Jump to content
  • 0
André

How to install onto a D: drive? C: drive too small to install Cakewalk

Question

Hi whoever is viewing this,

My C:drive is too small (28gb total) to install Cakewalk. I was wondering if anybody knows how to install Cakewalk directly onto my 1tb D drive, as there is no way (that I know of) to transfer it post install as like I said my C drive is too small. Thanks in advance. 

Edited by André
I tried to type D : Drive and it got turned into a smiley

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Recommended Posts

  • 0
21 minutes ago, André said:

Sorry, but nothing seems to be happening. I opened as admin and tried a few times.

mmmm,typical ... /ponders ... ....

 

you have a missing space .. copy the following line into your  paste buffer (select the txt with your mouse,select copy then paste it into the Admin CMD window - without the quotes :))

 

"powercfg.exe /hibernate off"

 

 

 

Edit:- more pondering ..

 

could reduce size/disable your traschcan 

right click the trashcan icon on your desktop - select properties = options are there

 

delete old system restore points?

control panel - system - system protection - system restore - then follow the on screen instructions (i have it disabled,cant help much there,googles knows :D)

Edited by Rooooooo
me is ficko :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

iirc, if you aready have sonar/cw installed you can't choose a custom (different) install?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
26 minutes ago, Rooooooo said:

mmmm,typical ... /ponders ... ....

 

you have a missing space .. copy the following line into your  paste buffer (select the txt with your mouse,select copy then paste it into the Admin CMD window - without the quotes :))

 

"powercfg.exe /hibernate off"

 

 

 

Edit:- more pondering ..

 

could reduce size/disable your traschcan 

right click the trashcan icon on your desktop - select properties = options are there

 

delete old system restore points?

control panel - system - system protection - system restore - then follow the on screen instructions (i have it disabled,cant help much there,googles knows :D)

Tried with the space, emptied recycle bin, nothing same again. Thanks anyway

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Why not just grab the EA release from this forum, and download directly to the D:/ drive, and install it specifying the D:/ drive.  This sounds like a ton of monkey motion.

Oh, and it's time for a new hard drive if not a new computer . With only a 28GB system drive, I have to wonder what the rest of the system spec is.

By the way, if the external D drive is not an SSD...I bet you are going to struggle with performance if your workload is heavy at all.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
16 minutes ago, StudioNSFW said:

, and install it specifying the D:/ drive.  This sounds like a ton of monkey motion.

Oh, and it's time for a new hard drive if not a new computer . With only a 28GB system drive, I have to wonder what the rest of the system spec is.

By the way, if the external D drive is not an SSD...I bet you are going to struggle with performance if your workload is heavy at all.

Why not just grab the EA release from this forum, and download directly to the D:/ drive
-
This is exactly what I've been looking for, thanks, didn't know it was an option. 

-Oh, and it's time for a new hard drive if not a new computer . With only a 28GB system drive, I have to wonder what the rest of the system spec is.
-And yeah, believe me, this is not my dream laptop I'm just making do with what I can afford. Usually I go to my friend's studio to record but; lockdown. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
1 hour ago, pwalpwal said:

iirc, if you aready have sonar/cw installed you can't choose a custom (different) install?

I do not have sonar already

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
12 minutes ago, André said:

Why not just grab the EA release from this forum, and download directly to the D:/ drive
-
This is exactly what I've been looking for, thanks, didn't know it was an option. 

-Oh, and it's time for a new hard drive if not a new computer . With only a 28GB system drive, I have to wonder what the rest of the system spec is.
-And yeah, believe me, this is not my dream laptop I'm just making do with what I can afford. Usually I go to my friend's studio to record but; lockdown. 

 

Where can I find the release you're referring to?

Edited by André
quoted the wrong post but its clear to me now I can neither change that or delete my post

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

The EA releases are not full versions they are update installers that only run on a previous full install or EA release.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
Just now, scook said:

The EA releases are not full versions they are update installers that only run on a previous full install or EA release.

Ah thanks for letting me know, I can see that now

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
3 hours ago, André said:

I see what you're saying, so the initial download once complete would give me access to the actual installer? and yes, my free space looks like this even after unistalling my anti-virus software (desperate measure!). The only external software I currently have is Bandlab Assistant and my web browser (about 750mb all together). The rest of the space is taken up by system files and other stuff that makes the laptop work.

image.thumb.png.3618a2b4a81d1e32a80fae77aa028203.png

I can pretty much guarantee that your drive has a lot more than "system files and other stuff that makes the laptop work." Windows should take up less than 20 GB. There may be a bunch of pre-installed bloatware or special features that come with the machine, but most of this stuff can be either deleted or re-located to your external drive by the methods others have noted if not by simply copying. If you are storing files under the pre-defined Windows C:\users locations they can mostly be moved using Windows features. If you upgraded from an earlier version you may have an enormous Windows.old folder that can be deleted or re-located. If you have a large amount of email or stuff in your browser cache you can back it up or move it off C:. btw what version of Windows is this?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
15 minutes ago, slartabartfast said:

I can pretty much guarantee that your drive has a lot more than "system files and other stuff that makes the laptop work." Windows should take up less than 20 GB. There may be a bunch of pre-installed bloatware or special features that come with the machine, but most of this stuff can be either deleted or re-located to your external drive by the methods others have noted if not by simply copying. If you are storing files under the pre-defined Windows C:\users locations they can mostly be moved using Windows features. If you upgraded from an earlier version you may have an enormous Windows.old folder that can be deleted or re-located. If you have a large amount of email or stuff in your browser cache you can back it up or move it off C:. btw what version of Windows is this?

