VST Scan is not working

Hi

Noticed that only pluggins in  "C:\Program Files (x86)\Cakewalk\Vstplugins" and  "C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Vstplugins" were available. I have two other folders of VST pluggins  that i added to the VST folders list . They have not been scanned and are not available in Cakewalk (latest version)

But on closer scutiny, the VST scan is completely nonfunctional. I went to  Preferences > VST settings.  I tried manual scan. No activity. I tried reset all pluggins and rescan. No activity. I tried removing all VST folders. Exited Cakewalk . Restarted Cakewalk. Added all the folders and rescanned them.  No activity.

I have Sonar X3 installed as well and have none of these problems. 

Any ideas what the problem might be.

It is pretty hard to have more then one copy of VstScan.exe install.

So this means both X3 and CbB are most likely using the same scanner.

Make sure to run the scanner from preferences NOT the plug-in manager.

Check Windows Task Manager to see if VstScan.exe is running. If it is kill it.

Then run a VST Reset from preferences with "Scan in Sandbox" and "Generate Scan Log" enabled.

The second option creates a log in %appdata%\Cakewalk\VstScan.log

If the scan fails to run to completion the log may show where the process stalls.

Thank you.  Every bit of the information in your reply was helpful.

Problem solved

The VSTScan.exe did hang. 

What i did.

1. Exited Cakewalk. Killed  VSTScan.exe. 

2.  Started Cakewalk again. Ran VST Reset from preferences with "Scan in Sandbox" and "Generate Scan Log" enabled.

The scan hung at a plugin.  I couldn't kill VSTScan.exe with Cakewalk running,  so I exited Cakewalk.  Then killed  VSTScan.exe.  Then i removed the plugin that caused the hang.

Repeated step 2,two more times because two more plugins hung the scan.

3, The fourth scan completed successfully.   All remaining plugins were scanned and available.

Regards

Edited by Angelo DiBraccio

I have same problem.

IN prefferences the vst scan runs better than with manual scan.

But it crashes at Kinetic metal from Native Instruments. I cannot remove that plugin because in Fruity loops it works.

I dont understand why it crashes when scanning a vst folder while other programs ( fruity loops dont(.

From what I tried the Cakewalk  like it more than Fruity loops and I would like to switch to Cakewalk

But Cakewalk have some problems. Like fewer vst instruments available form the same directories.

3 hours ago, florin filimon said:

I have same problem.

IN prefferences the vst scan runs better than with manual scan.

But it crashes at Kinetic metal from Native Instruments. I cannot remove that plugin because in Fruity loops it works.

I dont understand why it crashes when scanning a vst folder while other programs ( fruity loops dont(.

From what I tried the Cakewalk  like it more than Fruity loops and I would like to switch to Cakewalk

But Cakewalk have some problems. Like fewer vst instruments available form the same directories.

"Kinetic Metal" is a Kontakt library, not a VST(i) plug-in.

Don't add library paths to the VST Scan Path in Cakewalk, only paths where the actual plug-ins are installed.

I do not own FL products but my understanding is while they make VST plug-ins the plug-ins bundled with their DAW products are proprietary. Do not scan the FL format plug-ins using CbB VST scanner.

NI plug-ins should scan but at this time it may be a good idea to remove the FL path from the CbB scan path and run a VST reset from preferences as discussed in my original post above.

I've experienced similar problems.  In my case I have installed a plugin and then found it had not turned up in the list of plugins, even though the proper folder address for it was included in the  list of folders to be scanned.     In the end I copied the relevant dll file to a specially created new folder on my C: drive, added that to the folder list, rescanned, and then it found it.  Why would it manage that and not see it in it s 'correct' place?

Also, I note from the above posts that I have been wrong always  doing this  in the plugins utility.  Do  CW know that it is broken?

Scanning from the Plug-in Manager does not take advantage of the sandbox or log options. Both features can be very useful in diagnosing why a plug-in does not scan as expected.

I suppose the scanner is still called from the PIM to support pre-X series Cakewalk DAWs. The option should be disabled when running the PIM from CbB.

When having problems with particular plug-ins providing their names and install paths may expedite a solution.

• 1 year later...

Does not work for me either.

A ton of plugins not seen even when their folders correctly configured and i am scanning from preferences.

The plugins show up in Reaper .

The only headache  in this great DAW.

Any solutions, I would be grateful.

It is the Common Files folder.

I have selected that folder  and scanned that  ,it did not work,then I selected,Common Files,VST3 and that still did not work.

Sigh.

Reaper picks up that VST 3 folder automatically and scans the plugins without an issue.

P.S. I got it working,dumbo again lol.

I forgot to enable the newly scanned plugins through the PLUG  IN MANAGER in Utilities.

I always forget to do that.

After scanning ,planning!

Edited by Jellybeantiger

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

Here's my VST3 problem. 

Not sure what it is about  sonar 8.5 (maybe it sounds a tad more clear to my ears than X3 or Platinum but I don't want to open that can of worms) but it's my preference. My issue seems to be with Windows 10.  I have my VST3 plugins (Waves) in X3 and Platinum but not in 8.5. I've made sure that the folders are accessible for the scan in 8.5 but they don't show up anywhere in the plugin manager. I'm wondering if its just me or if anyone else had encountered this issue in 8.5. Haven't seen a lot of chatter about it.

Hope someone can help.