Jump to content
  • 0
André

How to install onto a D: drive? C: drive too small to install Cakewalk

Question

Hi whoever is viewing this,

My C:drive is too small (28gb total) to install Cakewalk. I was wondering if anybody knows how to install Cakewalk directly onto my 1tb D drive, as there is no way (that I know of) to transfer it post install as like I said my C drive is too small. Thanks in advance. 

Edited by André
I tried to type D : Drive and it got turned into a smiley

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Recommended Posts

  • 1

HI:)

 

If you have a big directory you can move it to another drive by mklink!

 

1. Copy the complete DIR to another Drive and delete in on drive C or just move it to the other drive

I use now "test" and drive D for this example

2. press "Win"-Key

3. type in "command" 

4. click on "open as Admin"

5. type in:

==============

mklink /J c:\test d:\test

=====================

Now a hardlink is created to D:\test and you can use C:\test as if it is on Drive C.

 

So you can move large DIRs to another drive to make room, but don't use it to move C:\Windows😂

 

Bassman.

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1

Cakewalk installed is less than 2GB. Is your free space less than that?

Also, in your browser, set a folder on the hard-drive as your download folder.

If you can get 2GB free space, install Cakewalk, uninstall Cakewalk, use the downloaded installer to install it again, this time to the hard-drive.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1

That is an exceptionally small boot drive--assuming it is a built in SSD. You do not give any other specs, so it would be worthwhile checking to see if the machine will run Cakewalk even if it could be installed. Running from an external drive may cause you some problems depending on speed and interface, for example. Check the machine manual to see if you can upgrade or replace the SSD with another drive, or add another drive would be my first thought. Another option would be to install windows on and boot from an external drive and install your software on the external. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Click advanced in the installer when it offers you "Basic".

when you run the installer point everything at D:\cakewalk, then break out the various folders (D:\cakewalk\vstplugins etc)

Have a Coke and a smile.

 

Edited by StudioNSFW

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Thank you for the reply. Unfortunately I can't kick back yet - my version of the installer is via Bandlab assistant (I don't think there is currently any separate download link). In any case; there is no option for 'advanced' nor does it say basic anywhere. This is a shot of what my installer looks like. I can't get past this point because the Bandlab assistant automatically targets my Cdrive as the target for the install. 

image.thumb.png.c2b4e5852fdaa825287d2db43c32545d.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Have you actually tried running the installer and see if you get the option to choose between Basic and Advanced? When you do the install from Bandlab Assistant it actually downloads the installer and runs it. If I run my downloaded installer I get the option to choose between Basic and Advanced.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Yes I have tried running the installer and I don't get this option. It goes straight to asking me which add-ons I'd like to install. From there the only options are 'install'# or 'cancel'. Upon clicking install it says 'Downloading(1/5)' it gets to 'Downloading(4/5)' and then stops abruptly. Presumably because there is no space on the Cdrive - the automatic target for the installation. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
7 hours ago, Heinz Hupfer said:

HI:)

 

If you have a big directory you can move it to another drive by mklink!

 

1. Copy the complete DIR to another Drive and delete in on drive C or just move it to the other drive

I use now "test" and drive D for this example

2. press "Win"-Key

3. type in "command" 

4. click on "open as Admin"

5. type in:

==============

mklink /J c:\test d:\test

=====================

Now a hardlink is created to D:\test and you can use C:\test as if it is on Drive C.

 

So you can move large DIRs to another drive to make room, but don't use it to move C:\Windows😂

 

Bassman.

 

Thanks I will give this a try

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Have you run disk cleanup to reclaim space on your C_Drive?

As a desperate, last gasp, work around, you can delete other applications from the C_Drive and install them to the D_Drive.   Maybe then the C_Drive will have enough room.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
13 minutes ago, RobertWS said:

Have you run disk cleanup to reclaim space on your C_Drive?

As a desperate, last gasp, work around, you can delete other applications from the C_Drive and install them to the D_Drive.   Maybe then the C_Drive will have enough room.   

No, like I said the install takes up more than the total space (even if it were empty) on the C:drive. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

@André few questions to make sure :)

 

your using a laptop with 1 internal drive - and that drive has 1 operating system (no dual boot) with a total size of 28 gb ?