You were right, turns out I had about 4gb in 'temporary files'. And while I do have a Windows.old I had a look in properties and it contains 3 files taking up a total of 0bytes. Not sure what version of Windows. - EDIT: Version 10.0.10240, according to cmd window

 

Edited by André

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

I battled with a 60Gb SSD on my PC - when SSD prices were crazy - so feel your pain. Another good clean up option is Wise Care 365 - it picks up stuff that Windows clean up doesn't. Good luck. I swapped my 60Gb drive out for a 256Gb a while ago and also recently installed a 1Tb external Samsung SSD (under USB 3) to replace my ageing 1Tb HDD.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

I want to once more thank everybody who replied to my query, you've all been so helpful. Trust me I'm so happy to say that Cakewalk is being installed onto my D Drive as we speak. I achieved this using a little of everyone's suggestions so it was a collaborative effort on all of your parts, thanks team! :) 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

If your laptop supports an actual 2.5 drive, a 500 GB SSD runs about $50-$100, and a 120 GB SSD can be had for as cheap as $20, and that would make life a lot more comfortable for you - to clone your existing drive to a new SSD, as certainly a drive as small as you have will give you nothing but headaches.

Additionally - is there an additional partition on your boot drive?  Lots of times, manufacturers of pre-built computers create a recovery partition that is an image of the laptop's boot drive as it existed when it left the factory.  If that is no longer needed, like if you created a Windows Recovery DVD, for instance, you could recover Windows from that, you could consider deleting that recovery partition and reclaiming that space to extend your OS partition, which would add that space to what is available to you on the boot drive.

Lastly, while some folks use the M-link junctin or connection or whatever it is called, to move folders while they still appear to everything as being at their original locations, I move my user folders (documents, pictures, videos, downloads, etc) to a different drive, by going into the Properties of each of those user folders, and using the Location tab to specify an alternate location, and that moves all of that stuff off of the boot drive, just like those M-links or whatever those are called.  That reclaims a bunch of space.

And, whenever possible, I specify a different drive for any plugin's content files, like sample libraries, or whatever, just to keep it off the boot drive.

(edited - forgot to add something) - if you do look at picking up a larger boot drive - a standard 2.5" SATA III SSD, I suggest you look for those that have V-NAND technology, as opposed to regular NAND, TLC-NAND, or MLC-NAND, because while a bit more expensive than the other types, V-NAND technology wears better over time, and can last a lot longer than the other types - that being said, they all should last a while.  Just a thought - others may have different opinions on this - it is what I tend to choose, when choices are available).

Bob Bone

 

Edited by Robert Bone
Forgot to mention something
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
On 4/20/2020 at 4:16 AM, Robert Bone said:

If your laptop supports an actual 2.5 drive, a 500 GB SSD runs about $50-$100, and a 120 GB SSD can be had for as cheap as $20, and that would make life a lot more comfortable for you - to clone your existing drive to a new SSD, as certainly a drive as small as you have will give you nothing but headaches.

Additionally - is there an additional partition on your boot drive?  Lots of times, manufacturers of pre-built computers create a recovery partition that is an image of the laptop's boot drive as it existed when it left the factory.  If that is no longer needed, like if you created a Windows Recovery DVD, for instance, you could recover Windows from that, you could consider deleting that recovery partition and reclaiming that space to extend your OS partition, which would add that space to what is available to you on the boot drive.

Lastly, while some folks use the M-link junctin or connection or whatever it is called, to move folders while they still appear to everything as being at their original locations, I move my user folders (documents, pictures, videos, downloads, etc) to a different drive, by going into the Properties of each of those user folders, and using the Location tab to specify an alternate location, and that moves all of that stuff off of the boot drive, just like those M-links or whatever those are called.  That reclaims a bunch of space.

And, whenever possible, I specify a different drive for any plugin's content files, like sample libraries, or whatever, just to keep it off the boot drive.

(edited - forgot to add something) - if you do look at picking up a larger boot drive - a standard 2.5" SATA III SSD, I suggest you look for those that have V-NAND technology, as opposed to regular NAND, TLC-NAND, or MLC-NAND, because while a bit more expensive than the other types, V-NAND technology wears better over time, and can last a lot longer than the other types - that being said, they all should last a while.  Just a thought - others may have different opinions on this - it is what I tend to choose, when choices are available).

Bob Bone

 

Wow great reply thank you. I will look into whether or not theres a partition in my Cdrive or not, I hadn't thought of that. I'm running Cakewalk straight off of my HDD for the time being while I save up for a desktop PC, I'm so done with laptops for now... Thank you for all of the info Bob, I'll commit it to memory 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Also, check the size of the virtual memory size: you could very likely shrink it (or zero it) while you install CbB to the C drive, and then increase it.  Windows 10 seems to be much happier running sans virtual memory at all (actual RAM permitting, of course!) than previous versions, which often bitched from time to time.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

The first entry is the correct format.

The error message is a Windows problem.

Why don't you just create the link to the D drive and be done with it? Run Command as administrator. Type 

      mklink    /J     "C:\Program Files\Cakewalk"     "D:\Program Files\Cakewalk"

I have exaggerated the spaces to show you where the spaces go.

Then install Cakewalk. It will go to your 😧 drive. Leaving space on the 😄 drive so that at least Windows has breathing room. Problems solved.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...