. After usual setup installation process, Cakewalk Sonar got installed, however my PC hung up, so I re-started it.

5. When I started Sonar for first time, I saw an alert-window informing that the Sonar wasn't activated and I should activate it thru Bandlab Assistant. (At this moment, Bandlab Assistant was not started since after aforementioned re-starting of PC, Cakewalk Sonar was the only software started)

6. I started Bandlab Assistant software (while Sonar was still open in another window), and went thru its login process.

7. After sucessful login in Bandlab Assistant, I observed another alert-window, informing that Cakewalk has been activated. Though I have not tested it, I believe now the Sonar can create and save new files.

Hope the above helps others who have faced similar issue of "Sonar not activated"

Copy Bandlab Sonar Download-1.jpg

Edited by SS D2
Some original text got accidentally deleted

Hi,

I may be going a little off-topic here, however I am presenting my experience below, hoping it helps someone in similar situation:

Note: My PC has Windows 7 64-bit version.

1. When I started installation of Cakwalk Sonar thru Bandlab Assistant, the installation looked like it got stuck at "downloading (5/5)"

2. Thru a bit of searching within Bandlab-assistant I found the "download" folder where the files associated with (1/5) to (5/5) were stored.

3. I cancelled the process of "downloading (5/5)" by clicking on [X] next to this downloading message.

4. I found Cakewalk Setup file in the download folder (Refer attached image)... double-clicked on it and in due course Cakewalk got installed.

5. However when I ran Cakewalk for the 1st time, I got alert-message on Cakewalk window that I needed to activate this software thru bandlab assistant. At this moment the Bandlab Assistant was not running.

6. I started Bandlab Assistant from the Windows 7 Start button's drop-down list, and started login process.  After going thru successful login process, (while the Cakewalk Sonar was still open in another window)... I observed that the Cakewalk Sonar automatically showed an "Alert-window" stating Cakewalk has been activated.

7. Since I am new to this whole midi /DAW business, I don't know whether "activated" means it will save newly created file or not, however the above experience shows that successful login to Bandlab Assistant AFTER launching Cakewalk Sonar, does "activates" Sonar.

Hope the above helps in people facing similar alert-message of "...cakewalk not activated".

Regards,