 

the 1tb Drive you mention is a physical drive? (im assuming an external 1 tb usb drive??) - or is it a partition on the internal laptop hard drive ???

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
38 minutes ago, Rooooooo said:

@André few questions to make sure :)

 

your using a laptop with 1 internal drive - and that drive has 1 operating system (no dual boot) with a total size of 28 gb ?

 

the 1tb Drive you mention is a physical drive? (im assuming an external 1 tb usb drive??) - or is it a partition on the internal laptop hard drive ???

 

Yo, thanks for the reply,

your using a laptop with 1 internal drive - and that drive has 1 operating system (no dual boot) with a total size of 28 gb ?
-Yes a laptop with 1 internal drive with a total size of 28gb. Not sure what you mean by dual boot? I have a file in C names program files and another called program files (x86).

the 1tb Drive you mention is a physical drive? (im assuming an external 1 tb usb drive??) - or is it a partition on the internal laptop hard drive ???
-Correct. It is a physical 1tb external USB drive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
3 minutes ago, Nigel Mackay said:

Cakewalk installed is less than 2GB. Is your free space less than that?

Also, in your browser, set a folder on the hard-drive as your download folder.

If you can get 2GB free space, install Cakewalk, uninstall Cakewalk, use the downloaded installer to install it again, this time to the hard-drive.

I see what you're saying, so the initial download once complete would give me access to the actual installer? and yes, my free space looks like this even after unistalling my anti-virus software (desperate measure!). The only external software I currently have is Bandlab Assistant and my web browser (about 750mb all together). The rest of the space is taken up by system files and other stuff that makes the laptop work.

image.thumb.png.3618a2b4a81d1e32a80fae77aa028203.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

@André :)

ok,this (if you haven't already done it) will save you space equal (ish) to the total physical memory in your laptop ..

 

open a CMD prompt EDIT:- as Administrator! .. type "powercfg.exe /hibernate off" - after this id try the last part of the download again,see if you get it .. and after that it might install to your D:? drive as planned (fingers crossed) ...

 

if it doesn't work,or you cant free more space there's plan B .. and that means more typing :D ..

 

see how far this gets you (if anywhere :))

Edited by Rooooooo
ficko :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
3 minutes ago, Rooooooo said:

@André :)

ok,this (if you haven't already done it) will save you space equal (ish) to the total physical memory in your laptop ..

 

open a CMD prompt .. type "powercfg.exe /hibernate off" - after this id try the last part of the download again,see if you get it .. and after that it might install to your D:? drive as planned (fingers crossed) ...

 

if it doesn't work,or you cant free more space there's plan B .. and that means more typing :D ..

 

see how far this gets you (if anywhere :))

Ahhh so if I do this I'll get back all the hardrive space that hibernate uses at the cost of the hibernate feature and start up speeds? I think I'll give this a try, sounds worth it. Thanks! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
Just now, André said:

Ahhh so if I do this I'll get back all the hardrive space that hibernate uses at the cost of the hibernate feature and start up speeds? I think I'll give this a try, sounds worth it. Thanks! 

ahhhh,but after you installed your cake niceness you can re-enable hybernate  later:-

 

"powercfg.exe /hibernate on"

 

not that you would want to,cos you want an always on power profile ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Sorry I wasn't clear, I have run disk clean-up but I am out of apps and files that I can delete. The above screenshot is the results of a culling of apps as well as a disc clean-up

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
45 minutes ago, Rooooooo said:

@André :)

ok,this (if you haven't already done it) will save you space equal (ish) to the total physical memory in your laptop ..

 

open a CMD prompt EDIT:- as Administrator! .. type "powercfg.exe /hibernate off" - after this id try the last part of the download again,see if you get it .. and after that it might install to your D:? drive as planned (fingers crossed) ...

 

if it doesn't work,or you cant free more space there's plan B .. and that means more typing :D ..

 

see how far this gets you (if anywhere :))

Sorry, but nothing seems to be happening. I opened as admin and tried a few times. image.thumb.png.6775491cf76fa4ade5151e45fc13adc0.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...