Marcello

INCREASE VOLUME ON MIDI NOTES IN SINGLE TRACK

Question

Is it possible to increase the volume of a single note in Piano Roll having all in a single track?

I am using a drum machine plugin but I have everything on a MIDI track: snare, kick, ride, crash etc.

After having recorded the drums track I realized that the crash and ride are too low in volume, is it possible to increase the volume directly from Piano Roll?

If I right click on a note I have the following options I can modify, but there is no volume, only the Velocity, which should not be the volume but indeed the strenght of the hit on the drums, which is different.

Any Idea? I don't want to record again the drums modifying the volume from the plugin. Took me ages!

image.png.fee85a1cd9b15218e7108964cca3ada8.png

7 answers to this question

Volume is not a note property, velocity is.

Volume is generally CC7.

That said most drum synths have a way to adjust the volume of individual kit piece in the UI and many have a way to split out the different kit pieces to separate audio tracks adding another layer of volume control.

I don't want to split the tracks in different outputs, because in that case I need to mix the drums sound all from the DAW directly, and I'm fine with the plugin sound mix, just need to increase the volume.

If I send everything in different tracks from the plugin, it loses the sound mix properties of the plugin, it passes only the rough sound to the DAW, and then I have to do the mixing again from the DAW directly for each track.

If the plug-in supports CC control of volume then it can be done via MIDI.

If not it will have to be done in the plug-in UI or in the audio track(s).

You are using a Kontakt drum kit. This probably means that you can set different audio outputs for the different classes of drums. Check in the setup of the instrument. With almost all drum kits the crash and ride will be in the overheads channel. Abbreviated to OH. But those mikes also pick up the other drums, so iy is a fine balance.

In the MIDI data the velocities are at 126, where 127 is the maximum, so you will have to make everything except the crash and ride lower velocities. That does translate to volume. That is how a drummer plays louder, he hits the drum harder.

Solved! I didn't understand that even once I recorded the track if I change parameters from the mixer in the plugin  the sound changes also in the track already recorded! So I don't need to record the track again!